1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU New AMD 8core CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bladesingerz, 7 Jun 2013.

1. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Hey everyone

I'm thinking of selling my phenom II 955 to a friend of mine and buying one of the newer FX proccesors.

Obviously this is just a guess, but when do you think AMD will refresh the current flagship, the FX-8350? I haven't heard from AMD in a while except their APU stuff...

edit: Current spec:

Asus Crosshair V
    Phenom II x4 955 @4GHz
    8Gb RAM
    3way SLI GTX580
    1300W Coolermaster PSU

-Bladesingerz

Last edited: 7 Jun 2013
  2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Nope.

Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

The Phenom IIs run colder, last longer and actually perform better in single-core tasks than the FX series. The 8350 is quick, but it's not really got any good benefits vs the 955. Just stick some meatier cooling on your current CPU and crank it up a few notches.

My advice would be grab the best motherboard you can, instead, that way you get all the extra features, just without the issues that the Bulldozer/Piledriver chips are afflicted with.

3. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

I'm already water cooling mine with a loop of 2x360 radiators, and I'll be watercooling my crosshair V soon to, so not much cooling left to upgrade!
    I'm running the 955 at 4,2GHz atm, I'm pritty sure thats how good it gets, right?

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You could look on ebay or somewhere for a Phenom II X6?

5. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

955 single threaded performance is marginally higher, 8350 blows it away in multithreaded software

for gaming, not really worth it as a quad core is good enough

not really a refresh, but the AMD FX-8770 and FX-9000 are launching soon, kicking the 8350 out of the flagship spot. 220w TDP on those though

6. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Am I the only one thinking that a 2500k performs better than all the AMD options listed ( and is only quad-core at that ), the only snag being the need for a new mobo?

Assuming the OP already has a gfx card so there wouldn't be too much other work to do besides maybe redoing a few watercooling pipes?...

7. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

The 2500K is bested by about 17% or so in heavily multithreaded render type applications by the 8350 if both are stock and by 7% if both are given a hefty overclock to 5GHz and 4.8GHz respectively. Not much in it once both are overclocked for stuff like wprime though. 1% or so to the 8350.

A 2600K will dump all over all the AMD chips available.

8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I'd definitely go 2500k or 3570k(as you are on water). Although I'd [personally] be looking at laying down approx £160 for mobo... so I can see how it could be a non-choice.

9. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Switching to intel is out of the question at the moment, I know they are beating the AMD CPU's at the moment but I already invested in a EK waterblock for my Crosshair V so switching to intel now would be a complete waste of money.

So my options are a Phenom II x6 or the 8770 and 9000 FX CPU's? I really haven't heard anything about these new FX procesors.

edit:What price range would these be in?

10. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I'd go for a 3570k. Might be a bit slower than the AMD in heavily multithreaded apps, but probably uses 1/3 of the power. Depends whether speed has absolute priority over everything else I suppose.

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_a10_6800k_review_apu,14.html

bottom graph - transcoding with AVX and OCL - the A10-6800K KILLS the fastest IB-E available....

12. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

13. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Yes lets not get into the intel vs AMD fight (again), I'm stuck with AMD for the moment so I only have a choice between the AMD3 socket and AMD3+ socket.

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Wow... CPU + GPU combo beats a CPU on it's own in a test that makes use of GPGPU... who'd have thought it?

regarding the OP it really depends on your budget and what you do on your PC...

15. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

The 8320 is the better choice right now, simply because of price. Aria were doing it for £113 recently and if you're a member of that cesspit OC3D you get free shipping. It's worth joining up (with your eyes closed of course) just to get the free shipping :)

At £113 it truly belies the price in pretty much every way. I put mine up against my old Xeon with the AMD @ 4.2ghz and the Xeon at 3.5ghz and when all of the cores are being used there really is no contest at all. In Crysis 3 my framerates doubled and the way we are heading (according to every developer asked) the AMDs are going to be where it's at for a few reasons.

So no, I wouldn't dump your set up and buy an Intel one as it's a false economy. Just drop in a 8320, clock it up and wait for Steamroller, then upgrade again given that AMD won't leave you needing a new socket, new board, possibly a new power supply and a sore arse.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen

I can tell you now I put my 8320 up against a 2550k in purely cherry picked benchmarks* and not once did the 2550k win. My mate even pushed it to 4.9ghz and still couldn't beat me in Firestrike.

* Given that very few of the fun apps and games we use support 8 cores we decided for a laugh to run Firestrike out of 3dmark 13 and Crysis 3. I won every time.

It's going to be an interesting six months, that's for sure. Whilst you won't get huge gains out of switching to AMD you will get proper support for the architecture, and let's face it this isn't the first time AMD have released something two years too early (see also X64 CPUs, here we are now all running X64 Oses) and it won't be the last.

They have a very autistic way of going about things, but usually get there in the end ;)

16. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Thanks AlienwareAndy, I might consider the 8320. But I'm a bit old back due to the speculation of a new flag ship coming soon.
    I mean I'll be selling my CPU to a friend of mine and he could wait a little to get it.
    The main question then becomes when is it coming? In a month? or 5 months...

17. AlienwareAndy

I heard end of summer, but it seems they want to play with their Centurion first. That's the 9000 that people are talking about and it's going to be huge TDP and 5ghz stock and cost $800 or so.

So Steamroller seems to have taken a back seat for now.

18. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Its going to cost $800?! That seams very unlike AMD...
    the huge TDP just means it will require more juice from the PSU right?

19. AlienwareAndy

Yes and probably a new motherboard given that no 4+1 will support it.

Gigabyte? showed a motherboard the other day with two 8 pins and a SATA power connector for all of the PCIE lanes. It's the first very serious AM3+ board I've ever seen, with nothing but full sized PCIE slots on, much like the Big Bang Xpower.

Ah, here we go :)

http://wccftech.com/gigabyte-confirms-upcoming-5ghz-amd-fx-processors-computex-2013/

20. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

I love the way people cant read

I replied to the 1 line that said ` a 2600k will dump over all ADM chips etc etc`

and an A10 doesn't.

so it uses GPGPU? AND? you want me to turn off an ondie feature for a benchmark? no - its a strength , and as more programmes use OCL acceleration for `stuff` , then the A100 will do well.

as for `being stuck with AMD`

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-core-i7-3770k-gaming-bottleneck,3407.html

will find the other review that shows , until you get tri fire , theres really sod all difference