1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Should I change?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HandMadeAndroid, 12 Dec 2012.

1. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

I'm currently running the rig in my sig. I purchased it to do 3D work and graphics. The problem I'm having with the set-up is the amount of noise it generates, it's really starting to get on my nerves. Also I'm moving to Brazil and was planning on taking the motherboard bundle with me and getting a case out there. However I get heat warning here in my cold northern flat so god knows how it will be in a climate three times as hot!

So I'm thinking of selling it and using the cash to replace it with a 3770k, z77 mini ITX with 16gb of fast ram,and a 670gtx. This will also be easy to transport.

In real world terms would I notice a performance drop? A couple of applications I run max out all the cores while rendering. What am I going to be looking at with 4 less threads available?

Thanks in advance for any advice, not sure if I'm just being OCD lol :eyebrow:

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

What cooling setup do you currently have and what temps do you currently get? Using that (and your ambient room temperature) you should be able to get an idea of your Delta T - add that to Brazil room temperature and what do you get? A switch to a cooler setup may well be in order (or an upgrade to your cooling - the H100i is a beast for cooling)

GK

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Get yourself some Noctua fans, while not cheap, they are the quietest in the industry. Don't expect to do any major OC with your computer, you buy them for quietness, now cooling.

I have them, and by sound, I don't even know when my computer is on or off. They are that quiet. All my Noctua fans are set at minimum speed. Also, if you don't have one already, get yourself a better case (replace it's fans with Noctua fans too).

Noctua fans have a 6 year warranty.

4. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Yeah I know it's the case, they're rubbish. I was playing farcry 3 today and got a load of warnings. I took the side off the case and the system was very hot, never felt anything like it. I've ordered a new system, I don't care if it's a bit slower and has less RAM. I just can't live with the noise anymore and I know it would be worse and require a lot more cooling in a hotter climate. The high pitch wine of all the fans going is driving me crazy and that mixed with the fact that I have tinnitus and trigeminal neuralgia, I just can't stand the noise anymore.

So I've ordered the following parts, ooh la la :D

• Intel Core i7 3770K,1155, Ivy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.5GHz, 5 GT/s DMI, 650MHz GPU, 8MB Smart Cache, 35x Ratio, 77W,Retail
    • Asus P8Z77-I DELUXE, Intel Z77, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16) DVI-I, Mini ITX
    • 2GB MSI GTX 670 Power Edition OC, 28nm, PCIe 3.0 (x16), 6008MHz GDDR5, GPU 1019MHz,
    • Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-14900C10 1866MHz Dual Channel Kit
    • BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX Cube Case - Midnight Black
    • Alpenföhn Himalaya CPU Cooler
    • BitFenix Spectre PRO 230mm Blue LED - Black
    • Alpenföhn 140mm Wing Boost Plus PWM Fan - Black & Blue

5. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I'm sure it would have been possible to fix your current computer... What does your cooling setup look like? Maybe you can take a photo or two. And more importantly, what kind of temperatures are we talking about? Try HWMonitor.