HTPC so... HTPC advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by law99, 30 May 2013.

1. law99

law99 Custom User Title

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/a52b30dc402d4ba0824840c77101e05e

I was pondering a blu-ray player for my new abode as I've been using a flatmates ps3.

So as I'll want a PC in the living room for spotify, iPlayer, playing stuff off the nas, I figure a single htpc would be the most robust option.

Questions:

1. Is it right what I've done above? I've never used a slim drive before.
    2. Does it come with software for blu-ray? (The drive) If not, what would you recommend?
    3. 3d - if I wanted it in the future, am I missing anything? I'm probably not bothered, but it is nice to know.
    4. Any remaining critique on the build... I've probably missed something, I always do.
    5. CPU cooler... Any silent recommendations? Not adverse to closed loop cooler... Just need quiet for obvious reasons.

All the above goes into a av-reciever.

Another consideration being, is kabini going to come along and change my build? Tbh, in n the new place I'm thinking kabini will hopefully power a small server for files and web dev. Maybe even another as the pfsense firewall with the nas using either lamp or iss and admin shares.

Additional info: another reason for using a PC is I own a colour calibration thing for my gfs work as graphic designer. So kind of nails expensive calibration of my TV.

2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Arc soft total media may be up to scratch. Might email their support. I want to see TrueHD or DTS HD MA pop up on my receiver. It is the little things eh... ?

P.s. searching/writing on tablet. So not the best research on the subject going on.

3. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

You will probably need one of these sata to mini-sata for the slimline optical drive.

law99 likes this.
  4. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Last edited: 30 May 2013
  5. halfinched

halfinched What's a Dremel?

not sure what your budget is but I went with a fanless psu to reduce noise. I considerably overspecced my htpc because i could and went a 460w modular silverstone but suspect any of these would be ok if you can squeeze it into the budget. depends how big you are on quiet :)

6. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Law99 - I'm HTPC obsessed and have done loads of testing and tinkering for blu-ray. I'll try and drop you a PM today matey, work permitting.

Arcsoft will do DTS-MA and TrueHD via HDMI with an AMD gpu, in summary. For the slim drive, you'll need an adapter. Plus, make it nice and quiet if you can.

I'll try and get something over to you today :)

7. halfinched

halfinched What's a Dremel?

Oh and I have arcsoft and also slysoft anydvd hd but then I have a nas and wanted to rip blurays. Both seem to do what they say they should pretty easily but haven't really delved into advanced features.

8. jinq-sea

Having just looked at your build, Law, why not go for a PicoPSU? It's silent, cheap and reduces the amount of guff you need to fit in your case making heat?

9. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

10. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Cool. I'll look at this when home. Thanks Jinq-Sea. I don't know much about small form factor stuff.

One concern is that out of three previous MSI boards I've owned, 3 have been avec flaky bios.

But I really want small... Small.. small... I reckon budget could push just over 400. But some stuff I'd be happy to acquire over time. Up and running may be the first concern. Although all the sound goodness is mucho important.

Oooo... Concern: how can I guarantee I get a quiet blu-ray drive?

Looking at pico PSU... With relevant ac adapter. Does look loads better.

Now just to cut down the bd drive noise...

Last edited: 31 May 2013
  11. law99

law99 Custom User Title

12. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Nice picks there. I love the luck of the smaller form factor cases.

I've just built a HTPC (see bottom sig) and loaded XBMC for streaming media from my nas in the other room. I went for a hugely overpowered rig because I had a spare 2500k and I want to use it as gaming rig also.

The case is massive and looks a bit like an AV receiver, but I like the look and it keeps the components cool and quiet.

The only thing I have outstanding is a blu ray player. I'm not sure which one to buy as I need to make sure it has the software included to play blu rays.

13. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

If your streaming of a nas why not try the nuc?

14. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

What is an nuc?

15. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

16. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

17. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

ah right

18. law99

law99 Custom User Title

XBMC keeps coming up and what I wonder and haven't checked is:

Ripping blu-ray... Is it possible to keep the quality, both audio and visual? I'm a bit of a sucker for seeing truehd and DTS hs ma on my receiver.

I really don't want to sacrifice quality. Tbh, I think it is best not having to buy umpteen HDDs to store the rips.

19. jinq-sea

Hi mate - no worries. Chaotic weekend. I use MyMovies and TMT5/anydvdHD/VirtualCloneDrive to play Blu-rays I've ripped from my discs to the server (super convenient).

I will get a PM to you, but my weekend has been chaotic as you like!

20. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Yeah no worries. Handing out free advice on public forums can take a backseat!

Thanks though. Your pico suggestion has already changed my ideas... Along with hopefully silent blu-ray drive.