1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2017 thread - Season Complete

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 27 Nov 2016.

1. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Im probably reading into things as i do , but it just sounds like that they have ideas to screw even more money out of the punters.

I gave up going to Grand Prix's in 2009. It was always cheaper to grab a quick flight and go camp down at Monza at the track and it was still cheaper than a roaming ticket in the UK .Even then the prices were just out of hand. Now i see on Facebook adverts that you can buy your British Grand Prix tickets and pay for them in installments!! To watch that rubbish! Its killing it if you ask me.

I understand that it has to be the pinnacle of technology , but i think F1 is very very broken.

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Liberty own Virgin Cable (I think). Odds on F1 going pay-per-view in the near future?

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Highly likely tho Liberty have recognised Europe as the support basis of the sport. This will hopefully end Formula Tilke.

Hopefully they recognise the free TV market too.
    Most likely case is that it goes PPV online. I'm hoping that they have a free stream or free on TV possibly highlights and that Online they offer bells whistles etc.

Short term I don't hold Much hope for he sport. We will see evolution this year but after that we will see revolution and continuing teething problems. If the sport survives it will be interesting to see what happen in 5 years and 7+ years time.

Worse case scenario is we end up with Valencia style races (0 overtakes) or another Schumacher/Ferrari style domination. Faster "more exciting" cars that look good in slow mo going through a corner is not the answer. Cars that challenge the drivers physically and mentally in a sport that a mistake could happen at any point. Take Barcelona, didn't anyone believe that a mistake would come that would change the outcome of that race? Buttons win in Canada is a massive exception that we rarely see

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Hopefully the new management will get on an sort the money share in F1 its a joke, I think Ferrari still get more than some teams simply for turning up.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Tbh I'm still surprised Sauber haven't gone under.

8. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Had they not finished in 10th place in the constructors championship last year, they probably would!

Felipe Nasr's 9th place finish at Interlagos earned the team £30M (according to reports).

Last edited: 30 Jan 2017
  9. RedFlames

True... and had Manor kept hold of 10th they might have survived.

10. fix-the-spade

But then Sauber would have folded in their place.

It rather hammers home how badly F1's prize money is handled when finishing last effectively invalidates the hundreds of millions of dollars invested in getting one of these teams to the grid.

With all the criteria Bernie expected prospective teams to fulfill you would have thought they would be smart enough to demand some kind of financial guarantees, but apparently not.

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Monisha is already banging the drum to get LM's attention re: prize money distribution.

12. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

here is an interesting one...

what 3 circuits would you replace on the calendar if you could, and what circuits would you replace them with ?

13. RedFlames

Sochi, Baku, Ad Drab.

Replace them with: anything not designed by Tilke.

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

IFTFY :thumb:

15. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Turkey (I know, its a good Tilke though), Magny Cours, Zandvoort, Watkins Glen....

In relation to prize money and distribution, lets imagine for a second, that Ferrari finished plumb last next season, unlikely but just go along for a mo... how much prize money would they get based on their historical significance? and would it have been enough to keep a struggling Manor in?

Last edited: 30 Jan 2017
  16. fix-the-spade

If Ferrari finished dead last they would get $100 million.

That's slightly more than the entirety of Manor's 2015 budget. If the money was given out evenly (as in no prize money, just money) each team would get about $80 million.

As it is Ferrari will have taken around $200million out the season, whilst Manor got $25million-ish at the end of 2015 and nothing at the end of 2016.

17. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Sochi
    Hungary
    Abu Dhabi

Replaced with

Magny Cours
    Laguna Seca
    Kyalami

18. fix-the-spade

Sochi
    Abu Dhabi
    Baku

Replaced with.

Watkins Glen
    Zandvoort
    Imola

Or for the sake of pie in the sky. All 8.5 miles of the Circuit de la Sarthe (without chicanes) and the old Hockenheimring. Current F1 drivers don't spend nearly enough time wetting themselves in terror.

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Remove:

Sochi
    Abu Dhabi
    Baku

Add:

Motegi
    Sebring
    Imola

20. RedFlames

I'd like to see an F1 car attempt the IoM TT circuit too, I think deaths and maiming would happen if they tried though.