Motors Has anyone used We Buy Any Car?

Discussion in 'General' started by Matticus, 11 Aug 2013.

1. Matticus

Matticus ...

So my "trusty" Ford Focus is poorly. From what I can tell it is misfiring so could be Coil Pack, leads or plugs... or a million other things. But it starts and moves so I figured now is probably a good time to get rid as my intention was to run it until it was going to cost more than fix than was worth it. I could get away with doing all that myself and not killing the car (I have never done plugs) and it being fixed for £60, or it might turn into a money pit.

I intend to get another car on finance, hopefully something around the 8-9k mark with a relatively decent deposit (3-4k) and was intending on PXing my car, so I could either try to fix the issue and PX, I could be honest about the issue - it runs but misfires, and PX, or I could do either of those but use We Buy Any Car.

I just did a quote for WBAC (reluctantly, as I don't want marketing stuff so used another email) and for the 130,000 mileage on my 51 plate 1.6 Focus it came out as £260, or £200 with a "Ticking over fault" added.

So my question is, has anyone used WBAC? Especially VS trying to negotiate PX with a dealer? I sort of expecting to be laughed off the forecourt if I try and negotiate more than £300 for a half running Focus at an Audi or VW garage :hehe:

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Why not sell it privately? You could probably get closer to £1000... for a little bit of effort you'll end up with much more cash in hand.

If you're feeling very lazy, then webuyanycar seems comparable to the price you'd get from your dealer...

3. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Ebay, start bid of 300 and be honest. You will get more than WBAC. (probably, obviously I can't guarantee that.) we sold a car that had a few problems that I'd fixed on the bay. I was honest about them all. I was all set to scrap it for 100 quid but got 700 way more than that on ebay. Also did the same with an old 106 and got 350. All I would say though is be honest. That way people will only look if they know what to do to fix it and there is no come back with people not buying as it is jot as described.

4. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Sell it privately. The prices on WBAC aren't guaranteed they're only an estimate, the actual amount will be determined by whoever comes out to look at the car.

My cousin was going to use them as an easy way of getting rid of her mini, but by the time the guy had noted all the minor marks/blemishes she was offered £1000 less than the online quote!

The PX idea would depend on the value of the car that you're looking at getting, but mileage/tick and age should still see you able to get £300 off. Being a focus it'll probably make more than that at auction which is where the dealer would send it anyway.

5. Matticus

Matticus ...

That's for the input guys, really appreciated. In the cold light of day I think it is worth trying out at least changing the coil pack, HT leads and plugs before I do anything. I am going to see if I can hit up a breakers today to get a working coil pack to test as it looks like the Focus has a habit of eating those.

At least if it runs OK for about 6 months that's another 2k I can save towards another car and it makes this easier to sell.

Based on your input I will sell privately one way or another, I didn't want the hassle for what I thought wasn't much more but it is definitely worth it!! Unless I can find a dealer offer for some sort of min part exchange value and I still have wiggle room on the car to be purchased's asking price.

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I part exchanged a Renault 19 once for around 300 against a 3k car. It depends on the dealer and the condition of the car. Obviously fixing the issues cheaply are the best option if you can

7. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

If all you need is a coil pack, plugs and new HT leads, then the effort of fixing (which is bugger all for those things) is well, well worth it.

8. Matticus

Matticus ...

You are absolutely right if it is just the sparky bits. I am just worried it isn't... :worried:

9. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

Girlfriends dad has a focus he was complaining of lack of power. Not running right etc

I sed it will be coil pack. Plugs etc.

So i changed them and serivced it

And it solved the issues.

Dont buy a 2nd coil pack... focuses eat them for breakfast

sent from me phone :)

10. Matticus

Matticus ...

Do you mean don't buy a second hand Coil Pack? Can you point me in the direction of the Coil Pack you got?

I assume you changed the plugs, HT leads and coil pack? Any recommendations for a spark plug tool?

11. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't even bother buying plugs yet. Just take them out and give them a clean. Same goes for the leads. They can last for years. Just replace the pack and see how you go.

12. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

Take it to a mechanic/garage and find out what's wrong with it and how much it will cost to fix.

The way I see it with older cars if it's in good condition and it's problem that can be repaired for about £200 (what I would consider to be approximately a monthly repayment on a newer car). Then it's worth it as the car is bought and paid for.

Then if you really want to move it on then stick it on autotrader/gumtree/ebay.

13. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

For the cost of four plugs I think I'd change them if suffering a misfire.

Leads, probably not as you say they'll last ages, but plugs are a service item aren't they? And they're pretty cheap.

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Matticus, it's worth trying the coilpack and leads before you chuck it on eBay - dead easy to fit yourself (and consequently cheap at a garage).

15. Matticus

Matticus ...

I am going give it a go. Leads and coil pack seem easy enough. Just not sure whether to get a £25-30 one from euro car parts or a genuine ford one for £90 as I read cheap ones might not work or last long in the Focus.

Plugs - I will need to get a tool/socket and just be careful when tightening them, I have strong hands/arms I could easily overdo it like a big oaf.

16. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

If you already have a socket set you just need the right sized long reach spark plug socket. I've changed plugs many a time and never had any probs with tightening them up to much.

If you really concerned about it see if you can borrow a torque wrench from someone (or maybe buy one they are about £20 on ebay).

17. Matticus

Matticus ...

I assume something like this would work ok with these?

The coil pack I am looking at is this one which I think should be ok. There are three others on there, 1 for £33, 1 for £25 and 1 for £42 but I have no idea what the different is.

18. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Sorry if this is a slight derail (although it is proof that wbac are rip offs) my 04 laguna 1.9 dci with just under a year mot and 6 months tax, n o body work problems or faults mechanically.......£360 :lol:

19. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Yes they offer you £1000 and your get 700 when they actually see the car knock you on some damage you already listed and wasted your time. alot of people take it as they invested fuel amd think about the money waved under their nose.

But yes i have used it, when i was a car trader i used it to get a price - 10% to give for trade ins.

20. Matticus

Matticus ...

chrismarkham1982, not a derail at all. If anything a re-rail :haha: Was that the wbac in Orton Southgate, Peterborough? If so it is right near where I work, since doing a quote I look at all the cars they have lined up and just think of all that money people have thrown away...

Luckily I have fixed my car so won't have to use WBAC! Lets hope it lasts.