Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Using a PC that doesn't have an SSD - UGH!

TheMadDutchDude and Vault-Tec like this.
  2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

PAAAAIIIIN lol. That's like dial up pain when you are used to broadband :D

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Most of my friends are now Titan Xp owners. Three have bought one in the past week.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

bleeding everywhere...

...anyone got any superglue?

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well.... crap. There goes another crappy office chair...

[​IMG]

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

6pm. Still in office. Still on phone.

Run out of desk wine gums. Tea gone cold. Guess were swapping to the Scotch then...

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Pu$$y. :p (They censor "pu$$y" here? Seriously?!) I usually don't leave until 8.00pm. And cold tea is a way of life in the NHS (Scotch not so much, unfortunately).

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Decided to get a lathe and a mill too, huh? :p

9. RedFlames

Nope... took a chunk out of my finger cutting an onion...

...If i had a mill or lathe they'd be getting flogged to pay bills atm.

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

After milling that onion though, right? :p

RedFlames likes this.
  11. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

It appears that I am yet another victim of Intel's Atom C2000 bug. Just RMA my NAS motherboard.

12. RedFlames

onions are a band saw veg.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2018
  13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

After much pi$$ing about this evening (most of the day in fact...), I have decided that I am not using CentOS 7 as a desktop OS. Bugger this, I'm going back to Ubuntu.

EDIT: Instant performance difference under Ubuntu 17.10. OS is more responsive, hardware-accelerated video works out of the box, Chrome doesn't bring the system to a screeching halt... I thought it was the lack of SSD that was giving me performance headaches, clearly not...

Last edited: 20 Jan 2018
    Arboreal likes this.
  14. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ends up not only did i blow the motherboard yesterday but I also fried pretty much everything connected to it including the CPU :waah:

15. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

CentOS as a desktop? That's masochism! Were you running a GUI over the top?
    We used to run CentOS on out lightweight test mail servers (repurposed laptops...) and I did ask about adding a GUI as mu CLI skills were and are v limited and was told that it's doable but an arse ache.
    Interested to hear tha Ubuntu runs better and faster straight off. Must have a look at is again. I have an Atom netbook which is a snail running Win 7 basic, and believe it could (out of interest) be improved with Linux of some flavour and an SSD if I can be bothered to fully strip it down, as the HDD is in the bottom under the motherboard, but not accessible through a hatch...grrr.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Basic GNOME desktop. We use CentOS in work, so I figured I'd get used to it; after the frustrations of yesterday I'm happy to use CentOS purely as a CLI-only server OS :thumb:.

I'm fairly sure I read something about support for certain Atom chips in some OS being dropped at some point, but that might have been Windows. I'll have a look when I'm home later.

17. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Mum has killed four car batteries in six months, drives 6 miles a week an expects them to never go flat. Thank god for discount codes on eurocarparts

18. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

My procrastinating is really spiraling out of control.
    It used to be the case that stress gave me a boost of activity right before deadlines so I could still get stuff done, but now it's like I don't even feel stress anymore. I just mindlessly distract myself. Constantly feel terrible about it though (which I suspect feeds into this feedback loop of postponing).

I even procrastinate mundane stuff like brushing my teeth now. There are times I can stand in front of the mirror for half an hour, just thinking about random stuff, before I manage to lift my arms and grab the toothpaste. It sounds ridiculous when I write it down but it just happens.
    This isn't fun, "quirky" procrastinating anymore, it's a maelstrom of ****. Has my self-discipline totally atrophied? Am I incredibly lazy? In any case I'll have to solve this before I leave uni in 2019, my current attitude would be a(n even bigger) disaster in a professional setting.

I actually went to a uni-organised procrastination help course last year, but that didn't really improve anything. Guess I'll read the course book again (instead of doing work), put more effort in the exercises.
    (On that note, if anyone knows a good book about procrastination, planning, organizing etc. feel free to share)

19. RedFlames

Spent £5 i don;t have and 2 hours stuck in snow traffic to get to a paid gig... that then didn't pay....

Daily PC life for me.

Last edited: 21 Jan 2018
  20. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Could a plug in battery conditioner help if the logistics work? I have a Ctek that I keep my boat batteries alive with over the winter, one week a month plugged in works a treat. They do permanent quick release adaptors and ones with LED battery state indicators...

Thanks, it's an N550 2C/4T Atom, BTW.