1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Older PC - Upgrade Time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by soopahfly, 23 Dec 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

1600mhz would of been better but your 1333 will be fine. 1.5v perfect.

Last edited: 26 Dec 2013
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Your current memory is 1.5V? That's fine!

3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Wait. So now you want an I7 4770k in a rig that sits under your TV?

This thread is just turning silly now. You try and give some one some sensible advice and immediately all of the Intel trolls turn up and all sense goes out of the window.

Why on earth would you want a 4770k in what equates to a media PC? you could only possibly want an I7 for gaming when running a pretty hefty Crossfire or SLI rig and it would only really help you out in BF4 and Crysis 3.

What I'm saying is that your system spec is now completely out of whack. Before you know it it's going to spiral out of control and you'll end up wasting money.

Right now - 6300 + 7870 or 7950 is a good cheapish combination. Overclock the CPU and it'll perform admirably.

The next step up is an FX 8 core (simply because for £109 they offer tremendous performance, especially in more recent highly threaded games) with something like a 280x. Then you reach I7 territory, but by then we're talking Titans and 780 TIs and 290s.

A logical and sensible way to build a PC is to basically look at what you do need.

Whilst I do agree that the only Intel CPU worth having now is the 4770k (and only because it has no rival from AMD at any price point) I just think you're going about this the wrong way. The most important part of any gaming rig is the GPU. Why spend a fortune on a CPU then cripple it with a mid range GPU?

4770k needs a high end GPU solution to really shine. Otherwise you're just pouring perfume on a pig. See, this is what bothers me when the Intel trolls turn up. People end up spunking money up the wall on things they just don't need and common sense goes all out the window.

4. soopahfly

soopahfly Minimodder

I was basing the spec off the prototype steam boxes that have been sent out already.

I'm hovering around the i5 4670 or the 4570. Graphics either the GTX 760 or the amd ones you suggested. All in, it should be shy of £400 and give me a good mid range gaming PC.

Not overly fussed about Amd processors as I'm not bothered about massive over clocks anymore. And I can afford to buy the faster chip in the first place. I'm just out of touch with modern PC's.

It won't be a media PC, I have numerous little boxes under the TV already that give easy access to iPlayer, Plex, Spotify etc for the wife without her getting confused by a keyboard and mouse.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

5. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

What on earth are you smoking son?

Anyways, we are not recommending the i7. i5 4670 is the best option here.

6. AlienwareAndy

No offence but I think you're about to waste a load of money where it isn't needed. Recent benchmarks of recent games (not a load of single threaded nonsense) perform equally as well on AMD CPUs as they do on the Intels, only they're a lot cheaper.

Take for example monkey boy here. Three pages back I asked him to put his money where his mouth was and run Cinebench R15 and post his results to substantiate what he was claiming (which is a pile of steaming bollocks). He didn't, then he resorts to being childish. Funny that really.

Any way, once again I point out that the most important part of any gaming rig is the GPU. Not the CPU. In fact, AMD have not bothered to refresh Piledriver because they are under the impression that once Mantle arrives (and Steam OS which is Linux) the CPU can pretty much be eliminated completely from gaming. They're also talking about their HSA.

Sadly none of this seems to be taken into account here, and thus money is being spent in the wrong places.

AMD own the future of gaming. It really is as simple as that. They are producing both consoles, as well as numerous APIs. They have Gaming Evolved too.

As for overclocking? why buy an Intel CPU that is unlocked and not take advantage of it?

I don't know, some of the nonsense being uttered here. In any recent game (where threading is being taken more importantly than ever) you'll find an £80 AMD CPU more than good enough. AMD have already said that once Mantle launches you will need nothing more than a Jaguar CPU of sorts running at around 1.8ghz, and that there will be no bottleneck from the CPU as it will be all on the GPU.

Yet you're spending twice that on a CPU and because of that your GPU will suffer :blah:

I just don't get it. It's like nobody even realises what's happening right now.

7. AlienwareAndy

Are you twelve monkey boy? or just the vacuous moron you come across as?

8. soopahfly

soopahfly Minimodder

I'm not looking at buying an unlocked cpu. These are all non k chips

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

That'll make a nice gamer. There seems to be very little between those two cpus.

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Oh Jesus, another thread derailed into a tit-for-tat Intel v AMD slanging match. Can't we have one thread here where it doesn't end up with people being called morons, monkey boys or generally trying to wind other people up?

11. soopahfly

soopahfly Minimodder

The main reason I'm ignoring AMD though is the power output of the chips.

The AMD 6350 has a TDW of 125W, which makes for a harder CPU to cool, compared to the 4670's 84w

It's a difference of 31 watt's!
    My cabinet will run cooler, the cooler will run quieter, etc...

Graphically, there's not much in it heat output wise, 170w vs 175 for the 7870.
    Although according to the Passmark website, the GTX 760 is ranked 12th overall for performance, the 7870 comes in at 23rd.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+760&id=2561

So, I've decided what CPU and Graphics to go for. I think my current Corsair 430w PSU can handle it for now. The memory can be upgraded when the prices drop again...
    So now I need motherboard advice. What's the difference between the Z and H 87's?

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Z boards allow for overclocking. H does not. Z allows for greater flexibility with multi gpus. There are other feature limitations as well with h but you probably dont want a z board.

13. AlienwareAndy

That's the 7870. I recommended a 7870LE.

The difference? the 7870 is a mid ranged card. The LE is a Tahiti GPU the same one as you find in the 7950. It has a cut down memory bandwidth (to 256 bit) and less VRAM (2gb as opposed to the 3gb in the 7950) but it's really cheap. In reality the 7870LE is probably on par with the 760 only it costs a fair chunk less.

I'm not sure your PSU can handle it, it all depends on what version of the PSU you have. One of them only has one six pin connector, doesn't the 760 require two?

When the day comes that people accept that there is more than one company who make processors and stop acting like petulant children? then fine.

OP. If you wanted an unbiased look into how the 6300 and 8350 fare then take a look here. This is an article written by the guys who basically got AMD to fix Crossfire.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Proces...cessor-Review-Vishera-Breaks-Cover/Conclusion

And I emphasise.

So what do we actually get with this release? Well, it is a bittersweet release for AMD. The pricing on these parts is not only competitive, it undercuts Intel by a significant amount across the board. The 8350 is very competitive with the 3570K, and it can be had for $30 less. The 6300 will walk all over the Intel products that exist at the $132 price point, and in fact is more competitive in terms of performance with the $185 Intel products. Again, we get a nice $50 discount for essentially the same performance. In these cases though, expect the AMD CPU to consume more power. Would it be enough to make one nervous about energy bills? Not really.

The article was written in October of 2012. Before Crysis 3, before Far Cry 3, before Battlefield 4, Metro : Last Light and so on. Things changed this year, with numerous PC titles supporting more than 4 cores. This paints the FX series in a completely different light (hence my earlier post saying that some people may want to have a good look around them).

Overclocking takes a matter of minutes.

14. soopahfly

soopahfly Minimodder

But even comparing a full fat 7950 against a GTX 760 shows the radeon to have a score of 4600 on pass mark vs 5100 for the GTX. The R9 280 is the closest to the GTX, except the r9 is considerably more money.

I think honestly, I'm not going to get the performance I'm looking for with an AMD setup.

15. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

The decision has been made Andy. Give it a rest.

16. soopahfly

soopahfly Minimodder

I'm not anti AMD either. They've been my chip of choice since the 486 days, but they aren't the blanket best choice for every situation.
    The fact that they are 35% hotter rules them out for this application. Also a $30 difference in real money is about £12 so it's not like the cost is an issue either. It's 2 weeks if you're doing a paper round or less than half an hour of my time.

If it was a standard desktop I'd consider AMD but it's just not appropriate here.

17. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Iv not got anything against AMD ether. Ill be the first to jump on the AMD bandwagon when they start been a viable option again.

There C60 chip is great also there GPU's. I even own a AMD GPU even tho Andy likes to call me a "nvidiot" amongst other things... strange fellow

Hope you didn't burst a blood vessel over this thread Andy! :(

18. AlienwareAndy

Only you clearly do have something against them because you entered into this thread talking utter nonsense and you've continued to do so.

As I've said numerous times, put up or shut up. You post the Cinebench score from your I7 to back up what you've said, I'll show you what an AMD FX can do balls to the wall when all of the cores are being used. I'll even go head to head with you on single core performance.

But no. So once again we have some one recommending Intel based on nonsense. Look at any recent benchmark from any game and it also seriously asks hard questions of Intel, especially their budget chips.

As for your last line? you're a troll. What else do you want me to say? You talk crap and post silly pictures, hence my new name for you - monkey boy. Mind you, that's rather insulting to monkeys as some are clearly more intelligent than you.

I ask you again, are you twelve? because you certainly act like it (and spell like it too).

19. AlienwareAndy

Jesus christ you're using Passmark to gauge the performance of a GPU? :duh:

I give up. Enjoy your over priced parts.

20. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

I know you have aspergers or something Andy, but there is no excuse for you turning every thread you grace upon into a sh!tstorm.

Its getting real old, real fast.

Also Andy, im dyslexic, I do the best i can with my grammer and spelling.

I'm starting my own little collection of names from you, almost like poke'mon cards!
    So far i have:
    Monkey boy
    Nvidoit [my favourite!]
    Twelve year old
    Less intelligence than a monkey
    vacuous moron
    vipid moron

Did i miss any?

Yeah, you seem to love it!

Last edited: 27 Dec 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.