1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mod of the Month Mod of the Month November 2018 in Association with Corsair

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dogbert666, 3 Dec 2018.

?

What are your favourite projects this month?

Poll closed 31 Dec 2018.
  1. The Venom Project by RandomDesign

27.6%
  2. SPARTACUS / MOD OF THE ARENA by abbas-it

55.2%
  3. Imperial Stardestroyer by ModellbauRD

31.0%
  4. Project: Machine by Reza Ghafarian

41.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Machine. Cleanliness is next to godliness.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

So we're including builds now? :eyebrow:

4. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Throw me a bone here.

Do you honestly think that’s what a 900D looks like stock?

AML_customs_pc and Dogbert666 like this.
  5. The_Crapman

Ok, here's your bone. The "modding" section of the "buildlog":

Modding
    # Vendor Item

1 Mainframecustom 10pin Dupont Connector
    Bought and installed. NOT MODDED.
    2 Mainframecustom 10pin Female Connector
    3 Mnpctech 14 Pin Carbon Fiber Black Cable Comb
    4 Mainframecustom 18pin Female Connector
    5 SilverStone Technology 2.4G Wireless Computer Remote
    6 Mainframecustom 20+4pin ATX Female Connector
    7 MDPC-X 23-AWG hook-up wire C-WHITE
    8 Mnpctech 24 Pin ATX Carbon Fiber Black Cable Comb
    Bought and installed. NOT MODDED.9 Mnpctech 4 Pin Carbon Fiber Black Cable Comb
    10 Mainframecustom 4pin EPS Female Connector
    11 Mainframecustom 4pin Fan Female Connector
    12 Mainframecustom 4pin Fan Male Connector
    13 Mainframecustom 4pin Power Female Connector
    14 Mainframecustom 4pin Power Male Connector
    15 Mnpctech 6 Pin Carbon Fiber Black Cable Comb
    16 Mainframecustom 6+2pin PCI-E Female Connector
    17 Mainframecustom 6+2pin PCI-E Female Connector
    18 Mnpctech 8 Pin Carbon Fiber Black Cable Comb
    19 Mainframecustom 8pin EPS Female Connector
    20 ColdZero 900D 5.25" Front Bay Cover
    21 ColdZero 900D Front Panel (Blank) - Customed
    22 ColdZero 900D Full Size MB Tray Cover
    23 ColdZero 900D Midplate - Long (Rev. 3) - Customed
    24 MDPC-X Anthracite Heat-Shrink 3.4:1 MEDIUM 1m
    25 MDPC-X Anthracite PRE-CUT Heat-Shrink 4:1 SMALL 50x
    26 MDPC-X Black Cable Management Clip BIG 10x
    27 MDPC-X Black Cable Management Clip JUMBO 10x
    28 MDPC-X Black Cable Management Clip MEDIUM 10x
    29 MDPC-X Black Cable Management Clip SMALL 10x
    30 MDPC-X Black Cable Sleeving MEDIUM 33m
    31 MDPC-X Black Cable Sleeving SMALL 100m
    32 MDPC-X Cable-Combs BLACK O-24
    33 MDPC-X Cable-Combs BLACK O-4
    34 MDPC-X Cable-Combs BLACK O-4-SR
    35 MDPC-X Cable-Combs BLACK O-6
    36 MDPC-X Cable-Combs BLACK O-8
    37 Mainframecustom Female ATX Terminal (18AWG/16AWG) – (100 Count
    38 Mainframecustom Female Fan Terminal – Molex (Single)
    39 ColdZero HDD Cover (Blank) Black
    40 Mainframecustom M1 Custom 2mm OD White 16 AWG - (25ft)
    41 Mainframecustom M1 Custom White 18AWG (25ft)
    42 Junter M3(3mm) Black Alloy Steel High Tensile Allen Bolts Hex Button (Set B Button Head) 300pcs
    43 Junter M3(3mm) Black Alloy Steel High Tensile Allen Bolts Hex Button (Set C Flat Head) 300pcs
    44 Mainframecustom Male 4pin Power Terminal – (5 Count)
    45 Mainframecustom Male Fan Terminal – (5 Count)
    46 Corsair Obsidian 900D
    47 Phanteks RGB LED Strip 40cm
    48 Mainframecustom Sata Power Crimp Style Connector
    49 Mainframecustom Sata Power Crimp Terminal – (5 count)
    50 EKWB Screw set UNC 6-32 30mm (20 pcs)
    51 EKWB Screw set UNC 6-32 5mm (20 pcs)
    52 ColdZero SSD Cover (Vertical) Black

Let's also just remind ourselves of the project log rules. Maybe just one will do. Let's say, hmmmm, rule 4?

So, we including builds now?

Last edited: 4 Dec 2018
  6. SaaintJimmy

SaaintJimmy Staff Lover of bit-tech

Imperial Stardestroyer takes it home for me

7. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

For me it's spartacus abbas-it is just a true artisan no one can do what he does.

I think the line between Client system builds and case modding is getting very very blurred.... but then this is the "Project LOGS" forums..... Singularity / coldzero

8. MT. Mods

MT. Mods Case Modder

Abbas takes my vote. True craftmanship and dedication.

9. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

Crapman - A little extreme there. You're saying that because his connectors, screws, and cable organizers are not modded, that it doesn't count? That's just silly. You could make a similar list for every single mod or build out there, as everyone buys computer parts or pieces to put together...

10. The_Crapman

No, everything is off the shelf. EVERYTHING. There isn't a single piece created or amended by that person. You want a case exactly like that? Here you go.

There is very little difference between that build and any pc that someone has put together themselves. What next?

Why don't I enter MOTY with one of these:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They're definitely mods, I'd own them, so they're my mods, right?
    [​IMG]

Just because you construct ikea furniture doesn't make it handmade. You don't buy a lego millennium falcon, build it and proclaim to be it's creator.

Project Machine is not a mod. It's PC Lego bought from Ikea.

Guest-56605 and Defyant Mods like this.
  11. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

"A little extreme" throwing in loose oxy's......How can facts be considered extreme?

"You're saying that because his connectors, screws, and cable organizers are not modded, that it doesn't count?" wasn't that obvious?

"That's just silly" says who?

"You could make a similar list for every single mod or build out there" a build yes but not a mod..... you seem be missing his whole point.

What he is saying is NOTHING is modded.... Period.

I'm not bagging his build i like it ! its sexy it's nice (it has zip ties!) it's clean as hell it's so damm clean it really does look like a render but it's not a case mod. Nor was it a project log.

Guest-56605 likes this.
  12. Vault-Tec

I see both sides of the argument here.

Firstly, so long as he made the cables up himself IMO then that constitutes a mod. Whenever I vote (and I usually do unless I miss it) I vote on what appeals to me at the time aesthetically. If there was proof beyond proof he did not do anything then fair enough, I would understand.

I would also like to say from a personal perspective that work in does not mean great out. I'm not going to name any names here (because we all like different things) but there are a few modders within the scene that completely overdo mods making them look gaudy and nasty. That's just my opinion. They usually get me onboard with their ideas and right up to about 50% I like what I see, then you turn one screw too much and that's it, ruined.

And look right, I am mainly criticising myself here. I've done several mods over the years and I know which ones I still like and those that I don't. None of us gets it right every time, including myself. I am my main critic and believe me, you could never understand what a critical brain and pair of eyes I have.

And I must have gotten it right at least once, because the results and so on all came back positive. This is another reason why I decided to tell B-T not to include any of my mods, because I am hard enough on myself. I mod for me, not for prizes. I do what I want, not for others. And whilst it stays like that I can enjoy it.

And like I said, work in does not mean prizes out. Everything I do will take me ten times longer than pressing send on a laser cutter. That doesn't, however, mean that the end results look better.

So yup, just a few cents there and some change for you all.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I have nothing to add, except to say that constructing your IKEA furniture actually makes you value it almost as much as if you'd built it by hand from scratch and considerably above a pre-fab off-the-shelf product: it's even known as the IKEA Effect.

14. Vault-Tec

I would also like to add. Anything water cooling (like real water cooling not AIOs) is custom and therefore constitutes modding, IMO. You don't run your case through a configuration and get a list of all of the parts you need that will fit and work. It takes planning, and creation.

That is why they call it a custom loop.

15. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

16. The_Crapman

I misread the list and thought the cables were all purchased, so my bad there. See further below.

[​IMG]

I don't have anything further to add, if Sleeving+custom loop+entire ColdZero catalogue=motm worthy then so be it. It saddens me greatly, but that's just my feelings and opinion.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  17. Vault-Tec

haha get your broom I'm calling shenanigans :D

The_Crapman likes this.
  18. SaaintJimmy

SaaintJimmy Staff Lover of bit-tech

I'm just going to say I saw a lot of worse situations in other MOTMs, with "not-so-modded" mods nominated, and we're even talking AIOs and pre-fabricated extensions here... but that's ok, it can happen.
    I understand every point of view stated here, he doesn't have a worklog, he didn't fabricate any of the parts other than cables and custom loop, while in this section you normally see scratch builds, extreme handworks and so on... on the other hand, that build is valuable in taste, execution and overall tidiness, that must be given.
    I still think all the other three nominations are way more fitting for a MOTM, but most people are attracted by minimalism so it will stand out anyway.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  19. abbas-it

abbas-it We came, we saw, we mod, you awe!

hi guys. what do i see here, am not exactly sure whether i follow you, but i just wanted to say something to the evolution of casemodding too, becuase its actually one of my favourite topics.
    i literally preach "only hand made is man made" here and thats wh i will also give my two cents to this discussion.
    in the last few years we have all seen the discussions and the mods like it was quoted here "bought in mounted lego type stuff."
    i can not stress the point i want to make though enough. I make every little peice of **** myself.. i never cut anything for competitive mods with lasers, cnc or 3d printers either, absolutely no automation. i leave nothing standard and if something is easy i throw it overboard straight away. i always assume that thats what someone else might do, so I do it different. I know, everyone likes to think this is what they do, but its becoming easier and easier all the time to pick up plans ideas from the net and automate their being built. taking more time, delving deeper into the theme, walking the extra mile on the inspiration highway and designing my personal version of something is the only way to go.
    while having made many what i like to call "cultural mods" like in this case SPARTACUS, i straight away leave the comfort of non paint sucking materials like aluminium and acrylics etc.. i always make the theme, but my version of it. never replicas.
    i just finished anothe one called LAGERTHA, THE SHIELD MAIDEN and she is yet another example of how we can combine modern day hardware with themes of the past. i do it not because its easy, but because its hard and it seems to be a way of doing things that no one else really does. i also dont like to go with the presently in themes. even though some of them are very inspiring.
    anyway,
    but i do agree that nicely placing hardware which has just been bought and not really much more is making it too easy. but never the less, they are unique in some way, in a way which can be replicated though.
    the automation subject is something that i am always against and dont want to get into too much detail again. i like the results of some modders like stefan ulrich who deosnt just slap the 3d printed parts together but puts effort into each part to make them really stand out.
    the point is, of course even if you change the screws or just stick ina LED strip, you have modified your case by definition.

i however will always make my parts by hand, makie details because they are hard, take accents and elements from the theme and derive some function for the parts. even though i have a laser cutter, cnc and 3d printer. its a different story when they are commisioned orders, like the spaceship i am now making, worklog is coming soon.
    but even their, i am making my own design because of course i am a star wars fan and star trek fan, but those ships were designing be someone, who i as a designer may never consider superior to me. i must aklways thinks, nice cgi or nice cad sketiching drawing etc.. i will make it in real life and it will be my design, because its harder. of course sucking plans out the net would be easy, but like i said, easy aint my style.
    I have projects that take from 200, 500, 750, 100 and even 2500 hours (ARMAGEDON)
    i sincerely hope that the hand made stuff in our common passion has a chance in the future. it takes more time and is then unique, but its getting more scarce by the day.
    i will stick to my line and hope to inpire the youngster here in the scene, not to be seduced by all the auomotive possibilites we now have, unles of course its a commisisoned build, thats different and the result and speed is all that counts.
    i for my part want to be able to call my style ART, "Functional Art"
    its the fine difference between the painting and the poster. they both look the same, but the painting was designed and made by and artist, the poster is a replica and was automatically printed.

mod on guys,,,,, and i am always glad to recieve votes for SPARTACUS MOD OF THE ARENA.750 hours of hand made modding passion :)

20. Vault-Tec

Yes exactly. Sometimes it's not what goes into it (as much as it should be, but there you go...) it's inevitably what pleases the eye at the end.

I do hope that you do not think I was implicating you in anything I said. I wasn't. I think your mods are incredible (because I mod too !) but at the end of the day like I say it's just about what individuals like to look at.

Tags: