1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

He did a few bikes for Lance Armstrong to ride when he did his comeback to ride at the Tour de France, they were auctioned off after. I didn't think they were Orbea's though so he might have done some since.

2. MrP

MrP seeking inspiration

Any opinions on this guys?

I went into the local bike shopp today to discuss bike, and after asking what I rode on they suggested a hybrid rather than a full on mountain bike, which kinda makes sense when I'm doing as much on road/pavement stuff as I am track riding.

They suggested this and this, as well as telling me to wait while the rest of the 2013 ranges come in.

Anyone tell me what these 2 might be like?

Thanks

3. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Pop into your local Halfords and take a look at the Voodoo Marassa http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_786861_langId_-1_categoryId_165534 and the Carrera Subway http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_810737_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Don't think I ever shared the photo of my DH bike. Here it is just after I built it.

[​IMG]

5. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Quick blast around LLandegla his morning, nice cut on my shin as a souvenir.

6. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

If you are just using the bike for commuting a hybrid bike will probably be a bit faster and possibly more comfortable depending on your preference. Mountain bike tyres have a lot more rolling resistance and a proportion of your energy gets absorbed by the shocks every time you pedal. If you wanted more versatility you could always fit some slick tyres onto a mountain bike.

I'm sure either of those bikes would be fine, just try them out and see which one you prefer (most places will let you go on a test ride).

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

WANT! Sorry for the rudenessity, but how much? I kinda sorta plan on buying a proper one next summer.. Now I just HAD to get something on the cheap - and the Banshee Scream-setup should be rather nuke proof for the winter. (knocking wood like an absolute lunatic)

8. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

I know nothing about DH bikes, but that looks pretty awesome. I just realised you're from the same town as me, where do you ride?

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Also a quick video from today:

The DH-thing starts from 4:10 or something, mainly it's just to show how close the damn hill is to where I live :)

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I never totalled up the cost of it. Most of the bits were off my old Session, got a really good deal on the frame and fork though. :thumb:

Usually Aston Hill, Forest of Dean or further afield for DH. I'm really enjoying trail bikes at the moment though so spending a lot of time at Peaslake, Woburn and out towards Monmouth. I actually live in London during the week so also riding to work on my new single speed and popping down to BMX tracks when the weather is nice. :rock:

11. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

12. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

There was a guy on my old commute who rode a Dahon, he never had any complaints about it. Seemed like a fairly smooth ride and he could keep a good pace on it.

13. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

picked my bike up last week :D 41% off with the C2W scheme

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

^ nice bike bet that cost a bit.

I've had a couple of carrera subways for commuting.

15. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

thanks. its about £380, not too expensive. i got 40% off that too

Just back from getting it mucky. took it out and thought id had it 10mins in and then I got my stride right and was okay after that. probably about 8 years since ive cycled

Last edited: 16 Sep 2012
  16. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Good bike for the money.

17. MrP

MrP seeking inspiration

Been looking at some of the light threads on bike radar as I want to keep cycling while I have the bug, and I'm already at the stage where I need lights to go out on a ride after tea (I don't get home till after 6 by the time I've sorted food and stuff it's after 7 when I get out)

There's a lot of talk about torches from cheap to ones costing more than the bike I'm considering buying! So I thought I would ask you lot. How much light do I really need to ride on a cycle path at night?

Most of my rides are about an hour in length at the mo, possibly slightly longer or shorter depending on my fitness and how far I fancy going.

I see plenty on eBay, and people seem to recommend a lot from places like dealextreme but I don't really want to order from America if I can, could anyone recommend something that's going sort me out for a bit of evening riding

18. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

My dad and his friends go ou on rides at evening/night and they all have some lights off eBay. £30 from taiwan get you about 1800 Lumens! (does that sound right? it's almost as bright as a motorbike)

I will try and get the link if you want?

19. MrP

MrP seeking inspiration

20. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I'm sure it won't be terrible, but don't expect much for the price. Nor would I expect much battery life (Cree's, although very nice LED's, do loves them some juice!). One thing I would like to point out is that this is a general purpose flashlight, not a headlight. The former is designed for tightly focused long-throw of it's light to illuminate a particular area (at least when you're talking smaller sized reflectors), whereas the latter tries to flood a large area in a 180 degree arc directly in front of the light, and tends to have a intermediate distance throw as well (illuminating what is coming in as large an area as possible).

So whilst I don't think this is a particularly bad light, I don't feel it is designed for the needs of a fast moving vehicle at night. Though I'm basing this largely on speculation and some knowledge of similar lights.

As far as what is on the market now for bike lights, well I don't have much opinion, but I do know that the Serfas stuff coming out at the moment is looking exceptionally nice for the money, and I've always had good luck with their kit. Take a glance at the 150L headlight, as that'll be more than ample for most pathway riding with a nice wide arc. If you're planning on off-the-pathway stuff, then just buy as many of the most expensive, well reviewed headlights as you can :p My main light set consists of twin Cree's being over-volted with well designed reflectors, and it's not enough for riding through the bush. I'd probably need a second set, or more, to get an ample amount of light for that.

But as always: try before you buy. See what light has the beam pattern you want, the intensity you desire, and the throw distance that works for the speed and terrain you'll be on. I generally shop for lights at night, by the way!