1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Mobile Phones - What to buy?

Discussion in 'General' started by AlexB, 22 Apr 2013.

1. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Hey guys,

Bit of a weird post, as I am not sure what the answer will be.

I want a new mobile. I've had iPhones since the first one, and currently have a '5. I am totally sick of the OS - the list of icons is shiiite. Even now I'm back to being jailbroken and tweaked it's still dull as dishwater, and now feels fragile to (as all JB'd phones do).

So; mighty phone quest 2013. It started just before christmas, and is still going. So far I have bought, tried and returned (or sold):
    Nexus 4 (nice enough I guess, bad at games compared to the iPhone, do like raw android)
    Samsung GS3 (hate the plastic, hate the blue-tinted screen, no better than N4 at anything else)
    HTC One (silver) (badly put together, gets hot when used, terrible camera, still worse than iP5 at games, especially 3d ones)
    HTC One (black) (better then the silver, build-wise, but same everyhting else)

And tried briefly in store, but not bought:
    Xperia Z (Felt a bit light and plasticy? Unsure about Android updates in the future?)

I need a phone for (in order):
    Email
    Twitter
    Web
    Camera
    Texting
    Facebook
    Games
    Phoning
    Music
    Video

So, what should I get? I did have an S4 on pre-order, but I cancelled it today because I just don't think I can live with the plastic-ness.

Any tips on which android phone to go for would be ace.

2. Psyance

Psyance What's a Dremel?

What about going down the WP8 route and trying a Nokia Lumia 920?
    Not got one myself but a buddy of mine swears by it! I think he just likes to be different :D
    Think it hits your requirements well, apart from being android that is!

3. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Another vote for the Lumia 920 if camera and email are at the top of your list!

- Camera is incredible
    - Outlook integration is amazing if you have outlook at work. Gmail obviously isn't as good as Android, but there are no features I miss.
    - On screen keyboard and auto-correct are wonderful. I've had Android phones in the past and this is so much better.
    - Browser is slick
    - Twitter app is pretty good
    - The Facebook app isn't as good as on Android, but its contacts/photos integration is much better
    - Battery life is excellent. I have it syncing with Outlook and gmail and it generally lasts a couple of days

4. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

No windows phones. I had a win7phone and hated it. Sorry guys :)

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm deeply in love with my Motorola Razr HD - metal and kevlar construction, so it feels very nice - not too huge but still big enough. Great battery life, currently getting about 80-90 hours between charges.

6. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Thanks, will take a look

7. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

How do you get it to last more than one 9 hour stretch? I have never had a smart phone last more than 12 hours during a normal day!

8. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Windows 7 and windows 8 phones are different. I have a Nokia 800 with 7.8 firmware... Love it. I'll be sticking to that format for the time being!

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Magic!

Honestly I don't hammer it much - about half an hour of calls and a couple of dozen emails and texts, twitter, myface etc. It manages because it's got a big battery (even bigger if you get the "Maxx" version) and ICS is pretty good at managing battery life. I'm a happy camper anyway.

10. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

You get used to the plasticky-ness of the S3, honest! I wasn't entirely convinced at first but it doesn't detract from the phone, it's only when you pick it up for the first few times you really notice it.

I'd recommend it, but maybe not so much now it's a year old unless you want to save some money. The Twitter app is ace, but that's just Androids for you. The browser's very fluid as are most things on it to be quite honest. The camera is probably its biggest drawback, but it's by no means bad by any stretch. The battery's actually half decent too, you can get it to last two days if you're not a data nut, but it will last a day of a fair bit of usage with ease.
    Overall, it's just about as big as I can live with, a bigger screen would start to get quite awkward, especially when you've only got one hand free.

11. longweight

I still have quite a few issues with my 920 but I wouldn't change it for any other phone out there.

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

a vote for the nexus 4 here, i dont understand the need to game on a phone, no really whats the point?

13. longweight

What else do you do when the toilet in your office has no 3g and is out of Wi-Fi range?

Gotta make the poops count for something.

Porkins' Wingman likes this.
  14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

E-read a good book.

15. longweight

True. I don't buy e-books and I have read all of the free ones that I want so I game.

16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I'm lovin' my one x+; ok so it is mostly plastic but it is that rubbery tactile stuff that works bloody well on phones, no hand slippage at all.

Battery is good, games are ok, gmail, Twitter and so on are fine, camera is a phone camera its ok, nowt to shout about but for quick snaps it does the job especially the quick shooting.

17. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

I just saw the s4 and WOW!!!!

I have a s3 and i understand what you mean about the look of it, especially as the s2 i had before was really mice to look at but the s4 is a much better looking phone then the s3. The metal edge is squared off and it feels nice to hold. The back is plastic but it feels good in the hand and, i dont know why, but it does feel better put together then the s3.

The best bit is the screen. Its simply amazing. the colours really pop and the black is pure black. You really must see it. This review says the colours are actually accurate.

If it was me, and my contract was up, i would jump on this, especially as it will be popular with the modding community and you will get lots of good roms

18. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Have you got one of the wireless chargers longweight? My free one finally arrived from Nokia (took about a month after filling out the online form), and it's just such a nice feature. No need to fiddle with cables when I go to bed anymore, just plonk it on the charging plate.

I'm loving my Lumia 920.

19. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

You have just reminded me that you can get wireless chargers for both the s3 and s4.

20. rollo

rollo Modder

Wireless charging sounds great but how hard is it to plug a cable into the phone.

The plastic on the sg3 does take some getting used to that's for sure, sg4 is launched but has 2 week + delay on most sites now so if you needed a phone quick you would be looking elsewhere.

Htc one is recommended by alot of review sites but not seen any in the wild or heard anyone who actually wants one that i know off where I work.( decent mix of iOS and andriod with 1 windows dude who wants to sell it think he's had enough of its issues)