1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Westminster attack.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Yadda, 22 Mar 2017.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ (rainbowbridge posts)

You were saying? :p

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Who is Inspector Sands?

3. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I know you ninja'd your post but AI and TB are the same person.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

5. Nexxo

Inspector Sands is a code phrase used by public transport authorities in the United Kingdom, including Network Rail and London Underground, to alert staff and other agencies, such as the police, to an emergency or potential emergency such as a fire or bomb scare without alerting the public and creating panic.

Wiki link.

EDIT: ninja'd!

6. RedFlames

Problem is, enough people now know what it means to render it ineffective. Likewise 'London Bridge is down', which iirc is the 'the Queen has died' phrase.

7. Nexxo

What about Dr. Allcome?

8. RedFlames

iirc...

Doctors, All. Come.

Medical Emergency, gtf over here.

9. Nexxo

My favourite is the code for hospital staff under threat/in danger: "Paging Dr. Brown..." :p

10. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

The Policeman has been named as PC Keith Palmer, 48, who was married with kids.

The number dead is now 5 including the attacker, and the number injured is up to 40.

Thankfully it appears that noone from Bit was caught up in it.

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

How bad has it become that I have very little emotional reaction to whats happened. It may be a slight case of post-holiday blues, but I didn't hear about it till quite late and my initial reaction was "Oh good, only a few people died." and the positive I took out of it was culling a couple of people off my Facebook for their less than kosher opinions on aspects of this afternoons events.

We have an active shooter procedure at work and recently had a full scale 'practice' involving armed police and the whole 9 yards. My familiarity and acceptance of these situations as every day occurrences trouble me more than the possibility of being involved in one.

12. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Tobias Ellwood, Tory MP for Bournemouth East, ignored advice given and headed the opposite way. Looks like he was amongst the first to reach Keith Palmer, the Policeman who was attacked.

Tobias is a former RGJ Captain who lost his brother in the 2002 Bali attack.

Here he is attempting to revive PC Palmer. Other MPs, take note.

[​IMG]

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ficer-stabbed-parliament-latest-a7644321.html

13. Nexxo

Politicians are people too. Even Tory ones.

It's very sad for the police officer, and the other people who were killed.. :sigh:

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I heard that Tobias Ellwood had some form of training in that sort of thing when he paid a visit to Mogadishu, one thing that's been puzzling me is i thought all police officers wore anti-stab vest.

15. Nexxo

I thought so too, but there are still several vulnerable areas. An unlucky hit can still be lethal.

16. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Biggest problem with protection against knife attacks is that there is enormous force applied to a single point when stabbing someone. Most knife protection works against slash attacks but the point of a knife (or any other pointy object) will penetrate just about anything if the knife/object has enough force behind it and is sufficiently strong enough to apply that force.

I believe typical knife protection will be made from Kevlar weave and being a weave it will be possible to separate the strands with the right (or wrong depending on your perspective) conditions.

Take a look at some of the documentaries on the Battle of Agincourt to see what the English longbow archers did to the plate armour of the French knights. Their arrows effortlessly punched through their armour at very long range.

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well yes but i would assume one of those unlucky hits would at worst cause massive bleeding that with quick attention could be stemmed, buying time sort of thing.

Should they be called anti-slash vest then? Not being factitious BTW I'm just interested in why the stabbing ended up being fatal and if any lessons can be learned as shouldn't anti-stab vest + quick medical attention = saved life (in the majority of cases).

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

7 Arrested in raids in Birmingham

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Actually the anti-stab vests used are tested very stringently - they are generally a kevlar weave with various other layers, with ratings defined per these standards.

At the most difficult test level the max penetration is 20mm, they also do additional spike penetration testing (which is technically optional), as that's more difficult.

The problem with the vest is it can only cover so much - if they manage to get around the protective areas of the vest, unfortunately it will often have very serious consequences.

20. Nexxo

Depends. I can think of a number of unprotected spots where a stab wound will cause a person to bleed out in 30 seconds. If working in Trauma has taught me one thing it's that the human body is stupidly resilient and vulnerable at the same time.