1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

60% is ace, Dave. I was a bit worried that I'd hate it, but in fact keeping my hands in the neutral typing position the whole time and using shortcuts (Fn + [key]) is brilliant!

Plus - all that extra desk space for PAPER... Haha!

2. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

3. jinq-sea

GeorgeK may have something similar, if not that actual device!

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I think those samplers are fairly pointless - IMO you have live with a switch for a while to see if you'll really like it.

Sam, I just can't do it - TKL would be the minimum for me.

5. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

@Spreadie, it's not going to give me the perfect choice.. But i'd like to have SOME idea of what the switches feel like, as i've only ever had the rubber dome/membrane keyboards!

What are the normal pricings for 66-80% MKs? I've seen them from £40 (sure they're not good switches & quality) up to £140.. What's a realistic price point I should be comparing to? And can you suggest any good companies/models in that size range that I could look at (basically anything with the arrow keys included)?

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Impatience, this is what you need:

If you cover postage each way you're welcome to babysit her for a week or so, get a feel for the differences.

7. jinq-sea

You may find a friendly mech board user in B'ham that will let you come and fondle their keys as a tester, too... I can't think of anyone up there at the moment though, sorry.

EDIT: Shirty and the Carnival Cougar. That's what you need! Get on that. He's a top bloke as well.

Well - if you want an 80% board, the CM one is a good call, and they are fairly keenly priced. You can spend almost as much as you want on a keyboard though, what with all the customisations ;)

If you want a Leopold FC660, you are probably looking at about a ton - I a) can't think of any other 66% boards off the top of my head, and b) they are not easy to come by on these shores.

Your question on the switches - as long as they are cherry switches, you will be fine. The price will increase with more 'boutique' manufacturers (not Cooler Master!!), and with things like programmability etc. Remind me - are you set on ISO or ANSI layout?

8. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Only caveat being if you break it, people will descend on you from around the country like angry bees and your life will be hell forever more. Just sayin. haha. PRAISE THE MIGHTY COUGAR.

9. jinq-sea

I thought we didn't refer to the Cougar Attack Mafia in open correspondence? ;)

10. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

(*o*) Woah.. Roughly how much would postage be?

Thanks for all your help guys! After a quick google, apparently ISO is the one I'd want? (UK-style.. Although I'm sure I could get used to the US style keyboards!)

Does anyone know if Corsair are any good for keyboards? I've noticed on their forums that there's an RGB version of the K65 thats due to be available in Aug.. Although the standard one is £60ish and has Red/Brown/Blue switches!

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

CollectPlus delivery to your local cornershop would be £5.29. So £10.58 in total.

12. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

This is so out of hand... Shirty what haven't you been telling us...

13. C4FF

C4FF What's a Dremel?

Sorry to change the subject slightly, but does anyone know where I can get a Leopold FC660C in the UK? Preferably blank?

I have been doing craaaaaazy amounts of research and I think I prefer the layout of the FC660C to the HHKB. That and I wanna go Topre! :D

14. jinq-sea

In short, no (or at least I don't know of anywhere)! Here is probably your best bet.

15. Margo Baggins

You won't find one in the UK unless someone is selling one, you would have to import one. My friend had one but I think he sold it, or doesn't want to sell it - lemme ask him...

EDIT: he sold it last month

16. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Shirty, YGPM :D fuus, what i've learnt from history is that cults dont like inquiries into their business! :hehe: I'm just going to stay safe on this one.. *Praise the Cougar* :lol:

17. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

If you're after an MX 60% with arrow keys you might also consider the Rosewill micro... it's available from newegg UK. Probably a better value than importing a Leopold. It has a nice aluminum case top shell too.

18. Margo Baggins

So much case though! like the new ducky minis, so much extra case. Newegg in the UK is still liable to import charges

EDIT: Is that exactly the same board as a TEX beetle?

here is fc660c instock https://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,compact&pid=fc660ceg with the fancy key caps. $220 before shipping and taxes, so it's not going to be a cheap one!

Last edited: 19 Jun 2014
  19. jinq-sea

I already linked a FC660C above, from the same place :p

20. Margo Baggins

you sure did, but it wasn't in stock :D