1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's at 99% after over five hours. What the hell is it doing?!

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I get what you mean haha

You also forget the unique way MS do updates, so youll get a hotfix which is the superseded by a monthly update which is then again superseded by a cumulative update as the previous two fixes either didn't work and or caused further issues. Then you'll get a quarterly update to fix it which is then broken in the next patch and the cycle continues.
    Add to that if the update encounters a problem it restarts its download, usually at 99%, oh and the MS server you pull the updates from is being throttled so you'll get a download speed of about 20Kb's

Its that or it'll be a critical update to windows 10 3D paint

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Sending your data to the cloud... obviously :rollingeyes:

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It can smell the linux on you...

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I was about to defend Windows suggesting that everything always works out just fine on the business branch, since that's been my experience so far.

However as it happens I've just had the April 2018 update install and break Outlook (insta-close)
    I ensure Office is updated, no change.
    I start Outlook in safe mode and it opens - a-ha, probably a plugin and not Microsoft's fault after all.
    I find the plugin is Skype :rolleyes:

That said, it isn't a patch on the grief linux has given me in trying to get it just fundamentally work ;)

RedFlames likes this.
  6. legoman

Go into your users/Username/appdata/local/microsoft, rename the outlook folder (may need to close Skype onenote or anything that links to the OST files), bin off the outlook profiles in mlcfg32.cpl or what ever they changed it to. Fire up outlook and it should behave.

Been doing it all day for win7 and win10 that and binning KB4343205 on win 7 that randomly is blocking SSO and external links.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Decided to leave the double-charge on the tyre to see if it dropped off of its own accord: no. No, it did not. They've taken the payment twice. Lovely.

Guess I'll be calling in the morning, given they're ignoring my email. Bah.

8. RedFlames

I have an update pending a restart... place yer bets, whose finishes first... mine or gareth's

MLyons likes this.
  9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Well, at least October 2018 isn't fa.. Oh.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Mine actually finished, amazingly. I mean, there were a handful of other updates to install afterwards, 'cos Windows, but still.

11. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

My little Ricoh GR, my favorite camera, is dying. The shutter won't open any more on startup (only after taking a first picture), a semi-common problem apparently. I guess the dust and moisture from being in my right pants pocket every day for the last few years became too much.
    According to posts online there's no solution but to send it to a repair centre, which would probably cost me more than purchasing another one.
    What a shame.

12. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

This piston is worn beyond specification:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So this is my brother's 1995 Alfa 145 with the 1.7 16v boxer engine. It was stood for about 8 years before we came along to try and resurrect it. We put it in for an MOT test only to find it fail on mechanical issues rather than any rust. The main problem was an occasional missfire or a backfire through the inlet. A compression test was done and we found that 3 of the cylinders were at 170-odd psi but one was down in the 120-130 range. We tried sticking some oil in the plug hole but it didn't really change the reading, though I don't know if that's down to the boxer design. We decided to pull the engine since it was going to come out anyway to make changing the two timing belts easier and we found that a piece of the piston and ring had broken off and made a bit of a mess on its way out but thankfully didn't do any damage to the bore.

It was really surprising since it didn't have a concerning amount of blowby nor did it burn any oil. We did notice however that the exhaust ports on the bank with the broken piston were very white and showing that this bank was running very lean so I'm guessing that's what caused the piston to fail. I think we're going to try and source a piston, clean up the worse of the damage and do a leakdown test on the head to make sure the valves are ok.

Thankfully some engine parts are still available like new rings and a full engine gasket set. Oversize pistons are available but there's a couple of used pistons available which I know aren't ideal but we're trying to do it on a budget and if it all goes wrong then not a lot of money has been poured into it. The previous owner has put all new suspension on it and seemingly sorted out any rust.

There's currently only 1 road legal Alfa 145 with this boxer engine in the UK so it's quite a rarity and I hope we can get it running properly again.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Fire brigade / storm warning airhorn. It's the second night in a row that it goes off. It takes a few tries to fully spool up because it's broken so it goes on for ages. Then the firefighters it's supposed to wake up seem to be immune to it because they spool it up again another 2 or 3 times every 5 minutes.

14. legoman

Redeocrated the loo with last nights dinner, I ran into the loo, just didnt have time to open the lid on the loo before vomiting.

Likely causes for sudden morning projectile vomiting

Food poisoning - fish so maybe
    alcohol poisoning - one glass as opposed to my usual bottle a night of late (wahey)
    Pregnancy morning sickness - I'm male so strike that off

15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

And that is why I don't leave the lid down. Not doing that a second time! Ha ha.

Edit: finally get on the shed roof to start repairs and it starts raining. Bloody typical. Did manage to quickly whack a tarp on so won't have to wait for a dry spell before the next attempt.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2018
  16. Gareth Halfacree

Not life-ruining, but I was thoroughly disappointed - but given my northerly location and the time of year, unsurprised - to find that not a single one of these was ripe.

17. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Protein shakes. I need to gain some weight, but can't really eat anymore proper food, which means 2 protein shakes a day are entering my life.

They are every bit as disgusting as I remember them being.

18. RedFlames

Make your own?

19. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

My old boss (>4yrs ago) hits me up out of the blue, and basically offers me a job.
    I have to apply and jump through all the hoops, but the impression he has given is that its a done deal, if I want it...
    To add to that it also means a promotion (approximate comparison of company job levels); and the increase in salary that represents...

Reasons this is here:
    I've only been in current job/role for under a year
    Becoming a dad again just before/as this goes through will make the transition complex
    Turning it down would probably scupper any future offers

20. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It's the gloopy texture, anything I make with 'the right stuff' in it just feels like drinking PVA and water. Hence the lazy route.