1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete TOXIC CHROME (modded Corsair 250D)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ciobanulx, 8 Apr 2015.

1. ciobanulx

ciobanulx Modder / Watercooler

Thanks a lot mate :D

2. ciobanulx

[​IMG]

Things are getting a little bit tight in the case!

I figured out the loop for the build, I might need some more fittings to make it work and keep it nice and clean. Need to get the cables in first and see, they're currently on the way from Icemodz :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really like the way this build is taking shape, let me know what you guys think.

Cheers,

Alex

3. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

I just got my G3258 and a small package of fittings in the mail. I can't wait to start planning out everything, and watching the progress with your build most certainly doesn't help :D

4. ciobanulx

That's awesome man :D

Let me know when you start the build log, keen to see :D

5. ciobanulx

[​IMG]

Hey guys,

Here's the package that came from Bill over at MNPCTECH. Thanks a lot for the support, I really appreciate it and I hope you guys like the build once it's finished. I'm sure the modding supplies will come in handy for a lot of future builds to come.

For a lot more awesome stuff check out MNPCTECH on Facebook , YouTube and their mod store mnpctech.com

And while you're on Facebook check out my page too, Simple Modz.

[​IMG]

3M Red Scotchbrite Scuff Pads

[​IMG]

Mnpctech PC Case Mod Ruler & Reference Tool

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was an extra item included, I will surely put it to good use, cheers Bill!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PC Case Panel Modding Nibbler Tool

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reinforced Dremel cutting wheels

[​IMG]

Vandal PC Push Button Switch Blue anodized

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nickel Plated Vandal PC Push Button Switch

[​IMG]

And finally, the awesome Mod Zoo case badge. I have a special spot for this on the back of the case!

[​IMG]

The quality of everything received is just excellent and I can truly see the effort put into all these items, thanks a lot for the support guys!

Cheers,

Alex

6. ciobanulx

[​IMG]

Okay guys, here it is! The case is nearly done, just need to get the acrylic windows on get the front panel Corsair piece on after cutting.

Maybe some of you have been waiting to see this since I announce the chrome painting. I hope you guys won't be disappointed as it this is not chrome but still looks very very good and I really like it. Like I explained, actual chrome paint or chrome plating would have been too expensive for my budged.

The panels are spot on and any imperfections you may see are all reflections from the surroundings. Though to bring the case outside to really showcase the paint job.

The front panel and also the rear case feet have been colour matched to the blue powder coat!

[​IMG]

You can also see I made an acrylic piece and mounted it on the inside to cover the 5.25" bay. Drilled a small hole in the middle for the power button cable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dust filter

[​IMG]

And the front panel cover, might need some cleaning up around the edges but really happy with the glossy look

[​IMG]

Here is a good look at the side panel paint job

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will end up using the Blue vandal switch, fits better than the nickel plated one. Lucky Bill sent me this one too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is the front panel cover, the Corsair shape will be cut out and then painted same as the side panels. This will be stuck over the original front panel cover and still be able to use the clip on feature and access the dust filter behind it.

[​IMG]

Let me know what you guys think! Shady here seems to approve!

[​IMG]

Thanks for checking it out!

Cheers,

Alex

7. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

figured you would dig that anodized blue vandal! looking forward to final pics!

awesome dog, too! :thumb:

8. ciobanulx

Yea lucky for the blue one, I like the nickel one too but because the paint is not really chrome it doesn't suit it. The blue one works really well though.

Hahaha thanks :D

9. ciobanulx

[​IMG]

Hey guys,

Small update on the build and a very special announcement!

Firstly the announcement :D

I'm very proud to say that the TOXIC CHROME build has been nominated in the Bit-Tech Mod of the Month for May 2015. You can find the voting link here if you want to show some love for my build!

Honored to be nominated again, thank you! :clap:

And now on to the build! I have the windows on, 3mm thick clear acrylic. Hope you guys like!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Think the windows look very good on the outside, something different! What do you guys think?

Cheers,

Alex

10. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

I think it looks great :thumb: Also you have my vote for MotM. 3rd time HAS TO BE your lucky time :D

11. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

The windows look very good
    I like how you didn't go for identical placements around the case but rather chose spots to show off
    But i bet it's bound to set off someones ocd...

3. time is the charm for MOTM :thumb:

12. ciobanulx

Thanks a lot :D Yea hopefully!

Thanks a lot :D. The reason for the other small bottom window is for the res at the bottom. The window there couldn't have been in the same spot as the other side due to the 240 rad mounting :). Hopefully that won't bring out the ocd in people hahaha

Thanks yea, hopefully 3rd times the charm :D

13. ciobanulx

[​IMG]

Hey guys,

Here's the work I did on the front panel mod.

The piece is 1.2mm aluminum and what I used for the cutting is a Dremel Moto-Saw as you can see from the pictures. It's like a mini portable scroll saw, very handy and really good for the price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I drilled small holes in the panel first so that I can begin the cutting with the scroll saw.

[​IMG]

Bit of a learning curve with this but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy. And it cut through this aluminum panel with no effort at all.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the vinyl is my guide.

[​IMG]

Here all the cutting was done and it was time for the filing to make it nice, smooth and even

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cut the corners same shape as the windows, gave it a scuff everywhere and it was done.

[​IMG]

The whole thing took me about 3 hours to do. Now to get it sprayed!

[​IMG]

I think it came out looking awesome and was surprised how easy it was to cut it once I got the hang of the scroll saw.

The Dremel Moto-Saw will definitely come in handy from now on, I wonder how it will do on some steel or thicker panels.

Let me know what you guys think?

Cheers,

Alex

14. ciobanulx

[​IMG]

Hey guys!

After a lot of exiting news from E3 as well as AMD and watching a bunch of press conferences over the past few days, it's time to get back to work on the build!

Those of you who know me and also my Vault Boy case mod can absolutely guarantee that I jumped on the Fallout 4 Pip-Boy Edition straight after the Bethesda press conference! There are also a lot of ideas spinning around in my head about another Fallout case mod, a different one this time with a more post-apocalyptic look! If and when I decide to do that you will all surely find out :D

Back to the build!

Here is all the vinyl work I did for some of the components with some chrome vinyl!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the SSD has been painted black. Also the fans cables have been shortened, crimped and re-sleeved, only some that needed it. I chose the toxic symbol for them, think it suits the build and also just a circle on the back to cover the fan housing.

Let me know what you guys think.

And guys the Mod of the Month voting is still going until the 28th of June and the race is really close! Have a look and cast a vote if you haven't done so already.

Cheers,

Alex

15. _TechPuppet_

_TechPuppet_ What's a Dremel?

Looking super sleek, love it!

16. ciobanulx

Thanks a lot mate :D

17. ciobanulx

[​IMG]

Hey guys,

Today I shortened and sleeved the DDC pump and added one missing piece to the pump and res combo in order to be able to properly bring the loop back to the top of the res.

It's sort of like a Bitspower aquapipe but out of a piece of acrylic that EK offer for these reservoir tops.

Originally I wanted to use the Bitspower aquapipe as I have quite a few laying around however EK chose to have larger than G1/4" threads on the inside of these tops for some reason so the aquapipe didn't work. Luckily I found the acrylic tube that EK offer locally.

Once I received it, just had to shorten it to fit this res.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the threads on the inside of the res top.

[​IMG]

Easily done :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for checking it out and stay tuned for more to come over the weekend!

Cheers,

Alex

18. ciobanulx

[​IMG]

Here's the new EK stuff I received. Nickel plated mounting bracket and a new clear Supremacy EVO top, part of the upgrade kit. Also new RAM modules to replace the ones that were powder coated before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made some decal stickers for the RAM modules to go with the toxic theme :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty nice looking little combo!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting to get components back in the case. Still waiting on fittings, tubing and cables to arrive.

Cheers,

Alex

19. Bygone

Bygone Minimodder

What would the difference for the control of the pump be that you gather it into the pwm controller fan header connector instead of having the 4 pin molex for power and the pwm for the speed control of pump. Any pro and cons for this or is it only the conveniality of having one connector instead of two?

20. ciobanulx

I do it pretty much for the convenience of having only one small connector, cleans up the cables, especially in such a small case. I always do it like this with DDC pumps :)