1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

See that Scoob at 2:04 - 2:10? I had a well set-up WRX in the early 2000's and that reminded me of the commute to work (120 miles each way, A-roads, monday-friday). :D

2. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

What happened was:

SimHQ announced IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad had been updated with Vive support but that it was experimental. This was true. I and many others spent the day trying to get the VR working and it was only after a developer told me how on steam that I was able to finally get it working. I say working but really it's too experimental to be viable at this time. It requires you take the Vive out of direct mode... when you do this the vive runs like Oculus DK2 before direct mode and u have to close one eye to access the menus. Once in flight the 3d looks great but the frame-rate and judder were too severe.

The developer posted on their forum that the Vive support was leaked accidentally by someone on the team while other team members were on holiday. It wasn't deliberate but it happened and the result was people getting angry because the VR wasn't really usable.

But the good news is that IL-2 VR is officially being developed. The DX9 thing isn't really an issue... Did you know that NoLimits2 runs on DX9?

I purchased IL-2 when it was on sale on steam last week because of the announced VR support. I was angry when I found it wasn't at a usable level but since the developer subsequently explained the situation I decided to keep my purchase and wait for them to get it running properly.

3. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Shipped a GeForce® GTX 1080 GameRock Premium Edition

Reason for this
    - Checked the best versions of the 1080 at scan.Took a look at some MSI GeForce GTX 1080 SEAHAWK benchmarks (one of the most expensive with a full fledged external water cooling all in one, see here http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-sea-hawk-x-review,1.html

Every single benchmark chart in the review has the Palit 1080 Gamerock premium in top position. even the OC chart only has the Seahawk maybe 1 or 2 frames faster?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Stanley Tweedle

5. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

just installed the card, its thicker in comparison to the 980ti, I prefer the appericance card wise of the 980ti it looks like a much more modern design but obviously the chip inside is leaps and bounds faster.

just saw an update in steam, thought it would be dirty rally in time for tomorrows launch but nope its...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

will check it out first with the xbox controller then full hotas later on.

Edit: Lunar flight in VR is hugely impressive,

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Bought some prescription lenses for my HTC Vive!

https://vr-lens-lab.com/

Find wearing glasses in the headset a real pain so I'm keen to see how well this solution works.

7. Stanley Tweedle

Wow! Looney flight still alive? Last I read from the dev it wasn't making enough money for him to continue. I like this flight sim. Spectacular in VR with hotas and body vibration.

8. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Man I am already in a good mood as I fixed my direct drive not detecting issue (traced back to a USB macro cable).

... Dirt rally.... cv1 update..

Don't care who you are or what you like playing this is pretty flipping sick because NO ONE can drive good in dirt rally its tough son of a bitch to drive even decent pace. the weight of the car is difficult to handle.

I might have to order some kind of huge arse cake to the code masters office anom or some thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

any one know which of the following code master offices made dirt ?

http://www.codemasters.com/contact-us/

CODEMASTERS SOUTHAM

Codemasters Southam Studio Lower Farm, Stoneythorpe, Southam Warwickshire, CV47 2DL

custservice@codemasters.com

+44 (0) 1926 814132

CODEMASTERS BIRMINGHAM

Codemasters Birmingham Studio, Scott House, The Custard Factory, Gibb Street, Digbeth, Birmingham, B9 4AA

+44 (0) 1926 814132

CODEMASTERS CHESHIRE

2 Kings Court, Manor Farm Rd, Runcorn, Cheshire, WA7 1HR

+44 (0) 1926 814132

Edit:

Just left a voice mail.

Code masters have my email (voice mail) if they want £50+ of Chocolate cake they just have to mail me the correct office to send it to.

[​IMG]

Edit; Going to go fire this sht up and see what its like, the rear of the car was not rendered before which kind of sucked a little.

BRB.

Double edit: Some 10.2GB update... jezz

Last edited: 11 Jul 2016
  9. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Have you had a chance to play it with the Rift then?

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

What's an arse cake? Is that a poo? :confused:

11. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

No silly a chocolate cake, the term arse is used to express big.
    It would be really some thing to be able to poo high quality chocolate cake though,.

I tried it, last night, your having to throw the car around on its side axis, so you have to take slide into account.

I can't even get the mini slid around a corner,
    Its like my feet don't even know what to do in rally, I just end up under steering into the hedge lol.

Should be if you got really good in this it would be at least a reasonable heads up for real rally?

Great music, this game is a true classic out alone untouched, code masters deserve some kind of industry praise or award, like studio excellence award or some thing I don't even know the body's that are valid here, like a bafta but for games?

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Well, there's literally BAFTA's games awards, if that helps...

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

14. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Severely disappointed I didn't spot this. :D

15. Stanley Tweedle

Well it took hours to get reVive working with Pcars and it was the developer of reVive who worked out I was doing it wrong.

Pcars feels pretty real with body vibration in VR. I have a GTX 1070 and when I did the Rally benchmark it averaged 46 fps. My 1070 is being held back by my ancient i5 2500k even at 4.8ghz.

Graphic settings were "medium" with a few adjustments.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Interesting, I'll bench that tonight and see what I get - I have a newer CPU but its 'only' at 4.3Ghz - our GPUs are pretty much the same.

17. Stanley Tweedle

I've studied the benchmarks someone did for DCS world... his results show that CPU architecture plays a significant role in FPS with CPU heavy simulations. The HT version of my CPU was pretty much at the bottom of the performance charts for DCS while the latest i7 6700k was near the top. Project Cars benchmark also showed FPS boost for more modern CPUs.

I suspected for a long time that CPU was holding me back. When I had my GTX 970 my FPS was well below target against other gamers with the same GPU for games like Elite Dangerous.

So the question is:

Do I buy an i7 6700k or a 6 core on socket 2011-v3?

I do 3d rendering so any extra cores will be of benefit but even a 6 core won't make a massive difference to CPU based rendering. I will be trying out a GPU based renderer shortly but they generally have this or that limitation (features missing from CPU renderer).

Last edited: 13 Jul 2016
  18. Stanley Tweedle

To whom it may concern:

I have chosen my new PC bits. 6 core on 2011-v3. This means I will be selling my Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3, 32gb Gskill 2400mhz ram (low latency), i5 2500k @ 4.8ghz with offset voltage so the voltage drops low at idle, Swiftech Apogee XT Rev 2 waterblock.

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

20. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

So Brexit has made the vive £70 more expensive. :thumb:

Last edited: 30 Jul 2016