1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Today was the first day that not only did I stay on my bike the whole day at the trail centre, but I also managed to ride up all the hills! Minor victory but means all my road miles are hopefully giving me better legs. Normally I fall off at least 3 or 4 times and have to walk up some of the hills.

2. Malvolio

Malvolio .

This makes me weep a little, if only because I've had to deal with so many customers who, when their bikes look like this, just assume that a tenner and a handshake is all it will take for me to bring their bike back up to show room floor condition then not believing me when I tell them that just replacing the bike in it's entirety will be the cheaper option.

Sigh.

@Ramble: how are you liking that Fatty? From the reviews I've read it seems rather nice for the price, and I've convinced the owner of the shop I'm at to look into becoming one of the only Canadian dealers to carry this bike, so if you have any insights to share it would be much appreciated :D

3. JaccoW

JaccoW Overspender on keyboards

It's the price you pay for riding a derailleur in winter conditions as opposed to an IGH with a chaincase. :(

EDIT: I see it has been going strong for 4 years already. Nice. :)
    I have read horror stories of guys having to replace that every year though.

I ride my bike year round even in heavy winter conditions with salt that ate away part of the aluminum rims. But even after 5 years the only reason why I had to replace my front sprocket was because I had worn them down to shark fins and the play was getting excessive.

But yeah, getting that replaced was close to €100 for labour and parts with some other small niggly bits. Worth it if you have an expensive bike though and definitely cheaper than running a car.

4. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

Night ride pit stop and my new Fuji.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I'm using some spiked flats with some Fiveten shoes and you would not believe how well they stick to the pedals. It can sometimes be an issue if you do not site you foot properly on the pedal first time as changing position is difficult they are stuck so firmly! Being a n00b I like being able to bail quickly if needed and if I have to get off and push they are decent shoes to walk in.

Consensus in the mountain bike world seems to be that clipped in can cause sloppy technique but I think that is a separate debate and one I am not qualified to comment on.

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I just ordered the new parts for it. 46£ for a Shimano Acera triple ring set, a new BB, a new chain and some reflectors to make the bike entirely street legal.

Not much outlay for a 4 year old bike considering the only other thing I have changed over the years was new V-brakes recently (20£) and then brakepads and reflectors whenever they wear down/fall off.

7. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

That sounds fine, :D just like a Hope rear hub.

As for the whole flat pedal versus cleats, I think it's just a matter of preference. Like Baboon i've heard grumbles from MTB riders of poor technique when using cleats. But that's referring to tricks such as a bunny hope where it's easier to lift the rear of the bike because your clipped in. I tend to use cleats and one thing I've notice and I prefer is when going over fast jumps or drops the bike doesn't leave your feet when your clipped in which makes me feel a bit more confident. I have also heard good things about shoes like the five tens.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2013
  8. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Finally bought a bike - been trawling the classified ads/ebay/online bike stores/halfords/tri-uk in yeovil and one came up that I liked the look and spec of.

2011 Cube Aim (white/blue/black) with a deore XT makeover - Hydraulic brakes (m755 quad pistons so overkill for road/trail as they seem to be full blooded DH racing brakes), front and rear mech, dunno about the cassette/crank but if he's done the other bits then i'm hopeful that they'll be XT as well but if they ain't it'll be birthday presents for people to buy me or contribute towards. Rockshox Tora SL front fork and the usual cube finishing bits and bobs.

Was only bidder so it went for lowest price it could have and I have some spare cash for a helmet and some cycling gear as a result :thumb:

Pics to follow when it's been collected (If it checks out)

9. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

What are they best ways to prevent or at least slow this process?

10. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Less complication, don't over clean, use metal sealants, don't ride in winter, or just accept the inevitable that: winter will wreck you. I go into a bit more detail Here.

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Now the snow is hopefully finished for this winter i'm hoping to get back out onto the trails again but I am looking for advice on some new tyres. My bike currently has the OEM 2.1" Schwalbe Rapid Robs which have been fine so far but they really struggle on loose fine rocks and barely move at all through mud. I'm looking for the impossible really. An all round tyre that can handle the usual Scottish conditions of short stretches of tarmac, rooty trails, hard packed earth, loose rock and mud reasonably well!

I have been thinking of getting the Schwalbe Nobby Nic's or the Panaracer CG SC. I have ridden the Panaracers on my local trails but the bike was so far removed from my bike that direct comparisons are difficult. I am not sure if I can go for a much wider tyre with my frame (2012 Cannondale Trail SL1). If anyone has any advice on my choices or other recommendations I would be very grateful?

12. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Don't ride in winter, or just use cheap-ass components for the drivetrain. As I have to ride in the winter, I just go with the cheap-ass parts.

13. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

I've used Panaracer XC fire Pros at 2.1 They were a very good all round tire especially in the mud. I'm currently using Maxxis high rollers which are very good in the dry but suffer a bit in the wet. They still a usable tire in the wet just not as good as the Panaracers. I can't really comment on a wider tire as my bike can only go up to 2.2 on the rear.

14. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Good call on the Maxxis High Rollers Rev! I had looked at them previously and forgotten about them. Do you use the same tyre front and back?

15. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

I run a high roller on the rear and a Schwalbe on the front awesome setup in all conditions imo, tried the Panaracers and not too keen, seem to be a bit loose? Maybe just me but hey...

Da_Rude_Baboon likes this.
  16. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

I'm already on cheap components but even they cost a fair bit to replace. It's still far cheaper than any other method I suppose.

17. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

Yes I run both front and rear. I think the rear tire is turned round so the tread runs in the opposite direction.

18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

After a lot of research I have gone for 2.25 Nobby Nic Evo out the back and a 2.35 Hans Dampf Evo up front. I found a link to both of them on Bike-Discount.de which are so cheap you can buy a set for almost the cost of a single tyre here!

Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo 4x Snake Skin GateStar 2,25" TL-Ready folding - £20

Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo Snake Skin PaceStar/TrailStar Set - £55

(I didn't buy the linked set, I went for two individual fronts.) +Rep to all those who helped.

I got an email advertising mountain bike holidays last night. This video shows some highlights from the tour based out of Ballater which is near to me and where I go for my "proper" rides.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2013
  19. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Today I purchased myself a few bits:

[​IMG]

Tomorrow they will arrive :)

20. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Awesome vid Baboon, you're lucky to have such an awesome ''back park''. Denmark is flat as a pancake and there's nothing really like this around aside from a few 100m ''peaks'' in the continentally-connected part of it. I jealous!