News Pioneer announces first PC Ultra HD Blu-ray drives

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 27 Jan 2017.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Technically yes, format shifting is illegal in the UK as the government didn't follow proper procedure when they legalized it, which left it open to a court case by the music industry who of course jumped at the opportunity and promptly won.

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I guess if you use the process to create a new working CD then delete the digital files you would be okay.

As we all know though, the ease and openness with which mainstream software allows (and suggests) you rip audio CDs into digital files for use on other devices for personal use and the ubiquity of people openly doing this rather suggests a defacto acceptance.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Hmm, I'm hoping that the absurd list of prerequisites won't be there for ripping a UHD disc? I assume as a prerequisite to ripping the disc is breaking the protection, the rest would be moot?

I still buy physical media as streaming services aren't a patch on the quality of it, I'm a lot less interested in having to actually browse/play physical media when it comes to actually watching something though.

4. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Ridiculous requirements are ridiculous. The few units they'll sell will likely be to people trying to break/circumvent the DRM.

5. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

I believe the Xbox One S already has a UHD drive in it, though the PS4 Pro does not

6. Xir

Xir Modder

The same goes for "normal" Full HD Bluray imho.

That said, is there a BD read only drive out there that's NOT friggin expensive?