1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Rome II Total War

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Wozzname, 6 Sep 2012.

1. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

was looking forward to this but the flag system, fast battles, the beta level stability and bugs make this a miss for me :( such a shame

2. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

With nVidia, I hadn't struggled for performance, but it was game features that was the deal breaker for me.

Normally I'd say yes, but I think it's a bit poo at the moment. There is Tigernos and someone else playing on the bit-tech mumble, you should stop in and join in. IP: 85.236.101.45 PORT: 10762

3. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Does anyone miss map information from the first rome, even with shogun 2 you could see on the diplomacy menu how large each faction had gotten.

4. chrisc1277

chrisc1277 Minimodder

I will do this, i need to get myself mumble first.

5. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Just picked this up the other day. Just working through the prologue before i dive into a campaign. Quite liking it though, although im getting a funky bug when i try to edit my resolution through the menus it crashes. I just edited through a text file and it worked fine.

6. NIHILO

NIHILO The Customer isn't always right!

Yeah its a great game, Ive sunk lots of time into this series since medieval 2.

Wierd issue you got there but you found a work around so thats good.

Protip, Sparta has some seriously powerfull units along with rome. Also, the germanic tribes dont have a whole lot of difference between them.

7. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

Not sure about the new seasons update... a different season for each year doesn't appeal. Would rather it was more like the original Rome or Shogun 2 how they treat seasons/year.

8. impar

impar Minimodder

9. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

4 seasons a year with a turn being 3 months would make sence. hell even 3 turns per season would be even better. but since rome 2 is still hilariously bad despite gigs of patches since release, I dont get the impression CA have any sence.

10. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

Can't say I'd agree with it being bad, quite enjoying it despite the flaws! Hopefully they see sense with the seasons though...

Oh, and phalanx formation now causes stamina to drain (just standing in formation). Personally don't agree with that. The unit is *intended* to sit in it all day, they should simply make flanking bonuses against pike units larger so they're balanced. It's too easy to do a 180 turn with them still.

Not that that's going to impede my Macedon campaign now. 16 armies converging on the east will not be stopped! (And nor do I intend on losing a single damn unit either!)

11. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

It has got a lot better since the god awfull release but that's not a compliment really.

I really want to like the game but CA have focused on releasing paid dlc before the game was in a decent state. It's a kick in the sack and a real shame given the great memories of rome 1.

One good thing is all the mod available for it, which atleast improve the core function.

Although on thinking about it all, it's still a lot better than COH 2...

:D

12. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

I'm simply ignoring the DLC (unless it's free, like the Steppes factions) until they sort out the niggles still around.

Can't think of many things that are really broken now anyway.
    Sometimes there's a bit of dumb path-finding, and as of the latest patch, AI now all clusters into a town square. Makes having 4 ballistae per army overkill. Drop [explosive] rocks on "central" flag in sieges, murder half the enemy army!

Things to improve the game (just off top of my head) would be:
    Diplomacy: Give/Receive Province
    Diplomacy: Be able to "end" a war. I don't want my client states fighting each other!
    CAI: Rather than just immediately attack for sieges, build additional ladders, rams, towers etc.
    BAI/Siege: Two besieging forces can cause the CPU to "overload" with instructions if there's no potential path between them due to a landscape feature blocking movement to a broken gate/wall.

13. impar

impar Minimodder

14. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

I've not seen a single central point, but I think there's still one for forces which are defending against an attack which have navy backup. Probably to stop navies being an "I Win" for the defender, when the attacker has no navy to aid.

Free naval transport still exists, but the transport ships aren't as OP as they were.

UI is still much the same, but with a bit of inquisitive right clicking on general/spy/noble/hero abilities you can find what trees lead to. Agreed it's not great, but at least the info is available.

Still no family tree stuff afaik.

15. impar

impar Minimodder

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Been playable for a long time if you have the pc to hack it. Dont know anyone trying to run it on a low end pc to say how good it runs.

I know on my own pc it flys through the turns in a couple of seconds instead of 30-45 seconds so pretty good improvements.

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

18. deathbringer67

deathbringer67 What's a Dremel?

Miner quibble but Im sure Attila was Hungarian, this guy has a French accent, sounds very like napoleon actor from that total war game.
    I have all total war games disappointed with rome 2 not bothering with any more of them, spent far to much time on world map and economics than doing battles which what its all about imo.

If I remember right wasn't it the huns (Attila) that sacked rome, hmmm dam im interested now, maybe ill watch and see how the game pans out.

19. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

FYI the Rome 2 'Caesar in Gaul' and 'Hannibal at the Gates' campaigns are 75% off at £2.50 each during the Total War Weekend Sale. no idea if they are any good, but worth a punt at that price now that the Emperor Edition and other patches have solved so many of the original issues with Rome 2.

In addition, the Fall of the Samurai (really enjoyable I found) Expansion for Shogun 2 is £6.24 and the Rise of the Samurai Campaign for £1.75.

These deals and deal on all the other total war Games are on steam for just over another 4 hours until 6PM GMT...

Thank Vulcan for the steam mobile app for android :D

20. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

The Huns where Eurasian Nomads that moved into eastern europe and the Huns did not sack Rome.
    It was sacked by Alaric and the Visigoths in 410, and again in 455 by the Vandals.

The battles have improved with the series and without the world map/economics you just have a battle engine.