1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Overclockers UK 8Pack Systems Preview and Interview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 2 Oct 2013.

1. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

*Googles planking* - yeah I reckon I could manage that :)

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

[​IMG]
    Fail.
    In datacenter/telecom you get shot for trimming zip ties like that.

3. m0zes

m0zes What's a Dremel?

Agreed, especially given the parallels being drawn between bodybuilding and OC’ing. Bodybuilding is a sport of aesthetics not brute strength, therefore focusing some more time on ensuring the product is both powerful and elegant would seem very reasonable to me.

4. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

All the cpus are tested by OCUK staff and 8Pack simply to find the best of the best. They do not sell them on at least afaik.

I got to meet the man and see these systems first hand. Impressive, massive and generally overkill.

5. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

They're sold on, but only in other OCUK systems. All the chips that don't make the cut will be put into systems lower down the product stack where the overclock demands aren't as high etc.

6. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Just to clear a few things up.

1. The 8Pack builds are 8Pack builds because that is his OC name. If he looked like Lurpac then they would be Lurpac systems.

2. Body building has nothing to do with the build so those mentioning Aesthetics over strength are miss informed. Refer to point 1.

3. The systems cabling is done in a way that allows for easy and trouble free upgrades in the future. We dont want to be cutting custom cables to then find the new GPUs that the customer wants 12 months down the line dont fit. Its just not a clever thing to do. Offering a free service and then having to spend what could be hundreds on new cables at the cost of the company is not good business practice.

4. The reason they are so large is because of the watercooling. 4x QUAD Rads sill simply not fit in unless the case is large. The 900D for instance isnt even big enough for that hence the larger caselabs have been used.

5. Many have mentioned that they are overpriced. This based on component value is probably very true. What makes up for the added funds is a build time including testing and tweaking of around 5 days. (thats alot of man hours and a lot of cash if you were to go to a garage for a car for instance). The testing up front of the cpus to ensure you get the best. An 2 man team to personally deliver your 8Pack system and to install it and ensure all is working correctly for you + a one on one support service with the UKs number 1 overclocker and hopefully soon to be the worlds number one if he carrys on as he is doing.

6. The systems are tweaked to a point where by 99.9% of you guys here wouldn't even come close. Memory timings all the way down to the thirds are tweaked until the fastest and most stable system is produced. Baseclocks, offset voltages and other frequencys often not given a moment are tested and tested until the best combination is found.

7. Show me an 5Ghz system sold in the UK that runs fully watercooled with memory at those speeds and producing benchmark scores that could place the system in the top 20 list in most cases that isnt on sub zero or in a mess sprawled over a desk in a shed somewhere. I dont think you will find one, in fact I dont think you would find many anywhere in the world at all.

8. Selling second hand chips does not happen. Chips that dont bin at 5.2Ghz for a 5Ghz system go onto a different bin sheet. These may be 4.9Ghz chips, 4.8Ghz and so on. These chips are then used for the systems that are sold as 4.6Ghz for example. When Haswell launched there was an error where one tray of 21chips was shipped out to customers and all of those chips if the customer called were replaced with shipping etc covered by OcUK.

All in all there is nothing like an 8Pack system on the market. You can buy a very high end system from Scan for instance and you can buy a very high system from OriginPC in the US. Spec them up with the same frequency memory, chip and water cooling and they will all come out at a similar cost. Which looks better is up to the user but when it comes to performance the 8Pack build will be the fastest on test.

7. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Think we hit a nerve?

All I was saying it looks messy, the system is probably very quick but 10K price tag and it looks like that.
    My opinion ofcourse.

8. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Still, 10k is a bit rich :)

9. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

What I meant was you cannot buy them on their own. In fact it is a select few that can buy the binned chips.

I anycase the 8Pack Systems are for a select clientèle who have deep pockets and little sense.

10. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Cable ties in a £10,000 rig is inexcusable. I think they need to research alternate means.

11. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Nope no nerves hit because I dont actually care for it as its nothing to do with me. All Im pointing out is the heaps of assumptions. Computer forums are as such hilarious. I sometimes wonder what people are thinking when it comes to the latest GPU or CPU, how much itll cost and how much performance is on offer. Everyone wants double the last gen at £300 and they assume a USD price of $500 means £312.50! What about import, taxes, and margins? Not to mention the board partners need to make money, thats an manufacturer cost price. The same goes for this 8pack build, the assumption is that its "extreme and awesome" is a bog standard 5ghz system thats watercooled that has a flash of paint and looks pretty to be "extreme" or "the best" this is miss guided. Id rather a mess of parts on a desk running the fastest benchmarks than a pretty case that looks like its fallen out of an mtv show. This offers that "scattered benching equipment" performance in a nice looking and well presented case thats tidy, complete and maintenance free.

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Nice idea, looks neatly implemented, guy seems to know his onions.

His facial hair, though. The ****, man. If you're going to be that beastly build wise, grow a real beard or don't have one at all!

13. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Not for me but I guess if you've got a lot of money and want high performance hassle free then it fits the bill.

14. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

I'm all for the top end running gear, don't get me wrong. I am happy to spend my money on it. All I was stating was the cable management and tubing could have been tidied up alittle better.

15. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Not wanting to split hairs or ruffle feathers, but that's not entirely true - surely the WC loop etc will require maintenance/cleaning etc?

In the interests of fairness though, I really like the look of the systems and having something that epic 'out of the box' is great - if you've got the readies! :)

16. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

would rather give nvidia or intel ten grand for a super computer/server.

17. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

You resurrected this thread for "I'd rather have a super computer"..... Really?

post count +1.... awwwwww yeah

but Roskoken is now +2. Rebel.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2013
  18. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Meh, pretty sure I can do what ever I like to be honest.

Tags: Add Tags