1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Who is Dr Who aimed at?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 7 Apr 2013.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I feel sure I might have asked this question before but after watching last nights episode this morning I feel I am still baffled as to what the target audience is for this program.

On a plus side I find the new assistant rather tasty, now if we could just change the doctor and lose some of the surrealism that seems to dominate a lot of the story lines these days I might just get back to liking it again.

YEHBABY likes this.
  2. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

It turned into a musical last night. Can't stand musicals :(

3. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Agree new companion is hot :thumb:

I like the new doctor, but for me the story lines seem a bit hit and miss lately. Last nights episode focused to much on cgi and costumes rather than a good story.

4. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

They keep hiding the snippets about Clara in the un related episodes. I am hoping they move the slot back to after 7pm instead of six and aim it at a slightly older audience rather than kids.

Oh and Matt Smith is rumored to be being replaced at Christmas.

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Not me, apparently. I just don't get it enough to stand a whole episode.

6. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

It's aimed at my now lesbian ex girlfriend, she has a room of dr who stuff
    I like it too

7. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

I really like Matt Smith, big fan of The Doctor having an air of surrealism about him. Still would love to see a return of The Master played by John Simm, he was epic.

Agree the stories have been weak recently, David Tennant definitely had the best stories later in his time.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Looks like they dusted off the sets and costumes for the Troll Market from Hellboy II (The Golden Army).

The stories recently look pitched towards a younger audience. Or perhaps a weaker one. When I was a kid (Tom Baker days) it was aimed at kids too, but the stories were much more hard-core scary. As they should be.

9. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I'd be glad to see Tennant back on the show...hey everything is possible when you are a time lord .

Edit: WTF I just realized that The Governor from The Walling Dead is the actor who played Jackson Lake in the 2008 Christmas special.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Apr 2013
  10. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I'm about the only person in my family who doesn't watch it. I've just never 'got' it. I've sat and watched the odd one now and then, and even the ones that were interesting weren't anything like enough to make me want to see it the next week.

Shirty likes this.
  11. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

I don't know how I managed to see any of it from behind the coach with cushions over my ears, even the music used to freak me out.

When I was about 6yo my mum(after loads of nagging) paying a small fortune for tickets to the Doc Who visitor centre in Blackpool, little did I know they had bought a decommissioned Dalek from the bbc complete with RC, which they used to greet visitors, anyway as we walked through the front door, this Dalek came flying round the corner at high speed, screaming "NO SMOKING! NO SMOKING!, EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!" in that hysterical/distorted Dalek voice, anyway I nearly tore my mum's arm off running out the front door & couldn't be convinced to go back in, needless to say my old dear wasn't very happy as the tickets were non-refundable.

Almost a Shakespearean performance...

12. TheBlackSwordsMan

Do you guys have any name's in mind for the next Doctor ?

13. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

Paddy Considine ..even the Cybermen would **** themselves.

14. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Liam Neeson.....It needs that level of acting to pull it from the crapper.

Donno why, but i never warmed to Smith. I always felt he was trying to be Tennent rather than make it his own playing too much on the "commedy" rather than the wise all knowing Dr. Probably didn't help that everything changed around when Tennent left. I guess part of me really wants to see a wise old Dr who's weary from Running and catchphrases and branding. Someone whos tired of running and wants to stand and fight.

15. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I watched the first episode of the "revived" Dr Who in 2005, at that point I watched it no further realising it was aimed at pre teens.

16. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I like Clara, but the storylines in the past two have been a bit lacking. I personally don't think Smith is a bad Doctor, but he's divided opinion more which isn't necessarily good.

17. TheBlackSwordsMan

I dropped the serie when Smith arrived, sad but true.

18. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I watched it when it came back with Christopher Eccleston. To be fair I'd watch pretty much anything with Eccleston in it, but I think the pairing of him and Billie Piper was excellent. Moreover it all felt fresh and full of ideas.

However, I pretty quickly lost interest once Tennant took over.
    It did start feeling childish, but that wasn't really the problem. If the writing is good then it doesn't really matter who it's aimed at or how superficially silly it looks. I just think the quality of the stories went down hill pretty fast and the self-concious quirkiness took over.

19. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I don't know about childish. I thought the one in 2nd world war London was very scary. The one where the kid walks around with a gas mask saying "Are you my mummy?"

Edit: just checked Christopher Eccleston was the doctor for that one.

20. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I watched it as a kid but I have never been interested in the "new" Dr Who as it just has not been as good IMO and has moved from semi-serious sci-fi to childrens TV. Or could just be my age. One thing is certain though it's much better than that Torchwood crap.

Michael Gambon would be my choice for the Doctor.