1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve announces Steam Family Sharing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Sep 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Sounds a bit rubbish to me, not being able to use another game whilst sharing one is simply frustrating.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's mostly targeted at families who have a single computer but multiple user accounts; obviously, you're not going to be trying to use the same library twice in that instance!

(Sadly, Valve seems to have missed the fact that, in my experience, the overwhelming majority of households don't bother to use - in most cases, don't even know about - multiple user accounts, just having everyone use the same administrator-privilege, no-password-required, invisible-login account.)

4. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Would you rather the status quo, of not being able to share the games at all.

5. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I like the idea of this. But then, I am about to move to Australia and the chances of me clashing with my brother or mates is more remote.
    This is the clever bit. About to be kicked out of a game. Quick purchase and keep playing. Valve know exactly what they're doing!

Last edited: 12 Sep 2013
  6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

It's just a slight upgrade to sharing your login details with a friend or whatever, since I assume the owner can still use steam chat etc whilst their friend is playing one of their games.

Not amazing but better than it is now :)

7. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I think its pretty good actually and the limitations are perfectly reasonable. Valve is a business afterall!

8. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

It doesn't sound any different to what you can do now. IE - just install Steam on another PC, put in your log in details, get your activation code, play your games on another PC (but only one instance).

This just sounds like a marketing ploy to me as I fail to see what else it offers over what we have now. I have my Steam account installed on my PC and my M11X (for low rent games) and I have no issues so long as I log out of one before logging into the other.

9. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

So it's basically a gimped but "legal" version of giving someone your username and password?

10. Gareth Halfacree

Re-read the article. This isn't about sharing your account on other computers, but sharing your library with other Steam users.

11. AlienwareAndy

So how does that differ to what you can do now?

[​IMG]

I already have my fiancee's games on my Steam account. All I need to do is double click one, put in her password instead of mine - bingo bongo ! - I can play all of her games.

So as I said it's no different to what you can do now. It may be laid out differently but it's tantamount to the same bloody thing.

12. GeorgeStorm

As I mentioned, one big difference (I assume) is that the owner doesn't have to log out for the other person to play one of their games.

13. AlienwareAndy

Yeah, but the bottom line is only one person can actually play the games .

So it's pretty much no different to now, they're just trying to make themselves sound good and bash on console games and Microsoft.

Which isn't a bad thing tbh. Apparently according to IGN PC gaming is on the incline.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/09/04/why-pc-gaming-has-exploded

That is of course if you can bring yourself to believe a single word IGN say.

14. GeorgeStorm

True, but I know a lot of people (myself included) who don't just use steam to game.
    I'm looking forward to it, it's a direct upgrade for me, means I can share all my games with my brother, and he can play them but I can stay logged in to talk to my friends as I normally would.

15. AlienwareAndy

Yeah I guess that is a nice bonus. TBH? sometimes I go for a month without even playing anything, just waffling away to my friends on there lol.

16. Gareth Halfacree

I guess it is, if you're happy giving your password to others and don't care about earning achievements, or badges, or trophies, or whatever the hell Valve call their incitements. Oh, and trust the person your sharing with enough to give them your password - which gives them complete access to your account, remember, meaning they can add and remove friends, post messages, chat, and make purchases on your account with your registered credit card.

That's a bit of a difference, no?

17. AlienwareAndy

Well on the flip side of that any one I would share my account or games or whatever with I would trust. Right now that is my fiancee, however, I would have no issues giving any of my friends my details should they want them.

That's why they're my friends, because I can trust them with anything.

Otherwise why would I want to share my games with them?

Sorry if I seem rigid but that would be Asperger Syndrome. I just see it how it is, in glorious black and white.

My grandfather once told me that if, by the time I passed away, that I had two real friends I would be a rich man.

18. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Seems fine to me - only 1 person can play a game library at a time, but you can share that library.

So if I go on holiday I can share my library with a friend who can play all my games under there name without mucking up my saves or stats or anything, and without me risking my pw.

Or if we organise a lan party and as always happens some can't make it and some don't have the games then those that can't make it can share their library with those that don't have the games for that night.

Plenty of ways its useful.

19. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

I think I like the MS implementation on the xbox one better, MS should look back at that implementation, just remove the annoying stuff of course

20. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Meh pretty worthless to me