1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Do you leave a router on 24/7?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by erratum1, 27 Jan 2014.

1. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I have been switching it off when I turn the pc off really to save electric, but then read this..

Do they use much electric if left on?

2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

3. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Always leave mine on and a bunch of other networking equipment xD

Router uses hardly anything I do t understand why people bother turnings them off.

If you have Infinity Fiber to the cabinet this is the worst thing you could possibly do as you will decrease your speed and it will take weeks to get it back to where it should be.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I don't know why anyone would bother turning their router off. Loads of ballache for almost no gain. I suppose you've saved the atmosphere a few kg of C02?

5. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Wow did not know this. I always turn mine off. Time to leave it on me thinks.

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

It needs to be left on otherwise you could get weird active management on your line dropping your speeds.

Happened to us on sky for a while as we had building work ongoing so couldn't keep it on 24/7, took a couple of weeks for it to get back to where it started.

7. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I now leave it on for the connection reason, so I plugged the routers and the freeview recorder to a separate extension and have the tv and pc and 360 off on the another

I'm a power weirdo Mrs says but since I got on of those energy meters I'm worse

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I never turn mine off

Apophis54 likes this.
  9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Mine has been on for 24/7 since the day it was installed (Home hub 4 with Infinity modem). It only consumes a few watts (if that) so is going to make bugger all difference to our electricity bill.

Apophis54 likes this.
  10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I never switch my VM Superhub off as it takes an eternity to boot up and is quite temperamental when it comes to connection speeds following restarts.

11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

As bungle said, and with specific reference to ADSL broadband, routinely turning off your broadband router will make the exchange think there is a problem with your line and re-profile it, ultimately leading to speeds lower than you can achieve.

For example, we had bad storms and repeated power cuts before Christmas. I lost 7mbit speed off my max download rate until the power stabilised and the line re-profiled - which takes 10 days for ADSL.

12. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

As has already been mentioned, you should never turn your broadband/cable/fibre router off as the equipment at the local exchange will think there's a problem and downgrade your linespeed. The router uses a tiny amount of power (probably about 1A at 5V), so the cost of keeping it switched on is negligible compared to other larger appliances like fridges and lights.

13. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

mine are on 24/7 for the reason of the weird management system that thinks you have connection issues. but I also run a couple of servers (web and exchange) which need a constant connection anyway.

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

We switch our hub and vbox off every night because of the combined power draw even in standby. Total draw is about 25W at the wall which is just ridiculous. It might not sound like a lot but shutting things off for approx. 8 hours every night can reduce leccy bills in the long term.

15. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I leave mine on all the time otherwise my e-mail server would get upset ;)

Plus - having DSL, I don't want any funny 'line management' stuff!

Apophis54 likes this.
  16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I actually leave mine on 25/8. Chew on that, space time continuum.

Apophis54 likes this.
  17. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

As a chemist working in renewable energy I feel the need to be a complete douche and correct this to 'CO2' lol.

I can't stand people using 0 instead of O, it's not 0xygen :p

I also leave mine on 24/7 (unless I'm on holiday, I turn everything off then).

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

My rough estimate makes that about £5 a year using a guess of 7p per KWh for the nightly rate... better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but not a massive amount. Still, every little helps and all that :)

19. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Don't worry, I'd have done it if you didn't :p

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

And as a pedant, I feel the need to be an even bigger douche and correct that to CO2. :p