1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Do MSI Twin Frozr HD 7950 have a high failure rates?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alfabet0, 7 Feb 2013.

1. alfabet0

alfabet0 What's a Dremel?

I'm not insinuating anything but simply asking if the above holds any water, having preorderd ordered MSI Twin Frozr 3GD5 V2/OC Radeon HD 7950 from SCAN, I'm a little nervous on whether I've ordered a turkey instead of a GPU depending on the luck of the draw:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667&Tpk=MSI%20R7950%20Twin%20Frozr

To my knowledge there are three different types of MSI Twin Frozr 7950:
    The standard version R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5
    Two Overclocked 880MHz versions:
    R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5 V2/OC with 7970 PCB apparently overclocks better?
    R7950 TF 3GD5/OC BE with Standard 7950 PCB possibly a boost edition as this link would suggest?:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-190-MS&campaign=pcm/googleshopping/PUP_Components___Graphics_Cards___AMD/ATI_HD______Series/GX-190-MS&pup_c=gs

All opinions are welcome, please ignore the signature as this build is for a relative :)

2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

If people are involved in the process of greasing them, then this could happen to any card. I don't know how the process is quality controlled.

Edit: I'd add that I had a GTX 460 Hawk and that was also fine.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2013
  3. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

had 6870 twin frozr for 15 months and never had an issues with it.

I now have a GTX670 twin frozr and i haven't had an issues with either.

I did seen overclockers had a bad batch of msi 7950's before xmas that had dodgy coolers but I wouldn't let that put you off

4. rollo

rollo Modder

I'd personally not buy from msi they have a awful record for the 7series AMD cards. High failure rates using suped up voltages for there overclocks causing more failures.

Its a company that i can no longer recommend.

In the AMD 6'series they were the front runner of my AMD choice now they are way below bottom.

5. iajo

iajo What's a Dremel?

I bought an msi 7950 tf3 from scan 2 weeks ago and whilst i cant speak for long term reliability temps at idle are around 40c max and i havent been able to get it above 65c even with kombuster so i'm guessing the cooler is fine. The card has a three year warrenty so I assume failures will be covered should they occur.

6. alfabet0

It's a hit and miss I'd have to side with rollo on this one, all the Google searches I've done seem to indicate quality control issues with MSI 7950 series, a shame as until now they've had a rock solid reputation.

I had thought to change my order to the R7950 TF 3GD5/OC BE, as I now believe it to be the boost edition, but for some reason SCAN don't list it as such and it's £1 cheaper than the standard OC edition.

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Wouldn't recomend msi cards tbh wouldnt recomend msi anything.

I have a 7870 in a 2nd rig and the fan on it hits 4000rpm as soon as the card hits 56 degrees.

So ordered a AC cooler for it and when I came to install it noticed they have those cheaky "warranty void" stickers on the screws.

Oh well new card, spent 30 quid on a new cooler and now have no warranty.

Wouldn't touch another msi product if you paid me.

alfabet0 likes this.
  8. alfabet0

I posted this thread in the hopes that my miss givings of MSI would be quashed :(

If only EVGA did AMD cards as my GTX 670 runs like dream, it's just too much of price hike for this build.
    What 7950 would you recommend?

9. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I just had to send one back damaged, ordered a 660ti instead to replace it

alfabet0 likes this.
  10. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

its just a sticker EVGA don't make cards at all lol your card might have come off the same production line as a MSI 7950

11. alfabet0

sniperdude this is something I did not know but having said that I was under the impression that all blower type graphics card where noisy which the EVGA was a nice surprise.

Like the fact that they blow hot air outside of the case, If you where to chose blower type cooler which 7950 brand would you go for?

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I've been loyal to Sapphire for AMD/ATi cards for years - I've been very pleased - if that helps?

13. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

except evga warranty is transferable and allows you to swap the cooler.

so even if the card is the same on ref designs but there are still perks for going with different brands.

14. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

the xfx double dissapation 7950 is really good. Quiet, cold and plays everything I throw at it on max settings, what more could you want. One of the cheaper ones too :thumb:

15. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

though it can have an annoying rattle at times, due to the red strip on the side, bend it slightly and the rattle goes away

16. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Havne't had the rattle yet :). Also I have it clocked at 1gh versus the stock of 800mhz.

17. alfabet0

I've just canceled my order with SCAN breaks my little heart always wanted have military grade graphics card, had negotiated a price drop to £234 inc del and 4 games and it was a boost edition as well ):

Lets see maybe I can spin this into a poll:

So that's one vote Sapphire by (jinq-sea)
    Two vote EVGA Nivdia (Pieface) and sort of (mrbungle) lets call it vote for GTX 660ti (;
    Two votes xfx double dissapation 7950 (atc95) & (PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn) until now had turned my nose up at the xfx brand perhaps I was a bit hasty? + DD sounds like a bra size to me

Last edited: 8 Feb 2013
  18. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I think if you look hard enough you'll find issues with most brands. I know someone who won't touch XFX as they've always had issues with them.

I have a sapphire 5770 which runs fine except when it was released they'd put on dodge bios that locked out some of the cores. I had to reflash it to actually get a 5770.

19. alfabet0

A valid point as a long term Nvidia user I can't help but funding fault with most 7950 brands at the moment.
    I'm half tempted to try and reorder out of some kind of twisted tech fetish I suspect I suffer from, I mean just look at the MSI Twin Frozr HD 7950:
    [​IMG]
    That's one sexy beast :blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

I know I need a girlfriend but at £234 this has to be cheaper :rolleyes: