1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Leaks reveal Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan LE, Titan II

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 22 Apr 2013.

1. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

and hotter and draws more power and has driver issues but hey it may work long enough to be faster (yeah right) and cheaper (everything else is)

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Where would a Titan LE sit in relation to a GTX 680 anyway?

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I call shotgun on your F.T.W.'s :naughty:

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I reckon £600 for the LE, as the GTX680 4GB are around £500.

5. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Well that's just grand...

Ordered two the other day and now I find they're releasing some uber version?? Why didn't they just release them all at the same bloody time? I mean of course it was going to sell well, despite the stupid pricing.

They've basically shafted their entire customer base for the Titan with this move. Those who bought it but weren't 100% okay with the price would have gone for the lower one. Those who bought them because they're the fastest single GPUs about would quite possibly have gone for the Ultra instead. Now one group feels like they've simply paid too much, while the other feels that their hardware is now outdated already.

6. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

"duel Gpu on a single card never worked for me. ( 5990 , 6990 owned both sold both"

I've got a 6990 and had a pair of 4870x2's before. I'll agree that on a couple of occasions there has been an odd glitch but nothing that wasn't sorted by the next driver revision. Possibly 3 games I've ever had problems with GTA IV, Metro 2033 and probably something else. I'd always rather a single chip card if there was comparable performance but crossfire and SLi problems are nowhere near as bad as they used to be.

7. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Probably institutions that want cut-price Tesla cards buying them in "bulk". I can see a university department buying a whole bunch just because they're much cheaper than Tesla but offer 2/3rds of the performance.

8. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Why are so many focused on the probable prices? If you are looking at these cards then money really isn't a factor is it? If people do but these products at their full asking price, why shouldn't nVidia charge that much?
    I think it is a good sign of what is to come, just think that in 2 or 3 generation's time, you'll be able to get this level of performance or more from a mid range card...

9. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

If you're dropping that kind of money on GPUs, cry me a river about your first world problems.

And, durr - why do you think they do it? One feels shafted for because they didn't want to spend that much, but NVidia already has their money. The other doesn't have the bleedingest-edge gear, so not only does NVidia have their money, but they're about to get another pile of it, too.

10. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

And you expect those who did spend that much just to put up with it and be happy? The Titan as a product is a perfect match for me, 6GB of VRAM for large scene GPU accelerated rendering, along with running CUDA and is at a much much lower price point than an equivalent Tesla or Quadro card. It also has the ability to play games pretty damn well, which means having multiple rigs isn't necessary either. Just because you don't have a use for it doesn't mean others don't.

And if you read my comment properly rather than reeling at the price of a Titan, then you'd have seen at no point did I say it would hurt Nvidia. This is a dick move, but one they can get away with without consequence.

11. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

I'll be going Tri for sure if they come down :))

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

when you want the fastest who cares about power draw - you want eco friendly , go buy the cheapest passive card you can.

driver issues? LOL? really? nvidiots still banging on that drum? BOTH driver teams make good sets and bad ones ; shall we discuss the `fan switching off and burning up` NVidia cards then? bit more fatal than display issues.

the 7990 IS faster than the titan - all the reviews show this but please carry on your doing well for the nvidiot fan base.

13. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

It's not the drivers, not exactly anyway. It's Crossfire.

Fact is, it's sh*t. Soz! :)

Always found to this day that ATI/AMD cards have always had the nicer looking shaders and 2D. Just couldn't cope with the cons.

14. Snips

hehe, yeah keep telling yourself that sweatheart ;)

15. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

You should read reviews and writtings about professionnal app. The titan is not better than a GTX580 / GTX680 with most of GPU rendering or CAD soft.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-titan-opencl-cuda-workstation,3474.html

That's why I asked if nVidia softwarely cripple the Titan's. Because this is what they do with geForces vs Quadro / Tesla. This is even worse with Kepler based quadro as they also cripple the FP64 perf (1/24 of FP32 instead of 1/2 before kepler). Look at the FP64 performance across fermi / kepler quadro and tesla (which affects bitmining and GPU rendering) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Titan is a great gaming card, but is no match compared to a Quadro or Tesla for GPU rendering or bitmining. If you want a good gaming / OpenCL / bitmining card, then buy an HD7970. Titan is for gaming and will never be a cheap Quadro K5000 or cheap Tesla K20 (thanks to driver cripple).

It makes even more sense when you read about the nVidia Maximus (virtualization of a Quadro + a Tesla) : http://www.nvidia.com/object/maximus.html

If you want a kepler baser CAD and GPU rendering solution .... you need a kepler based quadro + a kepler based tesla ... thank you nvidia, I'm happy with AMD.

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

its not just crossfire - sli is just the same , nv now have `adaptive` vsync to counter it.

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

so you resort to an ad hominem attack since you cannot disprove anything I have said....

18. Snips

You've shown me nothing but AMD BS matey. Show me how the 7990 dual AMD card will run without driver glitch and cooler, quieter, faster and cheaper than the single Nvidia Titan card on offer?

Tick those boxes and I'll even give you rep ;)

19. rollo

rollo Modder

7990 is more expensive in the uk then the cheapest titan so not sure where all the price comes from.

However well it performs is countered by the fact that if you buy new release games ( and if you can afford a £800 GPU you should be ) you will encounter issues on launch with said games in SLI or Crossfire this is just a fact of life. No point comparing 1 year old games here.

Take the latest tomb raider and its issues under SLI it took nearly 1month to fix and if you have spent the kind of money mensioned above it should just work no?

Bioshock infinite also suffers under SLI and CF till its drivers were repaired.

20. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

A fast single card solution will always be preferable if the performance is there. Goes without saying...

I've just always found Crossfire to be problematic in other ways, not just performance. I used to get some very bizarre problems with tearing and missing textures. Catalyst A.I often also to blame. I was also put off by PowerPlay when it failed to work at all. Leaving me with two 5870 bricks :(.

SLi is far from perfect, and even recently I've had to disable it on occasion. But from experience I'd say it's much better. Couldn't care less about all the fanboy stuff, I just know what I've come to prefer :)

And with how the Titans scale, I'm pretty sure I'll go with the investment (soon) :)