1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Trying to find a small and relatively cheap screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by halfinched, 13 Sep 2013.

1. halfinched

halfinched What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Bit of an odd request but I built myself a nas and rather naively thought I could do without a monitor for it as once it was up and running that would be it. No such luck and disconnecting my monitor from my rig carrying it over to the server hooking it up then dc taking it back to rig to test server etc is becoming a real bind.

The server currently sits in the lounge by the sofa in a lovely innocuous fractal arrary r2 mini itx case and I need a screen I can hook up to it but that can be tucked away or the gf will get the nerf bat out!

I was hoping to find some sort of 10" lcd or less - a screen like those used in touchscreen tablets would be awesome so i can prop it up and slide it away down the side of the server when i don't need to see it but I'm not sure its possible to hijack a cheap tablet to just run the screen for the server...

To be clear my nas currently keeps dropping off the network so running a terminal connection over a network to the server isn't possible and the reason i need a screen on the server.

hope that kinda makes sense and someone has seen something somewhere that might work.

I've seen these on scan:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/7-na...escreen-mini-swivel-lcd-800x480-350-cd-m-4001

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/mimo...with-mounting-kit-800x400-300cd-m2-4001-black

but again not sure they will even work with the server...

thanks in advance.

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

3. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

What OS is the server running?

And remember you can buy online and return under distance selling regs if it is not fit for purpose within 7 days. As long as it is not damaged etc you can return fine.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I've got a small but very sturdy touchscreen from a till, I reckon it's about ten inches. Is that the sort of thing you're looking for? It's not tiny but relatively stowable...

5. halfinched

thanks for the replies, after much delving around I decided to go for one of these:

http://www.milion.com/details.aspx?pro_id=1207&product_no=L0611

Bought off that auction site. arrived pretty damn quick and seems pretty good to me at the minute. Shows bios boot runs vga and hdmi, says it runs 1024x768 over vga but my server seems happy to run it at 1156x whatever the widescreen setting just above it is in display settings :)

It's a little bright when delivered so i turned the settings down but thats not a bad thing and it even comes with a remote.

... the stuff people put in cars :)

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Have you got a link as where you got it from? Just as I'm considering a kind of portable (ish) raspberry pi mod that could do with a tiny screen.

Cheers

GK

7. halfinched

I'll pm you a link to it... for some reason i think posting links to ebay in the forums is a bad thing i'm not supposed to do.

GeorgeK likes this.
  8. GeorgeK

It's only disallowed here if you're pimping your own sales / eBay shop - otherwise it's fair game :thumb:

Thanks though - PM received :D

Have a nice big rep bomb for your trouble :)

Last edited: 18 Sep 2013
  9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'd also be interested in a link to that auction for almost the same reason as George! :)

Would remote access software not have solved your problem? I remote into my NAS and file server - neither has had a monitor connected to them since I first installed the OS.

10. GeorgeK

11. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Me too - plz just drop the link in here if you have 5min :)

I've been looking for something cheap that will let me connect the 7D up for video work and for playing with my RasPi.

12. GeorgeK

The one above is the link I was sent :D

13. dynamis_dk

Oh sorry, with you mentioning about UK I misunderstood :p

If delivery wasn't too bad and the quality 'in your hand' seems ok (as from comments above it sound good enough), I'm very tempted to grab one next pay-day :)

14. halfinched

I was expecting mine to take a week or something to arrive but it was really quick - it got held up in customs for a day as they thought I was importing it for business and wanted my companies VAT number but once that was done it arrived fast.

To be more exact bought it late on Friday 13th. Had email about import VAT issue on Monday 15th and received item on Tuesday 16th.

It was delivered via TNT - shipping cost $19

Oh and don't panic about menus being in chinese, you can change this in the settings. It took me awhile to work it out.

One other thing - the monitor doesn't come with a 12v 5amp (max) dc adapter so you will need to buy one. I got one from maplins for £12 that does the job.

15. GeorgeK

Did you have to pay a customs charge?

16. halfinched

After I emailed them and said it was a personal purchase I was half expecting delivery man to turn up demanding customs charge / import duty but i just signed for it - so no as far as i know i haven't had to pay anything else for it.

17. dynamis_dk

I've had the same before to then later be send an invoice for the customs charges - I think this was via a fedex item but I'd keep an open mind as it was a couple weeks after the item was delivered and I was all happy until the letter arrived :(

As luck would have it I'm pretty sure I've already got a couple 12v 5a adapters here so it would maybe just need the end connector changing depending on what is on it when it ships.

18. halfinched

Feck... the dread letter requesting import duties arrived yesterday adding about £20+ to the cost.

19. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

There's no TV in your lounge?

Regardless, that tiny screen looks so cool.

20. halfinched

Yeah there's a tv - but it's hooked up to my htpc and on the other side of the room. Alas the gf frowns on cables going across her carpet and I'm not allowed to recable unless i also put in full wooden floors... it's a bit of a stand off lol.