1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs Split Screen TVs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sotu1, 9 Nov 2012.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a new TV and don't mind spending a fair bit on it (I'm looking at 50 inch +)

However, I want it to be able to do split screen. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with one of these and can recommend a good model?

I'm likely to be in one of these situations:
    -TV / Gaming
    -TV / TV
    -Gaming /Gaming (two of the same console)

And ideally want these solutions:
    -Split screen straight down the middle, where one side has one input and the other has another
    -Glasses that each show a different input

If anyone knows how this works with sounds that would also be good

Any thoughts would be really greatly appreciated

Thanks all!

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

unless you have an amazing PIP function that does this is not possible.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I have not seen a TV with this features.
    The only monitor I know that has the feature that you want, is the Dell U3011, U2711 or U2410, which of course has the inputs.

Here is it in action in this super old picture I have, of my U2410.
    The left side shows my desktop, and the right shows the laptop running Win7 RC (I said it was an old picture :) ).
    [​IMG]

I used to have my Wii connected to it where I used to have my game to the right, and my desktop to the left.

MSHunter likes this.
  4. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Goodbytes your the man!
    Now I can run a test PC while using my main rig :D

BTW which option is that in the menus?

5. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

So you mean your looking for a panel with a good picture in picture mode in normal 2d

And that also supports the 3d glasses tech that Sony used on their ps3 monitor that shows 2 different images to the viewers without splitting the screen while playing games

I think you would want something like Lg dual play

6. GoodBytes

Menu > PiP Settings > PiP Mode > PBP
    That simple.

7. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

LG has a solution for consoles. As for PIP/PBP for two inputs I have no clue but GoodBytes has an idea as you've read.

The newer 3D LG televisions are passive 3D (using polarised lenses like in the cinema). The TV's engine takes the image from the console, grabs the two halves, stretches them to fill the screen and 'polarises' each half accordingly. You can either buy the glasses designed for it. Or take two pairs of 3D glasses for the TV and swap out the left lense in one with the right in the other.

See for yourself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_GlxVCtzJs&feature=fvwrel

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Cheers guys. That effect on your monitor (picture BY picture) is ideal, I could live with that. Bt on a giant tv.

Otherwise does anyone know if the LG TV sets allow for TV and gaming overlay as well? As that's what is most likely to happen (girlfriend watching crappy tv, me playing games)

9. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

No idea but that's a hliarious and fantastic idea.

10. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Make this happen LG.

11. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Am looking at a 55 inch Sony HX8, got a demo instore. Nice tv set and does picture in picture quite nicely, HOWEVER, one input can be HD, the other must be SD. Shame. Unless you can upscale a PS3....

12. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

Theres an sd upscaling option in the ps3s xmb but ive never used it nor seen it in action. But to be quite honest, ps3 games arent to bad in sd lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

13. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

God DAMN! Now I'm wondering whether I should sell my U2311 and buy myself a U3011 or just buy another U2311 :(

14. GoodBytes

Well you have to remember something. The 2 screen are still native resolution (in my case: 1920x1200), so you can see how it scales down. So reading text is not ideal. It's more to monitor something while you do something else (example: watch a video, while you install Windows on a new system. Or play a game console, while monitoring for something from the PC)

If you need to read text, you better do Win+[+] to zoom in on your screen (Windows 7 and 8 feature).

Also, they are limitations (in the case of the U2410 and U2711, I have no idea for the U3011, it has different inputs configuration): If you have DVI on one, the other can only display: Composite, Component, DisplayPort, or VGA. You cannot use the second DVI or HDMI. So it's not perfect. So if you plug a gaming console, think of using Composite or Component connectivity. If you plan in using a Blu-ray player for TV, and your desktop is on DVI, you won't be able to get both. I think PC must be on DisplayPort (never tried it).

But aside from these small notes, it's really cool to have. I use it every time I need to reinstall a system I repair. I have setup some macro keys on my mouse to Zoom in/out in Windows so it's a breeze to use, and let me read text with ease. You can even use a program like InputDirector or Mouse Without Boarders (both free), which allows you to use your main computer mouse and keyboard with the other system, which I do when I ran the setup of programs after Windows is installed.

Also the monitor will be a bit better in terms of colors. I don't expect a large visible gap, but it is there., not to mention also that it has pre-color calibrated AdobeRGB and sRGB color profiles which helps having better colors.

ferret141 likes this.