1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage 500GB SSD, too many choices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by modd1uk, 6 Apr 2015.

1. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Going to ditch the 1TB HDD storage drive out of my rig, my server has enough storage for me to replace my main rigs storage drive with an SSD.

What's the favourite drive atm ?

2. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB.
    can be had for about £155

3. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 What's a Dremel?

Agreed. Although the 840 has some problems the 850 seems fine so far.

4. ak_2020

ak_2020 Minimodder

+1 on the Samsung 850 Evo.

5. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Even though I don't own one, another vote for the 850 Evo :)

6. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Unless you've very specific usage requirements &/or happen on a bargain then the 850 Evos are very decent drives... ...& the extra cost vs something like the Crucial MX100 is so small atm as to make the Samsung a much better buy for an average usage d.t. the better performance.

That said, if you've got an extremely heavy workload there's better drives, like the 850 Pro...

...or, as a personal example example, d.t. needing to run one of the SSDs in non-trim on a recent build, then i ended up getting a 512GB Plextor M5Pro along with a 500 850 Evo - not because the M5Pro was the best drive out there, but there were budgetary limits (& i found a bargain, as new & from a reputable retailer then it was less than the Evo was) & they're *much* more resilient than the Samsungs in non-trim.

7. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 What's a Dremel?

Really doubt you will notice anything between any modern drive as they have saturated the interface. Sometimes the pro can be not much more cost wise so maybe worth looking out for one of those also.

8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

the 850 versions price difference with EVO/PRO is quiet big atm.
    The 850 EVO is a stellar driver with nothing but there own PRO drive been in there performance category within SATA3
    (Admittedly when you are at the speeds most top end SSD's are at you wont see a real difference apart from in benchmarks tho)

Id just like to say as well, if reliability and rock solidness is more important to you than blazing performance Intel is unrivaled, undisputed king in this respect. There drives are server grade and put under extreme vigorous testing before release which most SSD manufacturers wouldn't dare. In speed tho, a Samsung EVO or PRO would win in all tests

9. silk186

silk186 Derp

I'm running an 830 which is pretty old but not even worth updating to anything sata3.
    If you are going sata3 get what ever is cheapest that has a good name Intel, Samsung, Crucial, plextor...

10. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Ummm... An 830 is a 6Gb/s (aka sata3) ssd...

if, instead, you're talking about the OP getting a 3Gb/s one then there certainly is a noticeable difference between the best of them & a decent 6Gb/s one - &, separately, i could certainly tell the difference between 2x 120GB V Turbos in R0 -> 4x 50/60GB V2s in R0 -> 2x 256GB 830s in R0 -> & 2x 256GB 840s in R0... ...but, the difference became less & less each time outside of some very specific tasks.

Well, naturally none of my tasks are to b/m the drives for kicks & giggles... ...but instead, even with an old o/c'd 3770K (or previously a o/c'd 2600K), there's things i do that take bunches of time where the disk bandwidth is the limiting factor - whereas others it'd be the cpu or memory or gfx card or whatever...

...so it's incorrect to suggest that they're all much of a muchness as it's all about usage.

That said, as with most tech, you should aim to buy on the basis of budget, features & need...

So, whilst the other 4 Samsungs are still in use in another machine, the needs for the recent build i mentioned were about decent enough performance for a more limited set of tasks, needing two 500/512GB drives (one where trim would be enabled & one not) & cost...

...but with the 850 Evo being faster, using more robust nand & with a longer warranty than the MX100, it was a pretty obvious choice to spend an extra couple of quid on the noticeably better featured drive for the one that'd have trim enabled... 'bang for the buck' & all.