1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Bitcoin Mining ASICs (was: good enough for a home server)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jinq-sea, 4 Dec 2013.

1. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Gareth - which type of ASIC are you running on the Pi?

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

A Block Exploder. Completely useless - 300MH/s - but I wanted to play, and at ~£20 on eBay it's the cheapest option. A better choice would be the Red Fury/Blue Fury: 2.7GH/s in the same footprint and power draw, but about £150. And, as I've mentioned elsewhere on the topic, you'll never earn that £150 back. Ever. (Neither will I my £20, but like I said: I bought it to play with, not to get FEELTHY RICH.)

Last edited: 4 Dec 2013
  3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Do you mean 2.7GH/s?

Otherwise it's quite a lot worse?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hah! Yeah, 2.5-2.7GH/s.

5. GeorgeStorm

They also seem to be £250 rather than £150 :p
    Still a bit better value than the cheaper ones at £40-50 for 300MH/s

6. Gareth Halfacree

Christ, prices have shot up. I paid £21 for my Block Erupter:

[​IMG]

At the time, there were several Blue/Red Furies on Buy It Now for ~£150, too. Hey, this means I could put my Block Erupter back on eBay and double my money - now there's a thought!

7. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

See - you are going to be filthy rich.

8. Gareth Halfacree

I shall spend my newfound wealth (£20, minus eBay's cut, minus PayPal's cut, minus postage and packing) unwisely.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Don't forget all the cuts from exchanges and getting the coins into real money. :D

10. Gareth Halfacree

I'll never have to deal with any of that - in the time I've had it, I've generated around one-fifth the minimum payout value of the pool I'm using. Which is to say: I'll never get my hands on those Bitcoin fractions. I did mine Terracoins for a week, though. Got about ten of those, street value of about 3p.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Need ASICS in the 450GH range to make money in bit coins and they cost a small fortune ( £9000 give or take for a 450gh machine, payment only accepted in bit coins)

12. Gareth Halfacree

Y... nope. Even those won't work. Don't believe me? Run the numbers yourself. Remember, however, to accurately enter the delivery date: sure, if you could get one of those lovely 600GH/s PCI Express-shaped ones from ButterflyLabs tomorrow, you'd earn a few grand; but they're not being delivered until February/March 2014. Put that in, and uh-oh: "No break even in first year."

Let me put it another way: why do ASIC makers build ASICs? To make money, right? I mean, they're not doing it out of a passion for painful product development processes. So, if I design an ultra-fast ASIC which can be sold for £500 and will, in its first month, earn you £1,000 in Bitcoins - why am I selling it for £500 again? Why aren't I keeping it, mining Bitcoins for a month, and doubling my money before the difficulty ramps and it stops earning its keep?

Answer: I am. By the time the ASIC hits the general market, it's already too old to be of any use. Spending money on ASICs is a mug's game; you'd be far better off just spending that £500 on buying Bitcoins directly. Doesn't matter whether the ASIC is 300MH/s or 300TH/s; if someone's trying to sell you it, that's because they know they can't make any money using it directly.

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

So is GPU-based altcoin mining also a worthless exercise?

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

No, you can make money on those, the trouble is getting the dough out, so you ultimately transfer them to bitcoin. Depending on your setup it's a few hundred quid a months, of course with everyone jumping on the bandwagon the difficulty of these will ramp up.

15. GeorgeStorm

For bitcoins it is, not sure about the various others (I'm pretty sure it's viable for LTC for example)

16. Gareth Halfacree

For SHA-256 altcoins, yes. For scrypt altcoins, no: GPU-based mining is the only efficient way to mine scrypt, and that isn't going to change in the near future. Unlike SHA-256, which is small and easy to build an ASIC for, scrypt is big and complex and basically goes out of its way to make it uneconomical to build an FPGA or ASIC implementation - a direct response to how anybody who doesn't have an ASIC has been pushed out of the Bitcoin mining game. For scrypt coins, like Litecoin, GPUs will continue to be the only economic method of mining for the foreseeable future.

17. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I'm fascinated by this whole script coin business - will give Litecoin a go on the 7970s I think, just out of curiosity. I'm pretty sure it won't make me my fortune, though!

18. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Very easy to do, download cgminer 3.7.2 and find a pool (give-me-ltc or middlecoin or multipool etc etc etc) and then get the address.

Then for a 7970 I use a .bat file which is in the same folder as cgminer.exe and have it run the following:

call setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    call setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
    cgminer --scrypt -o xxxxx -u xxxxx -p xxxxx -I 13 -w 256 -g 2 --gpu-engine 870 --gpu-memclock 1450* --lookup-gap 2 --shaders 2048 --thread-concurrency 8192

(xxxx after o is server address, after u is username and after p is password)

Those settings work well for me, may need a tweaking for you though obviously. But there is loads of help out there. After that, just leave it running and hope you have good cooling :)

19. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Been mining litecoins on my 7950 and admittedly only have it on about 8 hours a day but so far (2 weeks) I have got 0.7 litecoins, based on their price on exchanges this was about $30 a week ago but only about $15 now :(

20. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

So everybody now knows about it and it's a complete waste of time.

You really needed to be in there first before it was common knowledge and everybody and their auty are having a go.