Graphics Graphics Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Promethus, 15 Nov 2015.

1. Promethus

Promethus What's a Dremel?

I am currently looking to upgrade my graphics cards. The current system configuration is:
    Intel i7 980X
    Asus Rampage Extreme III
    24GB Samsung RAM
    Corsair HX1000 PSU
    2x EVGA 670 Cheesecake

I am going to be moving the two 670s to a secondary PC, and so I am looking for an upgrade to my primary desktop. I was thinking a pair of EVGA 970 FTWs. It is used for gaming, fps/simulation/strategy, and some video encoding. I will not even consider AMD cards (had one before, never again).

Should I consider holding off until the next generation of Nvidia cards come out?

Is the age of the motherboard going to hold back any GPU upgrade?

Is there anything else I should consider, before purchasing?

Thanks

2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I'd consider a 980ti instead of 2 x 970's. Similar performance from the reviews I've seen, and probably not much difference in price. Also avoids the whole 3.5GB VRAM thing and any scaling issues with SLI.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

What resolution do you game at?

4. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

5. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

I would have to agree with spolsh as well seeing as you would get 6GB of effective ram to work with instead of 3.5GB + 500MB of slower clocked ram shared between the two 970s, in addition going with a 980Ti will give you the future option to go SLi another!..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

As SLI user I would agree with the others here get yourself a single more powerful GPU and later get another as needed.

I've had SLI for almost as long as I can remember and never had a problem but the best way is to start with the better card and build on that

7. Promethus

Promethus What's a Dremel?

Apologies for the slowness of the reply.

Current resolution is 2560x1440, but I am looking to get an Oculus Rift once they reach retail.

8. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

After being dissuaded from getting 2 x 380Xs and investing in a single Fury X (on this very site, I might add!), I can comfortably say that the new top end single card solutions will mash pretty much anything @1440p.

Whether your Green, Red, or doesn't matter, the Fury X and 980Ti are pretty much optimal (for me) at 1440p.

9. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

If you're Team Green, get yourself a 980Ti. I'd take that as a better option over 2x970, largely for the reasons set out above! :thumb:

Tags: