1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Review feat. Palit StormX

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 22 Feb 2019.

1. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I simply don't understand why AMD is setting voltages so high, when all accounts are that they are actually far higher than needed and are actively hindering performance.
    Do they just WANT to be known as the under-performing and power-hungry option?

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Because far from all cards can operate at those lower voltages.
    Yields of packages using an interposer and HBM are low enough already, if AMD started binning out packages that required higher voltages to operate their supply problems would be even worse.

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, AMD aren't doing it for fun, they're doing it because it's necessary to make sure that all cards run happily. Some cards will run fine at lower voltages but not all can.

That's why saying that you should buy one of these cards on the basis that you'll undervolt is dicey: it's a gamble on the silicon lottery.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

They will all operate at lowER voltages, but some not as low as others. They've given them the fail safe option, and over egged it a bit. Maybe expecting people to overclock?

It's not a gamble as such. They still perform OK at stock clocks and volts they're just a little hot and noisy.

If you don't need every ounce of the performance just enable Radeon chill.

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

What he said. My 580 can drop from 1150, to a 1120 before it starts having issues and while it does give a bit of improvement, mostly in Ark, it's not anything to really write home about.

6. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

My mistake. I was under the impression there was a rather consistent undervolt pattern.

7. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

900 series owners

Fizzban likes this.
  8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

No it's like overclocking, you need to just go backward :D

I'm pretty confident now that mine is not fully 100% stable as I was having issues with FC New Dawn that I did not get in 10 hours of Metro. Basically something was happening to the PCI bus and my WIFI card was vanishing, causing the game to crash. I looked it up and it has happened to others (Bookworm error) so it may be the game.

Then again I have also put the side panel back on the PC and the temps have gone up to 70, so that may even be why. It's still a very fast capable card though, but it is noisy. Then again I'm not sure what I was expecting because I deliberately WCed my Titan XP in anger because of the whoosing noise it made.

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Definitely this. I just got the 3rd best score on Time Spy for a 970 with a 7700k, but the 1660Ti is 50% faster. Even when I get the 980Ti in I've got, I'll have to push it just as hard to keep up. A worthy upgrade for those still holding onto a 970 and want to spend about the same again.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 25 Feb 2019
    Arboreal likes this.
  10. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Interesting to hear as a GTX 970 owner. I was thinking about a 980Ti next or a used Zotac 1070 mini. I only buy used these days other than storage. The £250 Vega 56 looks good, but will be hot & noisy for SFF. Green team has been my choice last 2 times for lower power use and heat. 1660 Ti should fit in nicely. More interested to see if 1650 is a gain over 1050 and still available in LP format.

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I game at 1920x1080 with a 970 Strix. If I was going to upgrade a 1660 TI would be ideal. I don't care about RTX. Gonna be a while before that takes off.

The_Crapman and Arboreal like this.
  12. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Dear readers,

It has come to my attention that the originally published version of this review was showing incorrect power and temperature data for the GTX 1060 in the graphs on pages 11 and 12. This was due to its entry in our graphing system not being updated with newer power/temperature data following a benchmark update. The issue has since been rectified, and all data in the graphs is correct as of this update.

No other data was affected, and the mistakes here did not affect the outcome of the review, but I still feel it’s important to be transparent in instances such as this.

We strive to record and present data as accurately as possible, as we understand that our data can affect purchasing decisions. As editor and the author of this article, this mistake falls on me, so I sincerely apologise.

I will be taking steps to ensure that this won’t happen again and have added notes to alert returning readers on the affected pages. I have also updated all other affected articles accordingly.

perplekks45 likes this.
Tags: Add Tags