1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Faulty ROG ANC headset, 12 month warranty...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by N17 dizzi, 23 Jul 2013.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

My ROG Vulcan ANC has developed a fault whereby I move and the left speaker will cut out intermittently.

Scan inform me that I am 6 months passed the 12 month warranty (bought Jan 12).

What choices do I have? £80 for a premium headset for 18 months...

Last edited: 23 Jul 2013
  2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I think blogins has some stuff in his sig about the sales of goods act which may be able to help you.

N17 dizzi likes this.
  3. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Cheers George, am reading it now. I wonder if the sale of goods act letter is the way to go

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Might be worth looking on the Asus site if possible to see how long the warranty is directly through Asus as sometimes, it's longer through the manufacturer than with the shop.

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Good point - I have found that trying to figure out the length of Asus' warranties from their website is damn near impossible though...

Edit: Usually because it can vary from country to country but still it should be easier than it is!

6. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

This. I have gone over the official Asus warranty info and can't find any fixed amount.

Edit: Just realised I already registered it with Asus when I bought it. The only thing I can see under the conditions relevant is: Warning:
    Warranty period may differ regionally, please check with your purchase Site. Which presumably means Scan... 12 months RTB

Last edited: 23 Jul 2013
  7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

The most reliable source of information on Asus warranties, in my experience, has been Bindi! Could try asking him...

8. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I am going to try to make a case with scan using my own customer loyalty first, if that fails not only will I start using OCrs more, I will use the fit for purpose point to get some money back. I think the wording Asus use means the warranty is what the retailer puts it at...

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Sales of goods Act is a good way to go as that states an item should be fit for purpose and last a reasonable amount of time.

you have up to 5 years to make a claim on Sales of goods act. for example if you bought TV would you expect it to break after 18 months ? Most people do not buy TVs every year so its reasonable to expect a decent life span out of the device.

My TV was replaced free of charge by samsung on my 3 year old one that went bang.

I also remember seeing somewhere that european warranty is 2 years so that overrides 1 year warranty. dont quote me on that though you would need to check it out.

N17 dizzi likes this.
  10. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Scan have agreed to take it back and replace after I sweet talked em'

11. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

entry 504802 in the 'why you shouldn't buy a gaming headset' log

12. mikeyandrewb

mikeyandrewb What's a Dremel?

But at least it's a happy ending. Scan are usually very good at sorting these type of problems.

13. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

:sigh:

It has fallen under the category of s*** happens

14. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

sales of goods states you have rights for 6 years, but you have to prove that the fault was there already, or the item isn't/wasn't of merchantable quality, wear and tear isn't covered, as in, if the fault is because of wear and tear, then hard luck.

the up to 6 years even applies to refurbished/second hand appliances sold by a business.

15. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Does wear and tear include a fault occurring during normal operation? It wasn't dropped or used any other way than it should be

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

whats the fault, if the cable is damaged it could be wear and tear, if it just stopped working, it may just be that it wasn't of merchantable quality

17. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Update, they have provided me with a new Vulcan Pro. It has a cloth braided cable..

Very pleased

18. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Enjoy mate!

19. SolidShot

SolidShot Minimodder

Scan get a lot of flak in the forums for the RDA process, but in this case i have to say fair play to scan and well done for being so good!

20. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I concur SolidShot. Exemplary customer service. Thanks to Michael W from their returns department for being so accommodating.

Asus have changed the cable to braided cloth, which suggests to me the old design (which I had) was susceptible to fault. I think the not fit for purpose claim may have been successful, however, still very good from Scan.