1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Delete Accounts in win8

Discussion in 'Software' started by nichos, 5 Jan 2015.

1. nichos

nichos Minimodder

Hi,

An "ADMINISTRATOR Local account" appeared out of nowhere, is it possible to delete it and is the guest one necessary? ...thnx .....nick

[​IMG]

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

open computer manager (press win key and search computer manager and open it), expand users and groups tree on the left, click into users - there is an account called administrator listed there, if you right click it and chose properties you can disable the account.

3. nichos

nichos Minimodder

Thanx,

found it but there is only one administrator in there, my account is administrator too how do I know I'll be deleting my account?.

I tried to delete the Guest acc. but does not allow it? .......nick

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You have enabled Windows True Administrator account. This was put in place back in Vista with UAC system, as specific emergency situations, and for OEMs to setup system images.

If you ran untrusted software (malware), then you system is compromised, and needs to be re-installed as system files where probably modified. Remember, an anti-virus/malware only REMOVES the virus/malware, it doesn't fix system files, or security holes done.

To disable the admin account, open the command prompt as true Admin:
    type: net user administrator /active:no
    Hit Enter and restart the system.

Personally, the simple fact that this account was enabled and you logged in, I would re-install Windows.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2015
  5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Your account isn't administrator - your account is "Nick Whatever" and it is an administrator account. The account called Administrator is also an administrator account but it's called Administrator :)

GB has explained above what it's there for.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Also, (as far I know) you can't delete the guest account per se, but you can turn it on and off.

If you click on the guest account in "manage accounts" that is where you turn it on or off.

If it is off then it may still show in "manage accounts" (as that is where you turn it on or off) but won't show up on the login or be accessible.

GoodBytes likes this.
  7. GoodBytes

Ah yes, I forgot about the Guest account. Yes. You can't remove the Guest account.

8. nichos

nichos Minimodder

Thanx all, tried all & will see tonight on restart.

GB, this showed up suddenly yesterday, I wonder how could I have enabled Windows True Administrator account. I installed win8 2+ years ago, virus maybe?. Perish the thought reinstalling win8. Otherwise all work OK so far. ........nick

9. GoodBytes

Did you install any tweak tool? Or anything that modifies the system?
    It's probably the reason. The art of making horrible software is not lost, sadly. Reading Microsoft documentation seams to be difficult task for some.

10. nichos

nichos Minimodder

OK thanx again back to normal, I used your "net user administrator /active:no" in admin. command prompt & now I have only my account & Guest which shows "OFF". .....nick

11. GoodBytes

Good. That is, right now, the normal setup. What you are supposed to have.