1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build - In Progress ⭐ NANO-TV : a gaming PC in a vintage TV

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by kim, 22 Apr 2018.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

HI guys

I love PC modding for so long, without having the balls to mod myself, but I finally started and I am happy to share my first mod, hope some of you would enjoy it
    It is the first of my 3 projects to mod my own hardware
    this one is a tribute to AMD (before Ryzen)

- FX 8370 4.3 ghz
    -Gigabite 970 gaming SLI
    -R9 Nano
    -Samsung 960EVO nvme SSD
    -Aerocool Strike-X PSU
    -water-cooling CPU :
    XSPC ION, XSPC 140mm radiator
    2 x 140mm Corsair fans
    water-block, fittings, tubes and accessories from various brands of Asia

the hardware that I still miss as of now :grin:

16 go (2x8) of ram ( HyperX fury red, or if I can afford, the new AMD gaming memory)
    3 SSD HyperX Savage
    may be a second R9 nano...

THE CASE...
    The idea born last year after dismonting an old portable television from Radiola, I found the "shell" funny and I thought about building a PC inside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sorry for those crappy pics, I didn't mean to post it at that time, but unfortunately that's the only pics I have of the TV before modding it.
    The case wasn't deep enough for all the hardware, so I started by adding a few centimeters of plastic, heated, bended and glued
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and a fan grill from a vintage Pioneer car speaker
    [​IMG]
    the I used composite filler to unify the texture of the new shell
    [​IMG]
    many times I had to make the same operation because the composite filler becomes hard in a very short time, so I use small quantity of product
    [​IMG]
    I still have holes and scratches to fill, and a lot of work inside the case, but it starts to look like what I was aiming...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had a crack today, too many holes on this side I guess, I am actually fixing it and trying to strenghen this part of the case, but I have other holes to make here and there before final layers of composite filler
    [​IMG]
    on the top, I made some tiny holes for the screen knobs, because of course, I MUST put a screen inside of a TV shell :grin:
    I found a screen that fits the case not bad
    [​IMG]
    with a plastic window on the front, then I will have to mask the edges of the screen with black vinyl paper perhaps
    [​IMG]
    I used aluminium bars to hold the screen, using original holes made to hold the cathode tube, and sheets of alu to make a square case inside the curved one, more practicle to mount the hardware
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the electronic parts of the screen had to be moved on the right side to save some space on the left for the PSU
    [​IMG]
    but I cut a part of the controller shroud and used it to cover the electronic and kept the 4 spacers that I will use to hold the mother board tray, more or less like this
    [​IMG]
    The Aerocool Strike X PSU is great, it matches the colors of the case but it needs to be modified a bit, I started by moving the wires to the right
    [​IMG]
    because of it's placement, I have a very short space to route them
    [​IMG]
    also I think that there is a lack of light on the fan, so I added 4 red leds (better red effect when fan is on I hope)
    [​IMG]
    and a new paint, matching better the project
    [​IMG]
    I will use Bitfenix Alchemy cables, but I changed the color code
    [​IMG]
    the motherboard was a bit sad, all dressed in black, so I painted radiators in red, you can see a water-block from Freezemod, no idea yet if it's efficient or not as it is my first water-cooling, but if not, I will upgrade to XSPC raystorm (budget is my limitation, my only sponsor is me :grin:)
    [​IMG]
    you can also see one of the ram coolers, this is what I want to use for the ram, it comes from this kit of Adata 2000 mhz memory but the memory doesn't fit this mother-board, so I will only use the coolers
    [​IMG]
    well, that's all for now, I apologise for low quality of my pics, and my beginner skills, but I wish to become better and better with practise...
    thank you

David, adidan and _Prometheus_ like this.
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Great start. :D

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Oooh, interesting!

5. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Great concept!

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

This looks awesome. I'd love to do this to one of those 50s TVs. Watching :)

7. kim

kim hardware addict

thanks a lot to all of you guys :grin: it means a lot to me if even great modders like my project...updates soon

8. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Cant wait to see more loving this mod so far :thumb::thumb::thumb:

9. kim

kim hardware addict

hi guys...I'm happy to start again the work on my NanoTV, almost a year from last post, but I really couldn't spare no time for modding since...
    Started by making a fan grill for the pump fan using the original grill of the TV (it can be seen of first pics of the TV), but my first try to stick a rounded grill failed with a crack, so I cut a square part of the grill and cut a square hole in the shell to stick it firmly, and the composite filler will fill the unwanted parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    more updates soon...

Dot_Kappa and Defyant Mods like this.
  10. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Good to see this project alive again kim :thumb: Cant wait to see more (again) :rock:

Vault-Tec likes this.
  11. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you very much DEFYaNt, it means a lot to me, I'm very excited to finish that project, and I have a few other ones "on the fire" to come...

Defyant Mods likes this.
  12. kim

kim hardware addict

after first layer of composite filler...got a lot more to do before it looks clean...
    [​IMG]
    In the meanwhile, I started to cut a hoop out of plastic :): don't know what sort of)...in a way to make a nice rim for the window on this side, cuz it's pretty ugly as of now, I'll make it in 4 parts and stick it together, because I don't have larger enough layers of this material ...wish I have an electric scroll saw too:grin:, but filling and sanding will do the job...
    [​IMG]
    to give you an idea of the final color and shape I am trying to reach, I show you what came out as the best option for my TV, of course here it's a radio, but the red color with the shiny rim is just so beautiful...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Mar 2019
  13. Cheapskate

:lol: I'll admit it. I forgot this was your project. I know you more for being one of those rare active members. Good to see it back. I also like that you are hinting at more projects to come.

14. kim

kim hardware addict

thanks a lot Cheap...I'm definitely a slow modder :grin:, but I can't spend a day without coming here to watch projects, since 2010 I think...it took me some years before I had the balls to walk my first steps in the "big guys" courtyard :naughty:... but now I organised my life to save more time for modding, as it is really an amazingly artistic activity, a passion for me, who loves hardware and computers.
    I've got at least 5 projects, including the NanoTV. I've posted a summary of my projects in 2017, in the "modding" section, but my picture hosting site closed and it can't be seen anymore. My main project is a desk, I will talk about it after finishing this NanoTV:dremel:...thanks to all Bittech members for support and coments, it's a bigger reward, greater than any sponsor for me.

15. Cheapskate

Everyone of every skill set is welcome, just don't put a screwdriver in a live PSU.
    -Or paint hardwoods...
    -Or destroy an antique...
    OK, we do have a few things that set us off, but the PSU thing is for safety. :lol:

kim likes this.
  16. kim

kim hardware addict

:grin: I promise you I won't commit any of these felony :nono:
    I spent afternoon filing and sanding that rim...still a lot to do but that's all for today...
    [​IMG]
    thanks for watching

Last edited: 24 Mar 2019
    Vault-Tec and Dot_Kappa like this.
  17. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

And I thought my project was retro, this looks awesome! Very nice touch with the grilles.

18. kim

kim hardware addict

thank you Brett89...yeah :grin:, kinda "retro" but 70's design was so original, may be giving a new life to old vintage stuff is one of the new trend...see::winking:
    [​IMG]

Vault-Tec likes this.
  19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Good to see you back on the tools, Kim.

20. kim

kim hardware addict

TYVM Vault-tec...so happy to get back on it , this time, I won't side the tools 'till it's finished :grin:

Vault-Tec likes this.