1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Planetary Annihilation

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Loafers, 22 Aug 2012.

1. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I've barely played the Alpha of it at all in the last while! Waiting for one of the lads in ZiiP to get access to the Beta in a week or two when it's out and then will properly get stuck in :)

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Accidentally ended up watching the whole of that match, haven't got it ordered, wasn't intending on buying it, looked pretty cool though, reminded me of Populous: The Beginning.

My biggest issue with that match was it highlighted that it might as well be a 2d game, with units just represented by those icons due to the scale of it. Flicked through a couple of other videos and you very rarely see people zoomed in enough to actually appreciated the graphics.

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Can say the same for Supreme Commander though as well. It's nice that it's there in any case. I always enjoy getting down into the action when something big is going on. Nothing quite like watching Monkeylords stomping over everything :D

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, same as SupCom, depends how you play really! I spend a lot more time zoomed in than some of these players!

5. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

See isn't it so good.

The planetoid thing will become apparent in beta. ;)

Camera zoom; Playing most RTS', I spend most of my time trying to zoom out to see more - and I'm not joking.

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I don't know :p

Oh don't get me wrong, I tend to always try to zoom out as well, the difference here is that since the game lets you go so far, why are they bothering to spending time/money on making everything pretty when zoomed in :p

7. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Erm, marketing vids?

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Sup com you needed to zoom out for most battles anyway till tech caught up and the game ran flawless, Worse with the expansion.

Not saw alot of videos with a huge number of units all fighting at once yet, The one I did see was pretty laggy and that was on 2 670s in sli with a 3770k proc. Wonder if the game supports SLI or CF.

Still its Alpha things can improve and they will need to thats for sure.

A player who has played alot of RTS will never zoom in, I played sup com that way in most battles, If i was bored I might of done it. But coordinating 4 attacks in different places at the same time requires you to see the entire map. Starcraft is one of the few RTS games that kinda force you to pay attension to your units as they all have abilities.

PA in high player skilled games will likely be alot of the later with no one zoomed in.

9. Parge

Starcraft is basically micromanagement so that's why its so zoomed in. Supcom is the total opposite - the whole game is geared towards avoiding micro. That said, as with all RTS games there is a small element of micro when attacking, which will require you to zoom in.

The slowdown you've seen is due to zero optimisation being done. Additionally because of the way the game is set up, with all the processing being done on the server, you won't need a SLI/CF rig to run the game fluidly, as long as you have a fairly decent rig, and are using a capable server/host. Supcom was the opposite to this (client side processing) and thus suffered from terrible late game slowdown.

10. Voluntary_Pariah

Voluntary_Pariah a Real Man™

Really wish that I had the money to back this, both back when it was being kickstarted and now on steam :(

Unfortunately, I blew all of my cash on Star Citizen. But there are some really awesome games coming out soon. Time to upgrade my rig...

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Plenty of time to buy both with SC not due till 2015 q1 at last estimate. I'd of got bored if PA before Star citi launches at its current rate.

12. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Just came out of a couple of mp matches, and I love it. I don't know how to play TA properly, and PA has balancing issues, but robotic zombie hoards of ants is glorious. At 2k units the sim chugs along alright at 10fps fine, budget restricted client machines might have a problem though.

My idea of breaking it:

13. [ZiiP] NaloaC

September 26th is the day of the Beta for all you non-alpha backers! :)

14. Parge

I know! This time next week! I'm soooo excited!

15. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

I'm debating upgrading my kickstarter to the Beta just so I can play sooner!

16. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

17. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Cool update here. Where once a publisher might have taken over, we can decide :)

18. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

And... the beta interim patch is live. Wooo. 316MB downloaded before I could recomment.

OMG OMG OMG, it's fullscreen1!!1!!!!1!

19. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

But where is the Beta?! Can't wait to try it out.

20. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

20 hours from now