1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Monster Energy Drink 'Linked To Five Deaths'

Discussion in 'General' started by suragh, 23 Oct 2012.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I tried this but I just couldn't quite find it in me to finish myself off....

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

You can die from too much anything.. water.. air.. anything.

This isn't news at all, its just highlighting some people don't have limits and are seemingly incapable of reading/using common sense.

3. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

I thought that made you blind... :worried:

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I couldn't stay awake this morning. I drank a Monster and now I'm perfectly fine. Do I do that often ? No, I don't. Is drinking one every few weeks a problem ? No, it's not.

Anything (almost) is okay if consumed in moderation. This is not an exception

5. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I drink Mountain Dew every week, kinda addicted to the stuff. I love it. The major issue is some people should just not drink it.

And as regards blacking out,, it's because the high sugar caffeine content is only a short boost in energy etc. Once it's out of your system you have low blood sugar etc

I have had adverse effects from Red Bull etc in the past mostly due to not eating and relying on energy drinks.

6. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Nah, I'm more of a Cannabis guy...

[​IMG]

7. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Quick google came up with this.

[​IMG]

Withdrawal: Presence and severity of characteristic withdrawal
    symptoms.

Reinforcement: A measure of the substance's ability, in human and animal
    tests, to get users to take it again and again, and in preference to other
    substances.

Tolerance: How much of the substance is needed to satisfy increasing
    cravings for it, and the level of stable need that is eventually reached.

Dependence: How difficult it is for the user to quit, the relapse rate,
    the percentage of people who eventually become dependent, the rating users give
    their own need for the substance and the degree to which the substance will be
    used in the face of evidence that it causes harm.

Intoxication: Though not usually counted as a measure of addiction in
    itself, the level of intoxication is associated with addiction and increases
    the personal and social damage a substance may do.

From a different source (I added the colouring but didn't change the quote)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most addictive drugs

#1 Nicotine. Although studies vary, it is generally believed that over 30% of those individuals who use nicotine for a period of time become addicted. That is a high number considering the availability of the product, the manner in which it is marketed towards young people, and the deadly consequences of a lifetime of use.

#2 Caffeine. Perhaps another shocker for some, Caffeine ranks high on the list, with almost 30% of casual users becoming addicted. This stimulant is found is so many things we consume every day that you have to look hard to find a product without it.

#3 Heroin. Now, an illegal drug makes its first appearance on the list. Although one-hundred years ago Heroin was used for a variety of medicinal purposes, the medical community soon realized that people were becoming addicted in record numbers. The drug was taken off of the market, but illicit use remains rampant to this day – destroying lives of those from all walks of life, all over the world. 25% of those who use Heroin for a period of time become addicted to the drug.

#4 Cocaine. Another drug that costs families, and our society as a whole, cocaine is a heavily habit forming drug. While it does enter the list as slightly less addictive that Nicotine and Caffeine, the effects of Cocaine’s (and heroin’s) use are far more serious. Drug rehab programs list cocaine as one of the top addictions they face daily.

#5 Alcohol. The legalized drug with potentially devastating consequences, alcohol reduces the ability of your brain to function properly. Addictive for 15% of those who use it regularly, alcohol is especially problematic for young people, where binge drinking and dangerous alcohol-related activities are prevalent.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, depending on where you look on the internet you get conflicting reports, some evidence based and empirical (normally trustworthy) and some purely subjective (reports from addicts etc) - no less trustworthy in a lot of cases.

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

The worst part about it to me is the parents saying they weren't warned when the cans do indeed have a warning about not being suited for children or people sensitive to caffeine. Either they didn't think she was a child and not sensitive to caffiene (I suppose you could try to swing it...) or more likely they didn't even check the can.

I just hope no silly legislation comes about because of this. Reminds me of when some college students drank too many Four Loko malt drinks and died, resulting in them being banned from some states.

Keep in mind that, as mentioned in the article, that's in a 24oz can. Drink eight of them quickly enough to do damage and common sense says that you'll be having more than just caffeine problems!

9. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Why don't you just sniff cocaine if you really want a 'high'? It's probably safer than those energy drinks anyway (just kidding of course ;)).

Seriously though who the hell drinks this kind of stuff!? And which parents allows their children to drink it...

But having said that if these people really died because they overdosed on caffeine I would have thought they needed much more than what's inside a few cans of Monster, even if it's certainly not healthy to drink that much in a short period. Perhaps they had an unusual aversion to caffeine, or there was something else in the cans which killed them...

10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Meh I, for one, have felt like killing someone every time I try to drink that crap.

EDIT:

Also Jägermeister doesn't want to have any connection with red bull, and when a manufacturer of such terrible poison dislikes an energy drink brand, you just have to ask yourself how bad is the other stuff..

Kids, stay off the juice ;)

11. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Drank 4 litres of 50/50 Jager & Red Bull (mixed in 2l Cola bottles) on the last day of Download festival this year; it's a pick me up. Only ever have energy drinks when I'm tired and need to work or want to have some fun. Never really felt any negative effects. I even appreciate the 'bracing' flavour.

Still it's disturbing that people such as myself can be flippant about them while others can get feverish with heart palpitations and possibly die. The unpredictability is what is frightening.

12. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

One of my friends at school used to drink 2 of the big monster cans every morning before school, and that seriously messed him up, he couldn't stop tapping and would be really twitchy, also it messed up his body clock, so in the holdiays he would go to bed at 8 in the morning and wake up in the afternoon (for no reason). Never have drank energy drinks anyway due to them tasting like p*** :/

13. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

You're more likely to die from a vending machine falling on you than you are to die from Monster.

14. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

I used to have various energy drinks as a pick me up at work, sometimes hitting 5+ cans a day. Then I discovered black coffee....

Every morning without fail I'll have a triple shot black americano. Even with the caffeine content, I feel much better than when I drank the chemically created crap.

That said, I still drink energy drinks when airsofting - it's a little difficult to carry a kettle, aeropress and the rest of the bits out into the field...

But as it's been said. Moderation is the key, as well as knowing problems with your body and a little bit of sense. Not common sense though, as that doesn't actually exist (because it's not common)

15. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I drunk three monsters one after the other, caffeine just makes me slightly shaky if I drink too many.

In my younger days I used to do quite a bit of speed, stupid energy drinks don't even come close, I could drink a can and still fall asleep.

Like others have said there's always going to be someone that is susceptable, someone died from wanking to much,lol.

16. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

"Everything is poison, there is poison in everything. Only the dose makes a thing not a poison."
    -Paracelsus

17. Strudul

Strudul ~

http://www.missionmission.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/*****-energy-drink.jpg
    Just sayin.

18. Virus44

Virus44 What's a Dremel?

lol

19. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I used to drink loads of these but after a while they actually did nothing but give me the squits from the crap in them. Now im not really bothered by them same with coffee to be honest, i think in the last week ive had maybe four cups of coffee and no cans of energy drinks. drunk loads of water fruit juice and squash mind.

20. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I thought the taste of monster would naturally prevent over consumption, or just consumption.