1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews Intel Core i7-8700K (Coffee Lake) And Z370 Chipset Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 5 Oct 2017.

1. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Well, yeah... it's still just a revised Skylake chip after all. Basically Skylake E0 now.

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I don't really see why this is "good" for intel - they're late to the party and the 8700K still isn't markedly better than the 1700.

And let's not mention the damning IHS problem that's plagued Intel's recent CPUs, the 8700K being no different:

90C with a custom loop? LOL. 5GHz is an incredible frequency, especially if you can't use it because of temp limitations. The Kit-Guru review has a section on thermal performance, which for some reason is absent from BT's review. In a nutshell, it's an unlocked CPU that you can't overclock because it will get too hot.

Colour me unimpressed.

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

There's no pleasing some people :D

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

haha never noticed the 90c under water ! holy crap, your pump won't last very long lol. Seriously I crapped my pants when my Titan XP hit 86c under water and immediately tweaked it so that it never passes 60.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Lots of cores in a small space with a bit of voltage needs good cooling, no ****, my threadripper is no different, not as high but has a thermal limit of 68 and it sits right on it, Intels thermal limit is much higher.

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Late to the party? Are you dizzy? It took AMD best part of 6 years to even get close to Intel in performance, and as soon as they did, Intel just moved the goalposts again.

Some of the stuff in this thread is madness, y'all think Intel nicked your girlfriend or ran over your dog or something...

7. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I think it's more a case of - the general consensus of opinion is that Intel have only just released products which they were more than capable of producing years ago (be it they've now sh*t a brick owing to AMD's bounce back), some view this as nothing more than Intel having milked the market for all it's worth rather than continue to innovate and improve (as is the case with Nvidia).

8. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Minimodder

Does anyone remember when Intel first announced the Z370 platform and it's Top of the line 10 core processor, just before Ryzen released. Then after the performance of the 8 cores, intel announced it was going to release a 12 core processor as it's top chip. Then after AMD announced Threadripper, Intel went nuts and announced the 18core monster.

The thing is, the Z370 platform was only ever designed for a 10 core CPU, never an 18 core. This and the variable number of PCI lanes is causing a headache for the mother board manufacturers.

I am just waiting for Black Friday and I will getting a TR4 platform..

9. Vault-Tec

If you actually spent some time researching what sort of a company they are then you would realise that in ways they have. In fact, you shouldn't even need to look that hard. Six months ago people paid out the ass for a quad core Kaby and now they are having it rubbed in their faces. Oh, and their existing board is useless too, so they are looking at £500 odd just for two more cores.

When I worked in a repair shop Intel pulled off some quite frankly disgusting stuff. IE - when AMD released their slot Athlon (the first good one) Intel warned us that if we sold it they would no longer sell us any product. At all. They also stopped us from overclocking rigs, again dishing out the threats. They really are not a nice company, period.

I also go back to what I said before - PC owners absolutely refused to accept non upgrade-able parts in the 90s, yet Intel are still doing it now. That is unacceptable to me at least.

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

What is it about PC hardware that makes people so weird?

11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Not at all. Intel have been on the ball with 6C/12T CPUs for years, and only now have they decided to take it from HEDT and bring it to the mainstream desktop market (largely thanks to AMD for doing it first). They could have done this ages ago, but it served them better as a company to make money by recycling quad cores over and over and pissing a lot of people off in the process (you must be dizzy if you haven't noticed this). Furthermore, the 8700K is nothing special... it's just a 7700K with another pair of hyperthreaded cores and reasonable overclocking potential, but sloppy IHS mounting and yet again requiring a motherboard upgrade.

TL;DR version: I'm not saying it's good or bad. It's just underwhelming from where I'm sitting.

12. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I know full well the shady stuff Intel got up to with OEM's and the like, but I also know AMD would have done the exact same thing if they could... Just like any company that, ultimately, exists only to make a profit. It's why I never bother taking sides or developing any kind of brand loyalty. It wasn't that long ago when AMD released an 8 core 5Ghz chip and tried selling it for close to $1k, even though it was crap...

And the argument of Z170/Z270 owners now having "redundant" or "useless" tech is bs - nobody who upgraded 6 months ago is looking to upgrade again now that CL is out. Just look at how many people on these forums that are still on Sandybridge/Haswell machines, THEY are the ones looking at Ryzen/CL options. Of course there are people who feel the need to upgrade every generation (I call them the "Apple fans" of pc hardware), but that's more of a disposable income argument.

13. TheMadDutchDude

VT - how did you get a GPU to get that hot under water? Daaaamn. Even my dual 290Xs never got above 70 under full load for days.

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

That's not the point, as I'm sure you know. Look at socket 1366 - they were releasing CPUs for that platform over a period spanning three years (2008-2011). The constant revamping of chipsets is nonsense and it puts people off buying Intel, not because they want to upgrade every six months but because they want a CPU upgrade at some point down the line rather than a complete system overhaul. I carefully considered this which is why I bought X99, and thankfully I have a plethora of CPU upgrade options between Core i7 and Xeon. But why would I want to upgrade? I essentially already have an 8700K with 2014 technology, so... yeah, did I say underwhelming?

15. Vault-Tec

Titan XP on a single 120 rad. Then give it 100% load and + 235 on the core and 100% on the power/thermals :D

Hottest GPU I have ever owned, including a 480 Lightning.

Yeah, but they haven't, have they? Socket AM2 lastest for years and years. So did AM3 and I would not be surprised at all if AM4 lasted for equally as long.

16. TheMadDutchDude

AM4 will last a long time. That's AMD and their history speaking for us. I can't wait for the new releases with higher IPC and maybe a few more cores, but a higher OC potential would be amazing if the other two are still a generation away.

17. Vault-Tec

I don't know. Maybe because it is a personal computer and thus we take it so personally?

impar likes this.
  18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I see what you did there.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

AMDs platforms lasted a long time but their upgrades were equally small incremental updates to Intel so I wouldn't pin your hopes and dreams on to that donkey.

20. TheMadDutchDude

They tried something and failed. Ryzen won't follow that same path, I can guarantee that. Calling it now. ;)

Tags: Add Tags