Reviews Asus ROG Maximus XI Gene Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 14 Feb 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

You can get 2TB Intel 660p m.2 nvme drive for £200.00. While not as fast as your evos or scoobys pros, it's still over 3 times faster than a Sata m.2 (in theory).

It's a mad mad board, for a mad board world. Bonkers.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Great. Call me when there's an AM4 socketed version of this.

Corky42 likes this.
  4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Yes - in theory. In practice, as soon as you start shoving large amounts of data around (exactly the kind of workloads you'd being doing using it as a second mass storage SSD in your second M.2 slot) the 660p practically grinds to a halt from most reviews I've seen and performs worse than many SATA SSDs... Similarly, other cheaper/slower PCIe M.2 SSDs such as those from Adata aren't available in capacities as high as SATA models from the likes of WD, so for me, you either go all-out and kit the board out with proper M.2's such as the 970 Evo or if you're opting for a cheaper setup and mixing it up, go with one of those plus a 2TB WD Blue. The latter you can't do on this board, but getting shot of a bunch of cables probably isn't as high up the priority list in a micro-ATX case as it is in a small-ish mini-ITX one.

The_Crapman likes this.
  5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Super, thanks. When I get round to shrinking my rig down I'll either get a 1tb evo pcie, or switch my 960 to the back and get a 2tb Sata for the front, as the rear slot on my Z270i only does PCIe.

Tags: Add Tags