Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Cludged :)

2. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

"Cludged" not heard that before, sounds like something that happens to clunge after sex.

3. Yslen

Haha it must be a local thing. Maybe just a me thing....

Nope, according to Google its a programming slang word for throwing together an ugly, inelegant but most importantly functional solution to a problem.

EDIT: right, well I've finished the top two rows, all working as they should be. Lovely blueish white spilling around the edges of my doubleshot caps :D I'll see if I have the energy to do any more a little later, although I was thinking perhaps I need to get a wick rather than relying on the sucker for this job?

Last edited: 9 May 2014
  4. Yslen

1:25 AM
    I decided to do a little more as I couldn't sleep. Got another row done except right in the middle one LED isn't lighting up no matter what I try. I've replaced the LED, made sure it's the right way around etc. Touching a bit of wire to the resistor doesn't do anything either. Help! :(

1:45 AM
    I seem to have fixed it by wiring the negative to the correct end of the resistor and the positive to the positive on the adjacent LED. Brightness is perfect, they're switching off properly etc. My understanding of PCBs is pretty basic, but the positive leg is basically just making contact with the copper sheet somewhere on the other side to complete the circuit, right? I must have damaged that connection somewhere, but bridging to an adjacent positive shouldn't cause any problems as it's going to the same place really? It's working, anyway, which I'm very thankful for. Just a row and a half left now.

3:45 AM: Done! Actually finally finished! And there's NOBODY HERE TO CONGRATULATE ME :(

[​IMG]

The black caps absorb a lot of the light underneath and ruin the effect. I'm considering experimenting on those though; a drop of white paint or something highly reflective to send the light back down onto the plate. As for the plate itself, well I'm never removing the LEDs from it, so it'll have to stay black :p

I'm off to bed, anyway! I'll sort out some proper pictures tomorrow, although it's hardly at its best with this Frankenstein keyset on it.

Last edited: 10 May 2014
  5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

That's dedication chap - congrats!

6. Yslen

I really like the look, it's just what I was hoping for.

7. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Nice Yslen!

Gotta love backlit pokers

[​IMG]

8. Yslen

Looks good! Hyperfuse is such an awesome set :D

I need a decent (and matching) set of caps to go on mine. I've been using this hodge podge of sets because I wanted to know if I could live with DCS as a profile and I've only got F-keys, alphas and a space bar. Still finding the space bar a bit sharp, but overall it's not so bad. Raising the board slightly helps a lot, so I should probably source some legs.

I'm currently following the IC for a JD40/SmallFry 40% group buy closely, I really want to build myself one of those boards, they look so awesome.

9. JaccoW

JaccoW Overspender on keyboards

Sneak peak:
    [​IMG]

Got me some nice caps today, pics tomorrow. :thumb:

10. Yslen

I'm looking forward to the pics, JaccoW. I'm eyeing up the Duck Viper / Eagle group buy, which should be starting in a month or so. The entire range looks brilliant, though for the most part I can only find super-clean product shots, so I don't know if they've been played with etc. The lighting seems to leap out of the images, and so on.

11. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Are the KBT Poker 2s a good purchase? Stumbled upon a selection of them on Amazon; I'd seen them on the internets beforehand and they caught my eye.

12. JaccoW

That's not a Duck case, it's metallic blue vinyl. ;)

But I hear you. When I finally receive mine I will definitely put some pictures up. Compare it to some other anodized aluminum. Shots have been trickling in however. So take a look at the Orion thread on GH.

13. Margo Baggins

Thanks for the gift JaccoW! I will get this board sorted this week and posted back.

14. JaccoW

No problem Margon, both the GID cap as well as the switch blocker are yours. ;)

Get ready though as it seems I have another board really close by as well. :D

15. Margo Baggins

That's good! I am looking forward to it :)

16. JaccoW

Got these on saturday already but as I wasn't at home until late last night...

[​IMG]
    Green Gasmask

[​IMG]
    'Charred Orange' a.k.a. Orange Dolch

[​IMG]
    Comparison of Originative's 'Charred Orange'(a.k.a. Orange Dolch) vs SkiData doubleshots

[​IMG]
    Unfettered by the harshness of postal services GMK Cyan spacebar!

EDIT: Here is my G80-1890LUADE-2 ... aka Raptor Gaming K1 :p
    [​IMG]
    My Mini Skidata. :D

Did some vinyl wrapping on the front plate of a G81-1800 and used the keycaps of a SkiData board to try to make it look like one.
    Unfortunately the Raptor is a winkey board and the SkiData winkeyless so the 1.5 mods and 7x spacebar don't fit.
    So this has slightly turned into a Unicorn vomit board XD

Moar pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 12 May 2014
  17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

At least it's the good, nourishing kind of unicorn vomit :)

18. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

love it yslen!

19. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Very nice. Liking the blue LEDs too. Makes me wonder about vinyl wrapping mine.

On an off topic note I've now retired from the rat race and gone into business for myself :)
    Hopefully explains the lack of posting and spending coming from this corner in past months. Just need to get a few invoices out and paid and maybe design a new keyset in my company colour palette ;).

If anyone interested: website
    Please be gentle on the website comments, building it myself and it's not my core expertise.

*wonders if Margin listening and prepared for PM mockups for a future ctrl-alt interest check...*

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Edited to add website link

20. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

LED question

I first noticed when I was switch-swapping JaccoW's FC660M, and have just confirmed it on my own, that there is apparently unused LED support on the arrow keys:

[​IMG]

Here is the back of one of the keys with an LED, using a 102 SMD resistor:

[​IMG]

Do you reckon if I shove a resistor on the empty R4 space in the first picture it'll drive four LEDs? Would the resistor need a different rating seeing as it would be "resitoring" multiple LEDs?

You can tell I'm a real electronics genius...

[​IMG]