1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Footballers: Fit athlete's or big girls blouses?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 14 Apr 2015.

1. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

Okay just to add my 50 pence, as an avid footballer (I play 4 times a week a mix of training 6 a side etc), I am by no means at all near a professional mind you, and I certainly dont get paid for it.

The issue is not the fitness in the aerobic sense the issue is the impact and the twisting turning. Having had issues myself with my knees (tore my ACL 5 years back) I can tell you each game there seems to be a niggle or some little strain. Conversely I run and swim 2/3 times a week and I can do that without any niggles. Its the twists and turns (and kicks while doing so) that strain the muscles and bodies of these athletes.

Comparing sport to sport especially vs motorbikes seems a little churlish. They are different and require a totally different skillset. If you have ridden a bike you come off sore and knackered, the same way jockeys on horse riding come of drenched with sweat even though"the horse is putting in all the effort". Why compare them when in essence they are different.

So to answer the original point they are athletes and hence are in shape. They are also girl blouses and spend far to much time feigning injury

Yes, and the fact that they get paid so much for what is arguably a hobby.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I kinda figured I'd encounter someone one day that actually had done something that entitled them to shouting! :p

Well, now, getting paid for a hobby is hardly a bad thing. Rule it out for sports and you might as well rule it out for critics/journalists/reviewers/whatever the term is now.

3. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

Thats not what I was trying to say Liratheal. I have no problem with footballers or anyone doing what is their hobby (we should all enjoy work after all), but the arguments about them tend to be because they get made so much for doing it. It is jealousy to a certain extent.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

No one here is likely to defend footballers just for the sake of it, which you seem to be implying?

The premiership is the absolutely pinnacle of football. You are playing against world class players week in week out. When Rogers speaks about fitness, he doesn’t mean ‘they are unfit’ in the way that you or I might be. If you are even 5% off the top of your game you are going to get absolutely found out. A 5% dip is enough to let a player slip past you and go on to score in the last 10 minutes of the game.

What is it that you know that we don’t about professional fitness that makes you qualified to call them out? Were you in the 'Marines' (Dads Army) or something?

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Yet again I see you are resorting to rudeness and insults Parge, they do say power corrupts though.

6. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Eh that's just to do with how much money there is in football as a sport. Clubs make a lot of money, so they pay their players a lot, which keeps them with the club also. A footballer is no different to anybody else, they want to earn as much as they can. If one club offers you 100 grand a week to play for them, why wouldn't you? As such, the clubs offer competing figures for a given footballer, it's basic supply and demand.

As long as they pay their taxes like everybody else, I couldn't care what they earn. That being said, it's important that the clubs understand what they can stably afford too. The handy thing about sports is that it's not entirely pay to win thanks to how quickly the players change. Many clubs will sign on ludicrously expensive players not because they're the best, but because they generate a tonne of cash through merchandise sales etc. Savvy clubs can pick up new talent and use that to bolster their success and image. As with everything, money helps but isn't 100% essential.

7. Parge

I have three questions for you:

1. You haven't countered any of my points with a reasoned, and researched retort? Would you be able to do this so we can continue the debate.

2. Which exact part of the above are you insulted by? (Really though, its not my fault, I’m drunk out of my mind on power)

3. 'Power corrupts’ refers to someone who gains power and then takes part in corruption (having or showing a willingness to act dishonestly in return for money or personal gain). Could you detail which exact part of this debate have I corrupted, or exactly why I am corrupt?

Ta.

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Seriously?

Anyone that's amongst what's generally recognised to be the best in the world at what they do is likely to be well paid for doing it, even more so if that thing is in the public eye and doing well at it grants them an element of celebrity status.

Secondly, what's a hobby? Here's another list of people that get paid for doing "what is arguably a hobby":

- Gardener
    - Bartender
    - Darts Player
    - Carpenter
    - Stock trader
    - Real Estate developer
    - Lecturer
    - Taxi Driver
    - Chef
    - Accountant
    - Photographer
    - Writer
    - Mechanic
    - Trainer
    - Pilot

Need I go on?

Floyd Mayweather has fought once in the last 12 months and earned significantly more than any footballer on the planet, and that's arguably a hobby.

Just because you think it's fun for a kick about with your mates doesn't make being a professional sports player any less of a job. What do you do for a living?

Whilst I have a general disinterest in football as a sport and disdain for many of the professionals playing it, I can at least comprehend why some of them get paid so much for doing it, and that maybe the rest of the week when they're not playing they're not sitting on their back sides signing their cheques.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2015
  9. Pieface

Pieface Modder

This is the most retarded thread on the history of Bit-Tech and I'm surprised the mods have left it open this long. It's basically "I don't like football, so the footballers are weak and unfit because I obviously know so much and pay attention to football even though I don't like it".

If you think footballers are unfit, just read this about Ronaldo http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/fittest-man-alive

And then look at these leg muscles.

[​IMG]

So weak, omg, what a *****.

10. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

@Mistar_Tad: I did bold the part I was talking about, its not that they get paid for it its the amount.

I am not sure why you are being so aggressive towards me? What I do is irrelevant but I am a Process safety / Verification Engineer.

definition of a Hobby is: an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.

Obviously that is a lot of different things to different people but would everything you placed down be put in there? Unlikely although some things obviously do.

Also not sure where I said ANYTHING about having a problem with them being paid so much, I just said that I think people "pick on" them because they get paid so much for a job people would love to be doing themselves. I did not question the amount they get paid NOR did I say I didnt think they deserve it.

Also you quoted my original post again rather than what I corrected it to say, did you read it? I am not sure if I am just explaining myself badly or what...

ps. Sorry for the space issues in this post typing on a work laptop with issues.

11. Mister_Tad

I certainly don't intend on coming off as aggressive and re-reading my post I don't think I was, so please don't infer. This is a thread of discussion and I'm discussing, me disagreeing with you or trying to point out why I think your point is a bit silly is part of that discussion.

"Pleasure" is the part of the hobby that's subjective, and everything in my list is certainly done for pleasure by some individuals. I have literally no idea what a process safety/verification engineer does in anger. It's relevant because I was hoping you would come back and say that you're a chef or something like that and make it easy - boom, hobby!

How do you know that some people don't find pleasure in their spare time... umm... verifying the safety of processes?

You're quite right that it's just not British to condone fantastic wealth though, clearly the primary reason they get picked on. I'm not British though, so I couldn't give a flying fruit what they get paid. I still think that most of them are tools though.

12. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

surely by definition once they start doing it as their daily way to make money and make a living from their 'hobby' it stops becoming a hobby and becomes a job. as it is no longer done in their leisure time but their leisure time becomes the time they are not playing football

13. Parge

Well quite, just look at Boiled_Elephants signature.

14. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Was about to post the same thing but couldn't remember who's sig it was! Thanks.

My 2 pence.... Fit? yes... big girls blouses? yes (but only to gain an un-sporting advantage such as a free kick/penalty or to have their opponent punished with a yellow/red card).

They are paid an absolutely horrific amount of money, like most modern sportsman.

15. Mister_Tad

It's on the brink, don't worry.

16. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Pro-tip: Listening to a certain tune in the background while reading this thread greatly increases the entertainment factor.

17. asura

asura jack of all trades

Almost afraid to click...

Ahhh, I wasn't Rick rolled again! It's safe everybody!

18. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Those aren't leg muscles. These are leg muscles:

[​IMG]

Also, mods aren't obliged to close threads just because people disagree. Otherwise how would I wind up the more sensitive members of our beloved forum?

19. Newton Sporkfondle

Newton Sporkfondle Spork, the all-purpose eating tool!

That's pretty much how the temporary manager at Yeovil Nil, sorry, Town, described his team last week, also saying many would never play for the team again.

20. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

MMA fighters are the fittest.

I'm not into watching a bunch of pansies running around in shorts kicking a ball.

I prefer to watch two sweaty half naked men rolling around on the octogan floor. :hehe: