1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Who do you use to host your websites?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jamsand, 25 Feb 2013.

1. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

Starting my portfolio site and looking for a good host. Considering one.com atm but looking for suggestions. Cheap and cheerful please not looking for a bespoke server or something lol.

2. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

dreamhost, but they are only really cheap when they do their 4th July/xmas 1 year specials.

3. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

I use hostgator. $8 a month or less if you pay in advance for multi domains and *unlimited* space etc.

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

5. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

I use godaddy. Don't know how good the pricing in but I've enjoyed there service. Sure there is better by I've not had a problem so far

6. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I use my self :) If you have a domain I can give you some free space.

jamsand likes this.
  7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Having used many different hosts before, avoid anyone that offers 'unlimited' anything. They will skimp on costs to offer such a service but you won't find this out until you've paid.

I can thoroughly recommend asmallorange.com, their support is second to none and only $50 for the year ($35 if you need less space)

A US based host will be better value due to the exchange rate and most offer 24/7 support so you'll be fine there, speed wise you'll hardly notice the difference for a normal website.

8. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

http://www.tsohost.co.uk - they have some £20 a year packages upto £20 a month, depending on what you need.

Rock solid, easy to use their billing systems, and I've got no complaints, basically. Been using them for almost three years for some private hosting and a business site.

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Second vote for tsohost. Their cheapest (cpanel) package is £15/yr, if you want something a bit more meaty, their cloud hosting packages starting at £35/yr are excellent value.

Like zoon says, they're really easy to use and their tech support is second to none.

And if you needed any more incentive, they used to host bit-tech's site before the Dennis days.

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

1and1 I've used in the past, but I actually prefer to host my own sites now

11. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Ditto...have had 2 websites with them for the last 4-5 years...very good service

12. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

I've had many sites over the years on eukhost. I have always found their support to be very efficient and service fantastic. Can't fault them.

13. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

I use ovh.net - There global presence and affordable. Been with them for 2 years and literally never had any downtime or problems. There User interface isn't great but i havnt found any that actually are lol. £28 for a year on the personal size.

14. Mikee

Mikee What's a Dremel?

I use e-noise. £30 a year for standard package. I've used them for work and personal sites and never had any issues.

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

GoDaddy, surprisingly...

16. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

byethost/ifastnet/SecureSignup (same guys)

Only host I've ever used so my experience is limited but they've always been quick and have helped sort my problems out.

17. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

Wow wasn't expecting as many replies usually takes a night for people to notice a thread so just left it.

I don't think my skills are quite ready for the likes of pulse8 but i'll need to keep them in mind for the future. So far I'm liking the look of tso purely because their interface looks friendly and they're going to be hosting sites in multiple locations soon as well as them being UK based the one going up against that is small orange because every review i'v found says their customer service is saintly!

18. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I'll echo that, their support is great - the times I've contacted them they actually take into account what you tell them and don't just follow a script.

19. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Godaddy where good but they are very much involved in supporting CISPA which I do not agree with.

They also screw you around when it comes to cancelling services. I specifically set to not to auto renew hosting or domain when I did have one.

Suddenly I had hosting but no domain at the end of my hosting plan. I had to call them to get a refund. A ten minute call to America.

I will go with a UK hosting in the future.

20. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

My (still non existent :rolleyes:) site is hosted through a third party with Big Wet Fish. I can't comment on how good they are as a host, because I haven't really hosted very much yet, other than a few images and a couple of pages of a blog. Ideally I'd like to get it moved to one of my own servers once the rack build for the workshop (or wherever I'm going to put the silly thing) is done, but it's going to have to stay put for now.