1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most men would rather shock themselves than be alone with their thoughts

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 6 Jul 2014.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I have to say this is at least consistent with my experience of dealing with other people. I have no problem being in my head for hours at a time, but I do meet a lot of people who can't stand to not have a distraction for more than a minute.

2. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

If you have nothing good to focus on then you can easily just think about the bad so not surprising many people don't want to be alone with their thoughts, personally, I have to use relaxation techniques and meditation to shut my brain down for a while as I can easily spend hours thinking about the many things I want to do and how to achieve them and it does help to put things in order of necessity and preference, than again, I am a bit OCD and when I want to learn something I become totally absorbed in it. :rolleyes:

Having been through a period of depression myself I now look back on it as something that was inevitable due to past events, it's a bit ironic that I can now think about the past events quite easily but I don't want to think about the time when I was depressed, as that's..ugh...depressing and scary and I don't want to go there again :nono:

Last edited: 7 Jul 2014
  3. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Guess i'm in the remaining third I think about loads of crap for hours.

My latest gibberish was 'what if I had a portal to the past' I would want to show them a computer.

I would need a generator, petrol, extension leads, light bulbs... if they had no electricity just candles that is.. then I would need to explain how dangerous petrol is cause the kids might try to drink it and that the generator needs to be outside cause of carbon monoxide.

How do you explain how a computer works? Could give a brief overview but would have to explain components are made by multi billion dollar companys we use technology every day but most don't really know how it actually works.

Then there's the internet and video games.

And what if I was suddenly in cave men times could I teach them English? Also I don't know how anything is made that could help them.:wallbash:

See I think crap all the time.

4. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

So you want to be a teacher? Not crap, creative thinking ;)

I recently read, "Left and Right Brain" by Sharon Tenenbaum.
    A photographer's understanding of how these mindsets affect our visual interpretation of art.

The book is aimed at how and why composition in art and in my case photography, can make an image that people like, people often say "I like that picture" (assuming it not for the usual erotic reasons if it's a nude, etc) but why do they like it?

Cognitive Neuroscientists at Drexel and Northwest universities have found that the flashes of insight that precede A-ha moments are accompanied by a large burst of neural activity in the brains Right hemisphere.

It is actually rare when a streak of original thought comes through an elaborate well-articulated sentence. It actually mostly comes through an A-ha moment and only later as we let it ‘sink in’ the thought surfaces and we can dress it with words.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

This is just too funny :D

6. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Wow. I love nothing more than my own time and thoughts, infact, I'd rather be in pain than be without them!

7. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Yeh, there's always one, "Beat me, beat me, call me Barbara :lol:

8. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

The problem is never my own thoughts, it's the thoughts of others and all their jabber, jabber, jabber. :)