1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Who do you use to host your websites?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jamsand, 25 Feb 2013.

1. CraigWatson

CraigWatson Level Chuck Norris

My first host (from 2005 to 2008) was 1&1, who I will never, ever touch again for as long as I live. Technical support was horrendous, and the plan itself wasn't great value either. They seem to thrive on advertising themselves into the market and getting you tied into their hosting. Their target market (i.e. non-tech-savvy people with no web design experience) find it hard to use FTP, let alone move hosting providers so they get their lock-in.

My second host (from 2008 to 2012) was EvoHosting - I seriously, seriously cannot recommend these guys enough. Their support was amazing, they have an extremely detailed blog where they detail their outages and planned maintenance in sysadmin-speak so you always know what's going on.

Since 2012 I've been hosting my sites myself on my Hetzner EX8 dedicated server, and could certainly give you some space for a nominal fee, one BT'er to another. I run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, controlled by Puppet.My LAMP farm consists of no less than 9 (nine) virtual machines, with load-balancing Apache servers and a Percona XtraDB MySQL database cluster meaning that even when I apply kernel updates and security patches, I have a continuous service, plus hourly off-site backups to a ChunkHost VM. I can provide FTP/SFTP and even Memcache(d) if you need it. Can also host your DNS records on my nameservers if you like :)

jamsand likes this.
  2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Just an extra bonus for tsohost: if you register (not transfer or renew) a .uk address (.co.uk, .me.uk or .org.uk), you get a year of lite hosting for free.

3. halfinched

halfinched What's a Dremel?

I use one.com. It's simple, cheap and efficient. I don't think I've ever noticed any downtime and the people on the online chat support are always very helpful and supportive.

4. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

I think I'm gonig to go with tso, seem to have the widest reputation overall plus presence i the UK incase i do need to phone for whatever reason. Thanks guys

Also a big thank you to both the BT members that offered to host for me! + rep

5. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

got my domain name for 3 years and hosting for a year for 23 quid that'll do me nicely thanks for all the help guys

6. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

heartinternet.co.uk or nethosed.com

7. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

thanks for info in this thread, my hosting was up for renewal and i have just moved over to tsohost as it seems to be the best price for what I want and is 1/4 of what I was paying for before so thank you nice people on bit-tech.

8. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

If anyone is interested in signing up with tsohost, there's a 10% discount code for hosting: BITTECH10

9. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I might move to tsohost as I'm currently with fasthost.co.uk and paying £6.50 a month and using less then 1% bandwidth on a 1GB package.

I do want to get into web design a little again as I've a few friends looking for simple website.

10. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

^^It'll work out a lot cheaper then. :)

11. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I love tsohosts since I moved there. I was paying ~£12 a month, but annually to blue hosts before, now I pay a couple of quid a month, I think previously I maybe have more web space/services than I needed, as I'm using no where near my limits with tsohosts and yeah it's peanuts comparatively speaking.

12. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I also love tsohost went though host like no ones business at first found about 2 out of 30 which im happy with

Tsohost and premiumseller.

13. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I'm an advocate of hostgator been with them for about 9 years I think.

24/7 live support with people I can actually understand, I hate getting some call center in India or somewhere and you are trying to explain something and there is just a huge communication barrier, there is nothing more frustrating than outsourcing.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

14. halfinched

halfinched What's a Dremel?

one.com has always been great for me. Their tech support is via online chat but they have always been helpful and nice and fixed any issues i've had.

15. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

Azure does web hosting now. It has a free tier and the paid for tiers are cheap and scalable. I can't comment on how good they are as I've only just started using it but it seems decent so far. They also have good support and you get a named support person you can email for help (could just be the paid for tier).

16. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

if you're up for the (potentially very small) challenge, check out lowendbox and lowendtalk and find yourself a cheap VPS you can host it on yourself?

depending on what you're hosting and the traffic you expect, everything they list is meant to be under $7 a month, a lot of providers do low end packages for $15/year.

on lowendtalk you'll find plenty of advice and helpful people, and the vast majority is related to webhosting.

17. dombooth

dombooth What's a Dremel?

Namesco, brilliant service.

Dom

18. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Hostgater is crap! Gave it many chances but nope!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta