1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It's a shame because the graphics engine it used would suit VR very well.

I got Dirt Rally. It runs very well. Amazingly realistic, if a little grainy. Didn't make me feel sick when it got a bit choppy but after an hour of concentrating etc I was sweating ollies lol. So to that ends it was just like driving my real car :D

Nothing better than getting to the end of the stage and then looking around the interior. That is cool. As cool as Dirt 3 was in 3D.

It's such a shame Mario 64 can't be ported. Again, the graphics it has would suit VR very well and would be incredible.

2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Serious SAM is overload, you can fire an air craft mini gun and have a rocket launcher on the other arm and its still just enough to survive, your eyes are just screaming with overload of the attacks and aaaaarrrh sounds from bombers.

4th sensor needed to be disconnected, 4 sensors do not work! it is less effective than 3 sensors which is a great tracking experience, 4 is not really necessary it seems.

I am hearing a lot of new people coming into dead and buried and wetting themselves from enjoyment, one guy it was his first ever game and he owned outside in sniper valley, I admitted he owned the game and he started saying it back so i was wondering why he was repeating it, he was telling a room of people how he owned it and he was really emotional.

"THAT WAS FUN".

Its got to be said, VR with all the trimmings is pretty effective, the next step up at the moment is not so much a bigger or better headset, its to take the touch controllers which give a "little" kick when firing, and put some thing in your hands that REALLY knocks the sht out of you when you fire, so the striker VR for me if it was available would be an INSTANT purchase.

Having some thing like a striker VR but in the form of a VR hand gun that has solid kickback, and felt like a real hand gun (what ever that feels like in weight) would really be a must have purchase.

If I could log in now to a vendors site and buy a hand gun for FPS in the bracket £100 to £200, £200 to £300, and then a real impression £499 version (two hand guns) I would have to think long and hard about what I was doing there.

VR accessory market is just starting.

:dremel:

edit: yeah this kind of stuff:
    http://www.roadtovr.com/hands-on-ta...ve-tracker-touch-and-custom-steamvr-tracking/

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

So, following in V-T's footsteps, my DK2 arrived today. So. Much. Fun. Elite Dangerous was completely mind-blowing; I didn't play it for long since I've totally forgotten the controls, and I don't want to get pinched/fined in a starbase!

However... I see a lot of chromatic aberration, and it seems very... grainy. I'm guessing this is normal for the DK2? You soon see through it, but it is quite distracting at first.

4. Vault-Tec

Do you wear glasses? try the other lenses Byron. They made a dramatic difference to me. I would try them any way.

Certain things are grainy yes. However I've noticed that a well made app/game makes it far less apparent. I guess this is what you get for £140 or so so I'm not really complaining. Have you tried that Lucky's Tale game yet? if you want clarity give that a go, it's bob on. Incredible use of VR too IMO. Just wish there were more games like that.

Also, don't forget the headset can be adjusted in and out too. The main lump clicks away from the part you put on your eyes, either bringing the screen in or out. I found going out removed some of the grain also.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, Chromatic aberration is a thang sadly. Grainyness is better with CV1 but not perfect. Try changing font colours in game to green - makes things easier to read. If you've got the GPU power, then also turn up super sampling to 1.5x or more.

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It seems to help if I adjust the position of the HMD; it's difficult to know whether my eyes are properly in line with the centre of the lenses when putting it on. I guess that's something I'll get used to doing.

Yeah, I'm using the shorter "B" lenses - the other ones felt like they were gonna poke my eyes out - and I've moved the screen back a little.

Lucky's Tale is fantastic. Makes me a little queasy when the camera zooms about, but it's a brilliant example of how to do a VR game right.

Willdo :thumb:.

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Using the DK2 with Oculus Home is going to have some optical weirdness: because there is no longer a setting for IPD and a setting for the lens distance (the rotating detents on the side) it will default to the fixed ILD of 63.5mm and fixed assumption of Type A (no vision correction) lenses at the minimum distance. Any variation on this (e.g. you change the lenses or their spacing, or if you have a different IPD) and you will not be seeing an optically corrected image.

8. Vault-Tec

It did feel a little strange at first (Lucky's Tale) but thankfully I got used to it pretty quick. It's like your brain has a switch between VR and seeing normally. It was like it with 3D at first for me. I could not even see it and it took a few days before I even realised what I was supposed to be seeing lol. Was OK after that :D

The only thing that's made me feel remotely sick so far was this mad mine cart roller coaster. I don't go on roller coasters because they scare me, and I found out why very quickly haha. Was cool though !

9. Vault-Tec

My stand came yesterday.

[​IMG]

Well worth the £11 it cost me. What's also useful is that the headset fits in it both ways. So when I am playing/changing games etc I can just put it on the other way around whilst I'm buggering around :)

Can't use the Beats Studios with the headset. They are far too tight fitting. So I switched to my B&Os which are lovely and comfy instead :)

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

EDIT: That's a neat little stand, might have to look into something like that

Minecraft. Minecraft in VR makes me want to hurl. I'm OK with everything else so far, but Minecraft Win10 Edition in VR is not OK.

Lucky's Tale is a great little platformer, really enjoying it so far. Although parts of it are frustratingly difficult!

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Be careful not to leave the lenses pointed in any way towards a window. Even a few seconds in sunlight can cause permanent damage to the display panel: a lens that collimates light from the display will therefore focus collimated light onto a point on the display, and the sun is a high-power collimated light source.

12. Vault-Tec

No sunlight reaches my desk :) well, not until summer time any way due to the way we are orientated. The kitchen gets most of the sun in the winter time. Plus I haven't opened the curtains fully for about a month (yay for depression).

Thanks for telling me though man. TBH I mostly use it at night any way once all the good TV is done.

Not tried Minecraft Byron. I've never played it (yes, I'm one of those :D )

I think Angelica's what not (forgot the name now) and Lucky's Tale are the two things you could basically show to any one and get them waving their money to be taken. It's just a shame that it hasn't really seemed to have gone any further. I mean man, a Mario or Zelda game. Even a rejig of Mario Galaxy (which can be played in VR, but acted too weird for me with an odd box over the screen).

Is that new "we are not Rare we just used to work for them" platform game coming to VR?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yooka-Laylee

Not yet it seems, but hopefully some bright spark will soon sort that out :)

That could be phenomenal.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2017
  13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The Playtonic devs expressed quite some enthusiasm for VR a couple of years ago, but nothing has been stated since about Yooka-Laylee coming to VR.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'd read in the manual that the lenses are sensitive to direct sunlight, but I hadn't considered the damage to the panel... Consider me duly warned.

15. Vault-Tec

Hopefully they don't change the engine too much, because the hacked demo seems to run brilliantly in VR. Platform games tend to. If only I could get Mario Galaxy to behave. I read somewhere you can hack the game to remove huds etc (Mario Galaxy like) but I have no idea how to do it.

So yeah, hopefully I can get an answer on that (I've asked a couple of 'tubers).

I've always had a soft spot for Mario games. Mario 64 still remains in my top three of ever games. I didn't like Sunshine, so that was when I stopped buying Nintendo consoles (last one was a purple Gamecube). So yeah, would like to see more platformers in VR as they work so well it in :)

I did play Galaxy for a couple of days though when staying with a mate and it was incredible.

For example. Sadly he doesn't seem to answer questions, and I can't find out online how to do it. But apparently you enable cheats in Dolphin which allows you to remove the crap that's in the way.

I'll do more digging soon. Graphics are excellent for me, sound is garbled but I have a few sound cards to try. It got better when I overclocked the Wii's virtual CPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inNf7192YZE

link should work

Last edited: 12 Mar 2017
  16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Couldn't resist picking up a DK2 after your post!

Just set the system up and I have to say it's a quality bit of kit. Especially impressed with the build quality and ease of use. I already have Oculus installed for use with my Vive via Revive so the software was all ready to go. Asides from the HMD and Camera not liking the USB ports I first selected a quick switch remedied that and it's been plain sailing since.

Lacks the sense of presence with no VR controllers and the tracking isn't perfect, however it is a good gateway drug to VR!

17. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

18. Vault-Tec

There's a new Disney app out (free) which contains some half decent Star Wars VR stuff.

Played another hour or so of Lucky's Tale last night. It gets really hard haha.

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

20. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Just had a very fun co-op game of Raw Data. One of the bots had glitched into the wall and it was hilarious watching each other try different things to kill it. At the end we fist-bumped too, which was awesome.