1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core i3-4130 (Haswell) Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 14 Nov 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Too bad that the Q6600 is not present in the perf charts. How does this i3 compare to a Q6600 ?

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

*sigh* - and again BT wont review AMD cpu`s - or if they do they use Intel benefiting titles.

why not use BF4? oh that's right , because AMD are faster than the i7 and the FX6350 is faster than an i5...

4. Meanmotion

Which would you like us to review?

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

maybe try a broader range of modern games? - anand has shown cpu scaling on AMD in the likes of TR , Cry 3 and BF3 and 4 , to the point where they actually recommend both the FX 6350 and 8350 for budget / mid range builds (along with the i3 and i5) , as they all are very suitable for single and dual high end cards.

6. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

GuilleAcoustic - unfortunately we don't test on LGA775 any more as it's too old. However, if you look here you'll find some older numbers. The Core i7-920 that we have listed in those graphs is vastly superior to the Q6600 so I think it's safe to say that because the new Core i3 is actually faster than the Core i7-920 in mosts tests in this review, it would also be much faster than a Q6600.

We've got some in the pipeline Harlequin don't worry. Out tests are not designed to add bias to our results - quite the opposite but are you then suggesting we use an AMD-benefiting title instead? ;) We will be looking at Battlefield 4 and performance but at the moment it's just one game and it's also a game that that's been heavily optimised for AMD CPUs so adding it to a CPU comparison chart would then be unfair from Intel's point of view. Unfortunately AMD has told us their higher end chips are only being sent to system builders so we're a bit stuck there at the moment, as are most other UK-based review sites. That's out of our control unfortunately.

Last edited: 14 Nov 2013
    Harlequin likes this.
  7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

I`m just sad tbh - I really wanted to see one of the highest end chips - the 9xxx or even the server kit in some of your reviews , but sadly its not the case - the 12 or 16 core are real monsters for the tasks they are well suited for!

8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

thanks Combatus!

9. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I just don't think - while you use your own test to measure CPU performance - that your CPU reviews are relevant.

I don't trust your driver, software and os versions to do this properly.

Also, on my PC I can't download your benchmark. I am greeted with some XML instead.

10. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

Just built a HTPC using one of these, the HD4000 series is perfectly fine for driving 1080p and the CPU side with a SSD makes Windows respond quickly. Topped off with a low TDP it can stay on 24/7 without costing too much.

Easily records 4 HD TV streams and plays 1080p Video over the network all at the same time. A little pricey for a dual core but it strengths makes that worthwhile.

A great little chip for most users.

11. Combatus

Do you care to explain why you think it's not relevant? As far as a budget PC goes like the ones we recommend in our Buyer's Guide it's an extremely relevant product. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by not trusting our drivers and OS versions - we use a standard version of Windows 7 64-bit and the same drivers for each motherboard socket. The software we use in the Media Benchmark suite such as Handbrake and Gimp is realworld and very popular and has scaled well and been perfectly consistent since we started using it. I've just tried the download link and it works fine for me - try this link

12. Combatus

Ah just found the link that doesn't work! Fixed!

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

I have said before when will the suite be updated?? its 4 years old now , and all the applications have been updated many times to take advantage of newer cpu`s.

14. Meanmotion

An update to our custom test suite is simply not on the cards right now but we'll certainly be looking at other tests we could transition to, and will also look at covering the other CPUs mentioned.

15. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Skyrim and Shogun... Yawn.

FFS come on Bit Tech. Your forums are lagging behind on tech news and info because you're not providing it :(

I don't understand why GPUs get the modern game treatment but CPUs are left to two old games that don't count for crap any more. I mean jeez, I know I played Fallout 3 for a long time but even I wouldn't be playing Skyrim any more.

16. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I accept its not brand new but Skyrim has a huge community following, lots of new mods, hours and hours of new content with many still playing it and is heavy on cpu usage.

So I can see the merits I testing it (along with Shogun 2 which is a big cpu lover)

Having said all that, I cant deny that having a few other newer titles would be helpful.

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

you confuse me! in some reviews handbrake is version 0.9.9 , but the version in the test suite is 4 years old :

eg

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2013/07/02/haswell-and-richland-gpu-testing/4

that's the new one

its just the all-in-one test suite which could use an update version wise.

18. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Look... I understand using Handbrake. That is fine. Gimp only if it is the most recent iterations.

However, as you are using a batch of applications that was, assumed, assembled in 2007 going buy the title, it doesn't look like a very fair test. 6 years is a long time in the world of PCs. (don't get me wrong, I don't mind that you use your own stuff... but what is relevant about it other than "people use Gimp man" ?)

Also, I'm not an AMD henchman, as I'm sure some recent arguments can attest to, but we know that Win7 needs hotfixes applied. You don't explain whether these are installed or not. Plus we know that Windows 8, love it or loathe it, is the future. Unless you want to include some linux love... ;)

Lastly, as much as I like this place, the sheer vastness of other sites' CPU tests in comparison weighs heavily on my opinion of the review. Just go look at the applications that Tomshardware tested haswell 4770k on... so many. Or head over to Techreport... so many games, IGP tested, lots of software. In fact, here is a list of stuff Techreport tested:

AIDA64 2.99.2446 beta
    Stream 5.8 64-bit
    SiSoft Sandra 2013.SP3a
    7-Zip 9.20 64-bit
    TrueCrypt 7.1a
    Google Chrome 27.0.1453.94 m
    SunSpider 1.0
    The Panorama Factory 5.3 x64 Edition
    POV-Ray for Windows 3.7 RC7 64-bit
    Cinebench R11.5 64-bit Edition
    LuxMark 2.0
    x264 encoder r2334
    Handbrake 0.9.9 64-bit
    picCOLOR 4.0 build 786 64-bit
    Qtbench 0.2.2
    MyriMatch proteomics benchmark
    CASE Lab Euler3d CFD benchmark multithreaded edition
    Crysis 3
    Far Cry 3
    Tomb Raider
    GRID (2 pre-release)
    Metro: Last Light
    FRAPS 3.5.99

I don't expect you to have to do all that... but I want to know that your software is up to date. And whilst you continue to use something with 2007 in the title I'm going to remain staunchly in the camp of "Bit-tech needs to update its CPU articles man"

Edit: I appreciate that IGP stuff may have been in a separate article.

EDIT 2: I missed this:

Fair enough, but the longer it takes, the less valid those results seem. Thanks for an honest update.

I think you are overly harsh here Andy... For starters, most of us seem to get our information from elsewhere... as you keep seeing in our posts in the hardware section when there is commotion over discussions. It's not that we are behind the times. It is Bit-tech's CPU test methodology.

Skyrim is relevant because it is CPU bound apparently - plus I still play it. But else I agree.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2013
  19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Anyone else finding it weird that all of the sudden everyone is pissed about the tests being used? Like really, why *now*? I don't recall the previous CPU test being like this.

Also to put things in a better perspective, why do you care? I agree we shouldn't be using 7-year-old tests, but since when did benchmarks ever thoroughly reflect real world results? And, since when did every program you use actually take advantage of every new instruction Intel or AMD came up with? Intel, while bored, is also un-motivated. They keep tacking on more instruction sets whether developers will really use them or not, when they could be finding a backward-compatible way of improving performance. Smart developers actually steer away from many instructions, because most people can't use them, or they're intel-only.

20. Meanmotion

The suite is a self contained executable for which we don't have the source code. Therefore we can't simply update it but would have to code a completely new version. That is something that simply isn't viable at the moment. In all honesty it will likely be retired very soon.

Tags: Add Tags