1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Nice work dude! :thumb:

2. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Former Minion, Opitcon with some amazing gameplay:

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I bought BF3 in the Humble Bundle last week and finally got it downloaded and installed at the weekend. Should have done this at launch, but you know what? 2142 was such an infuriating, buggy disappointment that I couldn't bring myself to buy this back then. I decided to give it a go because of Humble Bundle though.

First of all, the campaign. I got so demotivated playing the campaign, I almost didn't want to play MP at all. It is the worst FPS campaign I have ever laid my eyes on. "Tap space bar to kill this dude" Really?!

Anyway, that's not as bad as having a graphics card setup which should be able to run the game at high or ultra but still can't because of 2 year old driver bugs. A quad SLI setup with GTX 295's should be able to handle it on a single 1920x1200 monitor. As old as they are, the cards are still capable of running current games with reduced settings, but I have to bump BF3, a 2 year old game, down to almost the bare minimum of everything just to get it to run smoothly, and at that point it looks **** and I have no interest in playing it like that. There's also the problem of the second card having now been replaced after the last one died, and them now being on air temporarily. Not only does the machine sound like a jet engine when I'm running BF3, but the cards still hit 90 on all four cores with the additional clammy heat there was at the weekend. I'm going to have to get them back in a water loop ASAP.

Finally, it always sucks starting a multiplayer game 2 years after it's been released, because you're inevitably going to suck at it. I do, but I think if I can get it to run smoothly on my current hardware I'd be willing to spend some time on it and improve. I did have 4 infuriating games of Conquest the other night though, 4 straight losses (by a mile) in a row to start me off. Wonderful :rolleyes:

If any of you are interested in teaching a BF3 noob how to play, I'd be willing to listen ;) It's very different to 2142 and BF2 which I played on and off for a couple of years. I'm Unicorn7337 if you'd like to add me.

Last edited: 21 Aug 2013
  4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

5. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

More than happy to, but on my way to work.
    PS mumble.

6. Unicorn

Don't have, will get ;)

There's a good chance I'll be on this evening for a couple of hours before I collapse into bed. I'm working on the grand total of 4 hours sleep today and am therefore totally shattered, so no matter what's waiting for me in the workshop when I get back, I have no intention of trying to work there tonight.

Thanks, I'd skimmed over that info last night and saw that disabling HBAO was a necessary step even on quad 295's. I'll tune it up tonight and see if I can get it running a bit better. I was getting terrible mouse lag when in the middle of intense firefights and my avatar lags when sprinting as well, although that could have been the server I was on or just another bug.

Last edited: 21 Aug 2013
  7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I got this in the Humble Bundle, played 10mins of MP and about 3mins of SP then uninstalled.

8. Unicorn

I know, right? I'm giving it slightly more of a chance than that, but I'm still skeptical.

9. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

same as you to but I was playing battle field 2 for long time but 3 is growing on me

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Your loss.

11. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

you have to find a map for first few game that's not so one sided it puts you off from ever playing

12. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

The only reason I put so much time into BF3 was playing with the mumble folks. Made me a better player ultimately and looking forward to BF4 with the squad (s)

Made some friends in different communities also so will be fun :thumb:

13. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

I haven't played a great deal of this game either tbh...
    I found most MP games are just spawn rape fests with half the losing team frantically trying to jump onto the winning team that there isn't really a great point in playing, as the auto balance puts you on the losing team to make up numbers
    when your in a game with 32 players...and your team has LESS than 10...with all your vehicles in enemy hands... pointless, also the playerbase abuse puts the likes of WOT and COD to shame
    its a VERY non noob friendly game, much to its detriment I think as most people thinking of jumping from COD and the like get owned in the same respect and simply go back to COD, with a VERY sour taste in their mouths. ALOT of my friends did that after I frantically tried to get them off COD...that I simply went to play with them

so my experience with multiplayer is this

first to start spawnrape wins

14. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

A good run with a few jammy shots but the question I have to ask is who films themselves playing, it adds nothing to the vid.

15. October

October Mariachi Style

I'd advise getting Premium asap and starting with some of the less spawn-rapy game types (I'd recommend Scavenger or Gun Master) just to get you used to how the game (and guns) handle. Team DM servers with around 10 players are usually lots of fun once you know what you're doing, as is rush if you actually manage to land in a team who know how to play.

16. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

The problem with pub servers is the lack of comradery you get when you play with a good bunch of friends.

I play with some quite skilled players. What maps turn to base rape? If all you played was Metro then that was the problem.

17. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

That was a clip from a stream: http://www.twitch.tv/opt1con/profile/pastBroadcasts

3 simple things for new players.
    Know you classic warfare / chess strategies.
    Know your weapon.
    Know and have changed your key-bindings

Oh and vehicles are unfair :(

Conquest especially is a thinking persons game.
    Experienced players will accurately compensate for recoil whilst simultaneously managing spread bloom and suppression. stats. The real gip here is you'll be made to swap out your weapon too frequently to learn it. To be decent is to be able to get >19% accuracy.
    The default key-bindings are crap.

Vehicles don't come with unlocks, Lars Gustavsson apologised for this at some point on the BF4 live stream at Gamescom.

One last thing spotting, it's OP for those that use it. Default is Q.

18. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Vehicles are unfair?

Learn to use vehicles is the only answer to that, this is battlefield afterall not COD.

....and as for vehicles don't come with unlocks, earn them like everyone else had to.

If you don't like vehicles play infanrty only servers, it's that simple really.

19. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Conquest with tanks is the best, just remeber that "it's a VERY noob unfriendly game."

20. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Anyone new to BF3 who wants some game time with fellow bit techers come on mumble and im sure we will have some fun.

I have the next 10 days off so some BF3 is in order.