1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Tesoro Gaming Peripherals Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 16 Oct 2014.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Looks like they took inspiration from Mad Catz. Pretty nutty styling. Even their logo looks similar to the Cyborg branding. (talking about the mouse)

Last edited: 16 Oct 2014
  3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

It's nice that the keyboard is fully programmable, there aren't many consumer mech keyboards that are. It's just a shame like all the others that are it looks horrible! at that price point I would probably go for a CM Trigger Z as it looks nicer and offers pretty much the same functionality bar those little three buttons at the front, and no usb ports and soundcard. But the CM MECH (even wilder styled) has a usb3.0 hub and a soundcard.

4. hierax

hierax What's a Dremel?

Does this mean I simply cannot get a gaming headset that caters for a gamers needs for less than £50? It is quite concerning that "enthusiast" is beginning to mean "elitist".

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I agree, I also think it is quite disconcerting that 'styling' seems to mean more often than not 'make it look like a Transformer'. Is there really nothing else they can do?

6. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Not at all - it's just below £50 there are usually (but not always) compromises to be made in terms of comfort or sound quality or both, whereas above this, you generally get more rounded packages. They still cater for enthusiasts and gamers but as with most things, the more you pay, the better things get, with some exceptions of course and the £50-100 price bracket generally yeilds more top-scoring headsets than the £20-50 area does.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

The extras to game on pc are getting quiet high in price really. Sure you could spend £10 at tesco and buy all 3 bits cheap but the reality is you need a half decent mouse and keyboard and headset. This is more so if your into online gaming. You can easily spend more on those 3 items than most have on there entire pc base unit.

If you buy a top end mouse for gaming and a high end mech keyboard with a high end headset your not getting much change out of £500. ( and thats buying the headset with mic option and not the seperate option as you should do)

Its why logitech is so popular there entire set would set you back only about £150-£200 which is still alot of money but cheaper than alot of alternatives.

8. Margo Baggins

I'm not entirely with you there. I think if I was going to go and buy a decent gaming keyboard, mouse and headset - I'd get quite a lot of change out of 500 quid.

9. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I want one of these £500 notes

10. Margo Baggins

you've never had a £500 note? You haven't lived!

11. Stuen4y

Stuen4y What's a Dremel?

It has to be noted that it is not with Cherry MX switches but with Keilh RGB switches. They are chinese, have quite bad QC and on my opinion are not on par with the Cherries. It is quite sad not a single word is said in the review about that. Corsair still do have exclusive rights on the Cherry RGB MX switches and there are other RGB options as well - Razer with their Chroma series and non Cherry switches.

12. Margo Baggins

They are not Cherry RGB switches - They are cherry switches. "our sample came with Cherry MX Blue switches".

13. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Hi chaps. Sorry about this oversight - they are indeed Kailh blue switches and not Cherry - some of Tesoro's keyboards do sport Cherry switches but it appears this one doesn't but in tactile terms, they're actually very good - you'd have to have a Cherry-based keyboard side by side to notice any difference although we obviously can't comment on longevity or QC other than to say our sample was fine. I've updated the review to reflect this. They're also not full RGB as I mentioned in the review, although there's still a huge range of colours - don't want to step on Corsair's toes!

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I know the tag is "Gaming" peripherals, but some things can be too Gamer, if you get my meaning.

Me no likey.

15. Margo Baggins

wowsers £100 quid nearly for fake switches :(

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

They can't even afford real Cherry switches and they make the keyboard look like designed by a 5 year old on acid?

I'll pass.

17. Xir

Xir Modder

You could buy something simple without a mic, like the Sennheiser HD201, and a seperate mic.

The HD201 is supermarket grade cheap, yet sounds decently.

The emphasis in this case is "Gaymer" :D

18. Stuen4y

Stuen4y What's a Dremel?

They are "Cherry like", but are not made by Cherry in Germany. If you look at pictures of the keyboard with keycaps removed you can see that where it says clearly Cherry on the casing of the genuine switches, the Kailh ones are smooth plastic with nothing on top. The RGB solution of the Kailh is a lot inferior to the one used in the Cherry MX RGB ones. Here they use a single (big) through-hole LED while the Cherry one is with SMD LED and clear switch cover for less problems with ESD and dying LEDs plus more uniform distributed light.

I just think this review is misleading and there has to be written with big letters - this is not a Cherry MX keyboard, albeit a mechanical one. It really looks like a promotional overview of the newly available Tesoro stuff and kind of ruined Bit-tech's reputation in my eyes.

Unless they (Tesoro) started using Cherry genuine switches recently for the European samples and you can provide a picture showing this, what I am saying is absolutely correct and there is no other way of saying this.
    P.S. I have been reading bit-tech every day (or thereabout) for the past 4-5 years and this is probably the first time I have been so frustrated to leave a negative comment under a review. I understand the target group of the sister site of hexus is gaming people that want to know some stuff about technology but are not that interested in in-depth analysis. Still, I think this is a bit too much.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2014
  19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Agree with you there mate, I get the impression from these that they've been designed by a team who have worked on the 'idea' of what gaming is and what gamers are rather than being designed by people who game.

On the plus side, if they can improve their design and make half decent kit it could be attractive in the fact that it will cost you alot less if you have a ton of Tesco vouchers to use.

20. capmoq

capmoq What's a Dremel?

Tesoro redefined the world "ugly" for me.

Tags: Add Tags