1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows SimCity

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by WhiteKnight226, 7 Jan 2013.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

Sim city soci is available elsewhere but Sim city will never be cracked as long as most of the data is on EA servers.

If you disconnect from the servers mid game you will see quickly why. Traffic, population, Building of structures, maintaince work, City AI , list goes on and on about what is not actually on your pc.

Sim City is like diablo 3 in that reguard.

2. eVoPhantom

eVoPhantom What's a Dremel?

Not had the lizard attack only a zombie outbreak so far...... Was a suprise as I thought disasters had to be activated yourself.

3. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Zombie outbreak!? What caused that?

4. eVoPhantom

eVoPhantom What's a Dremel?

The only problem I had was people complaining of illness (due to pollution) assume that was the cause. I had to get extra police into deal with it. They didn't kill many thankfully.

5. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

I've been really enjoying my time with this so far. Learning better how to manage the city and region now to try not to run out of space too fast and make sure I have the necessary amenities working right.

Considering I haven't played a Sim City game with any great passion since SC2000 I can see this overtaking Civ V for when I want a game that I can do odd bits around the house whilst playing.

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I'm still waiting for my copy arrive in the post.

why does amazon have such **** delivery?

7. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

No

No, 4 out of those 6 have been out for ages. People here aren't interested because they just aren't interested. Make something with a huge budget that gets plastered all over the web though, and they'll be all over it.

I'm not boasting about anything. I was replying to someone who mistook me for someone who can't see beyond big publishers and big marketing budgets. Yet I seem to be the only one here looking at this farce of a game without actually throwing my money at it.

I am proud, because I have played it a lot, and thought it was overhyped crap. I've had far more fun in a few days of Arma3 Alpha than I had with months of playing BF3. And I say this as someone who loved BF 2142. I am sure if it didn't have nice graphics, it would have about 12 players.

Depends on your definition of ape.

8. Lance

Look dude.

Seriously take this somewhere else, start another thread or PM parge. I don't want to see this while we're enjoying our game.

Why do you feel you have to ruin this for us? What do you gain from it? If the answer isn't something great, don't bother replying, just take your feelings somewhere that doesn't flash up when I'm discussing a game that I've just spend £35 on and I'm trying to enjoy.

9. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Look dude, you don't get to tell me what I can talk about and where. Get over yourself.

I'm not in your game, dude. I am on a discussion forum for your game.

How am I ruining anything for you? Grow up. I posted my link to an alternative game. On other forums people like that kind of thing. On here you get all pissy about it and you seem unable to just skip past it. Sorry but you don't get to criticise me without me responding.

10. Lance

What ever dude.

I've reported your previous post as problematic. The mod's can make up their minds on whats fair in this thread.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2013
  11. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Dolphie. You sound like one of those people who thinks they're the cool kid for hating on big games and going smaller (although ive heard all the games you mentioned).

It's not just boring, it's quite laughable. Now notice this is a thread for simcity. Not one to:

A) boost your ego by posting alternative games
    B) post other games that aren't about sim city all over this thread

If you want to post about this game that's similar to sim city on kick starter then post up your own thread. People won't mind for that and a discussion about that game can begin. But constantly spamming about how you don't like a game you didn't play and also you're proud you didn't like another big game BF3 (seriously people buy games to have fun, not to try and feel all cool about it).

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Dolphie - if you want to slag off EA, start a thread for it. I can appreciate the original sentiment that you came into the thread with (recommending another Sim-City-esque game), but the holier-than-thou attitude because you don't buy EA games on principle is flame-bait anywhere on the internet except i-hate-EA.com...

On your alternate threads you will generally find a limited audience for games that are a) old, b) expansions on already well-done IPs and c) Alpha builds of games that may, or may not, make it through development.

Upshot: Be nice. That applies to everyone, not just dolphie.

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Ok: seemingly straight forward (and possibility stupid) question:

When building blocks – by which I mean, areas of zoned land surrounded by roads, I can now only ‘zone’ areas directly against the road. In previous games you could zone an entire area. Does this mean you shouldn’t bother to make zoned areas bigger than two ‘tiles’ wide, unless you are filling them with a specifically sized building (ie: school). Or, will zoned areas expand to fit the space as the building density increases?

14. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

I joined the region earlier and based on the land type I'm going to try and keep it industrial due to a lot of oil and some ore so how can I get excess workers from other regions?

15. Malvolio

Malvolio .

@Parge: Do you see that narrow green line that appears behind the primary zoning area that goes against the road? That shows you how big a building on that zoned plot of land can technically get, so for maximum density double that distance between two roads (zoning both sides the same) and you'll be set for the largest of buildings (provided the road can support it)

16. Lance

As you increase the size of your road the size of the building that will appear inside that space will increase.

Rememeber you can upgrade your roads/avenues (they are different) as you increase the size and wealth of your city.

I managed to grow as a city at about 4x the speed of my friend in a region yesterday by putting down an avenue cross in the middle of the city with a few extra avenues branching off that to key spots, and then filling in the rest of the grid with dirt roads that I then upgraded.

My advice on a flat piece of ground would be to divide your land into 8 equal size squares running from your regional highway, that way you have room to expand as you get further into the game, you end up with a Manhattan style city, which is very efficient and clean.

17. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Grrr, I wanna join this region with you guys, but Europe West 1 is consistently full!

18. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

I've started using homemade roundabout avenues (using circle road tool). They work pretty well and you can sneak a street car station in them if you make them the right size.

19. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Is it full now? (In work and not on the game sadly) as they did their improvements on it today!

20. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Sadly so, has been all day - Also at work, but the joys of RDC!