1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I already have one Novatiuch and love it. I just find 45g on it a bit too easy to press.
    I thought I could do 55g mod, but would need to get some Topre 55g donor.

I like Topre switches, that is all - I cannot find similar switch in MX range.
    Tried everything, love the mx blues, but for more silent work I prefer topre.

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

i have an odd issue with a keyboard I bought on the MP. Similar to this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corlorful-...2766&sr=8-5&keywords=mechanical+keyboard+blue The issue I have that on occasion when I use the shift key to get a uppercase letter it will also type the lower case letter alongside the uppercase. I assume this is a fault of the kb. not a big deal but thought I would post in case there was a fix.

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I pulled a trigger and bought this Filco SA keycaps.
    I like the idea of those being dark brown with cream legends.

Should have them today, will show some pics here how it looks on Novatouch:thumb:

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Ordered one of These switch testers a week or so ago and it arrived today, nice selection of switches, base is a little cheesy feeling but strong enough (may even spray it).

Disappointed that it didn't come with the 4 Kaihl switches, I got an extra 4 cherry's instead (White, grey, green and clear) but I have messaged the seller and will see what comes of it.

It's going to get the LED treatment the last tester got and I was really hoping I could add a controller to it and actually get it working like a numpad but not sure how to go about that.

It also needs some sort of cover for the back as all the switch and led pins will be exposed and open to damage.

5. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

You got a picture of the back? Someone might be able to print you a cover for it.

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Good idea I'll sling one up later

7. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I'm selling my white/grey Topre TKL keyboard, in case someone's interested.

I'm buying Novatouch in ISO-QWERTZ Layout - is this going to work as ISO UK? I won't use original keycaps, will mount UK ones, but as hardware goes - it is ISO so will work with any layout, is that correct?
    I would be able to set it up as UK and it all going to work fine, right?

I wonder if you can change firmware in keyboard, to make it UK permanently?

Last edited: 5 Oct 2016
  8. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

isn't Novatouch a "poor mans Topre" ? i remember reading reviews that it isn't as good as Topre keyboard

or am i confusing it with something else ?

9. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I just printed my first keycap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Actually came out a lot better than I was expecting. The graining looks much worse in the photo's than in real life.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Nice job - does a twin strand printer have the resolution to print legends? Black and clear home-made doubleshots!

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It does, but the better your printer the better your fine resolution will be.

Sadly my printer is out of action again; I think I bought a project, not a tool.

12. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

13. asura

asura jack of all trades

Yea... that made my eyeballs ache...

14. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I’m looking for suggestions for a new keyboard. I've been using Enermax Aurora's on most of my systems for close to 10 years (with a Logitech DiNovo Edge as my media keyboard) so have been used to scissor switches with a low action similar to the old IBM laptops. I can't see anything that comes close to that these days.

Main requirements are:

Full size

Cherry MX Red switches based on limited experience of using them on a Cooler Master QuickFire TK. I want quiet typing as far as is possible with mechanical switches

White backlit keys (don't mind other colours being available as long as white is an option)

Black anodised aluminium construction preferably

Don't mind media keys but not bothered if absent but don’t want a Tenkeyless keyboard

Budget, I was going to say up to £150 but after checking out latest prices accept I may have to go over that. I'd be happy with less than £100 though, I'm not after features for features sake.

Would I be able to fit O rings to Cherry MX switches at a later date if I wanted to further quieten it down?

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Probably the closest one to meeting the requirements mentioned:

Just a little over budget you'll get the Corsair K70 Lux RGB, comes in MX Red, is full size, RGB lights, alu case (or rather alu tray) and has media keys.
    But the font on the keycaps is ugly, so you may have to plan for some extra cost with replacing keycaps.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...herry-mx-rgb-red-ch-9101010-uk-kb-091-cs.html

As for adding o rings, no problem to do so, although going by personal experience with mech boards you'll quickly get used to the sound.

16. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

That looks good but I agree with you about the font. I'm a bit reluctant to spend that much then 'have' to consider buying another set of keycaps on top of that.

17. asura

asura jack of all trades

Generally speaking you can't (easily) get a complete replacement keyset for that or many other corsair boards due to the bottom row shenanigans going on there...

18. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Bumping this as i need some advice from fellow bit-tech users about what to do.

So I took part in a Group buy back at the start of 2015 i believe, for a GH60 PCB and I also ordered a JD40 which i ordered with the small stuff already soldered to the board as i dont want to have to do it myself for the JD40 now. The guy who was selected by Ctrl Alt to do the assembly from what I understand did a bunch but then had some RL issues so mine was one of the few unlucky enough to not be done at that point so I have been chasing since last year.

Now i know Ctrl Alt, more specifically bunny has the unassembled keyboards and all the parts, as i had an email in September stating this. now i chased him back at the start of Dec and he said all parts are on hand and he will assemble the ones he has when he has time... Ok not a problem so last week not heard anything so messaged again to be told he is finishing another couple of Group buys first then he will assemble them once again when he has time.

I am now pretty unimpressed/irate/angry with all this. I understand the original issues were out of his control but i paid for my stuff 2 years ago now roughly and still have no JD40 to show for it, and seemingly they dont care enough to update me on whats going on i have to chase them. They care more about doing new stuff to make money than fixing the issues they currently have. And I dont know what to do. I sent a message today to chase again to get some kind of update and also voicing just how unhappy i am so I will see where that goes. But it seems im done entirely with Ctrl Alt for anything like this which is frustrating as they do some great group buys for caps and they are the place that Bro Caps now do all their sales.

Any ideas guys?

19. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Hit up Margo Baggins, or drop me the details in a PM and I'll call/e-mail him :thumb:

20. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I'm in exactly the same boat - I'm owed both GH60 stuff and a JD40 and my messages just keep going unanswered too - I know that bunnylake has his own RL stuff going on but he says one thing to me and then something else completely happens...

Unfortunately Margo was the person who had the RL issues mentioned above...