Other UK Customs fees VAT etc

Discussion in 'General' started by phinix, 10 Jun 2014.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Guys

I don't remember how much was it roughly - when you order some stuff from USA or other bits of the world - how much usually Customs fees are like? VAT would be 20%, then some handling fees and then customs - would that be around additional 20-25% above VAT?

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

It stinks - 8 quid fee + 20% - but that's not entirely true. As on a few occasions I have bought things that have cost me about 18 quid, and I've then had to pay 16 quid in fees. Conversely, some things I've not paid as much as I thought I would have to pay on them. And sometimes, very occasionally, you get through scott free. *Don't do this it's fraud* some people from far away countries who aren't real companies might put down lower amounts on their customs forms :)

Last edited: 10 Jun 2014
  3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I bought a keyboard from Qtan in China a couple of months back and then he sent on a single keycap a few weeks later, and I paid not a penny in customs fees or VAT.

A lot of it is down to the agent the seller uses, Qtan has sorted out a very slick setup which seems to bypass customs the majority of the time, and his delivery times are tight.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Nothing to see here - move along :lol:

Last edited: 10 Jun 2014
  5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I think the seller would be liable for the fraud though, wouldn't they?

6. GeorgeK

But you can be found guilty of inciting an offence...

Edit: Or "conspiracy to commit"

7. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks guys.
    I remember when we ordered those commodore key caps we had lots of fees on it:)

I would like to buy camera lens from the private person from Kuala Lumpur:)
    $320 for lens. Now, 20% would be $64 then some handling fee - is it always around £8 or depends on price?

8. Margo Baggins

It totally is! I forgot what I was doing. I don't advocate doing that, nor have I ever received anything with misleading information on the customs forms. I wouldn't do that as it would effectively waiver the insurance on the package which would be useless as then I wouldn't be able to claim if my item was damaged.

Always 8 quid.

9. GeorgeK

10. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Right, so in theory I should pay $320 for lens + $64 VAT + £8 = around £230?

Do Customs always check all packages? Even those private ones?

11. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

The £8 handling fee is basically a standard flat rate for the majority of courier services to get a small profit from picking-up, holding and/or sending out the package.

If it was the consumer that made the suggestion, then both the seller and the consumer would be liable.

They do try to check everything but with the quantity of items going through, naturally some slip under the radar.

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

13. Margo Baggins

The thing that really gets me about import etc. is the complete blunderbuss approach that they take. I've had to pay import tax on things that aren't even mine, that have clearly marked on them "faulty electronics for repair" and inside the box has been fautly circuit boards, for repair, and I've still had to pay whatever hm customs think they are worth, even though, they are getting sent back the week after.

14. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I think that you can then go through the rigmarole of trying to get it back when the item is exported again... Pain though, innit.

As regards the original question, be aware that if it comes by courier, you may get the delivery as if no duty is required, and then a lovely demand for payment appears through your letterbox. That one's really annoying...!

15. Margo Baggins

Yeah but at least you get your item if your skint with a little bit of lee way on when you pay and you don't have to leave it in the post office until you got the money :D I much prefer that approach.

16. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Margon, you might find these two pages useful for information about importing goods to the UK for repair and tax relief:
    https://www.gov.uk/hmrcs-national-import-reliefs-unit-niru

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channels...uides&propertyType=document&id=HMCE_CL_001183

It would definitely be worth getting in contact with HMRC and having a quick chat with them about your import charges. You may even get lucky and get some recent ones partially refunded.

I much prefer when UPS pick up my International parcels, deliver them and then invoice later.
    As I don't drive, it's a major hassle when Royal Mail claim the item and force me to either wait a week for delivery or have to travel 7 miles on two buses just to pick it up.

Margo Baggins likes this.
  17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I find this gives a reasonable idea of how much HMRC will want off you... though HMRC and logic/reason do not go together and often they seem to make it up as they go...

18. Margo Baggins

This is very good informations! Thanks very much buddy, have all the reps.

19. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Ha, it's cool, seller is coming to UK in July and will send this to me from here! No VAT, no customs fees.
    Happy days:D

Thanks guys for such a quick response and all the info, I'm happy to be part of our forum community:thumb:

20. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I had to pay £40 in custom fees 3 months ago for some iPhone Docks.

Ouch.