1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Don't like to rush in the morning, tend to take around an hour, up at 6-6:15, leave at 7-7:15 so be at work for half 7ish :)

2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Ear infection. Hurts like hell.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Eldest was up all night with bacterial tonsillitis. Proper poorly, 40°C fever. Got her a prescription for erythromycin, so hopefully it'll start to clear up soon-ish.

4. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Ouch, I had that years ago. Nasty nasty stuff when it's bacterial. Thankfully easier to sort out, provided that they respond to antibiotics well. When I saw the doc about mine, she was fascinated, saying that she had only seen examples like that in medical text books.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aye, bacterial is far, far rarer than viral - which is why it's so blummin' bizarre that she's had bacterial tonsillitis three times now. At age seven.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

May want to look at whipping 'em out. Ours had a run of near-perpetual bacterial throat and ear infections of varying severity up until age 4 (15-20 or so). She then had her tonsils out, stopped the lot of it until just recently.

7. Gareth Halfacree

I had my own out for a very similar reason - though at the age of twenty-something, which my doctor was not happy about. Took about an hour to convince him I wasn't leaving the office without a referral for a tonsillectomy...

8. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

The fact that it's bacterial should mean the antibiotics respond better.

9. Gareth Halfacree

You wouldn't get antibiotics if it was a viral infection - they'd do nowt.

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

We ended up moving GPs on the basis of how pss poor they were at handling ours. A very "by the numbers" practice - if their textboox said that there's a 90% chance it's viral, then viral it is. Getting an appointment to start with was a pain because "it's probably viral, call back if it gets worse"... which is all well and good the first time, but not the 5th time, or 9th time, or 14th time. Note this was the receptionist providing the diagnosis here and refusing to book an appointment. When when you eventually battle to get an appointment, whatever stand-in GP made sure to stick with the viral diagnosis and make no more than a half-assed attempt to look down the throat to confirm said diagnosis.

She ended up with sepsis when she was 2 because "it was probably viral" and we were "probably just being over-worried parents"

I'm sure lots of GP practices are quite excellent. This was not one of them.

/rant

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

FWIW, my GP defaults to 'fat and/or faking it'.

12. Gareth Halfacree

I think there's a note on our profiles now that says something like "do not argue," after Esther, my youngest, was exposed to a suspected case of measles before she'd had her MMR. We rang up to explain the problem and to request a post-exposure prophylactic dose of MMR (which is what the British National Formulary states is the correct response to an unvaccinated child being exposed to a suspected measles case, not just a confirmed case 'cos by the time you've confirmed it it's too late.)

The doctor decided he knew better. Lots of "there's no confirmed outbreak," "I don't care what you've read on the Internet" (I didn't read it on the Internet, I literally had a copy of the BNF in front of me while I was on the call and told him to take his copy off the shelf and turn to page whatever-it-was), "I've spoken to Health England and we don't do that."

Eventually managed to convince a nurse at the practice to do it instead, about twelve hours before the PEP window would have closed. And guess what? Turned out the other kid did have measles after all. And I made sure the practice knew it.

He's been ever so polite on the phone ever since. Can't imagine why.

Eef. I would have thought that would get you the "pander to them for life" treatment, that.

IanW and MLyons like this.
  13. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Yup same. I recently went to see the doc (actually ended up seeing a nurse because a doctor appointment takes a month plus at our practice) for a cough that wasn't shifting. Made sure to read up on the NHS website before going in so I could make sure that I needed to go (I did, because diabetic), and whether to take anything with me (a sample of whatever it was that was being coughed up so that they could check for bacterial/viral and prescribe accordingly). So I turned up to see the nurse and she asked about coughing up stuff and I said that, as recommended by the NHS site, I had brought a sample "Noooooo thank you, I don't want to see that". After a little while of me coughing up a lung or two, "right, let's get you on the scales"... "Er, what has that got to do with my throat and chest?" - no answer, didn't get weighed.

After a very brief listen to my breathing she writes out a prescription for antibiotics, "Now, I'm not sure if these are going to work, it may be viral"... "Hence why I brought a sample in as recommended, so that could be checked..." - no comment, hands over prescription, appointment over.

14. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Played football for the first time in 2 years yesterday. Think my leg muscles had forgot what exercise was. Can hardly move my leg

15. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Do you only have the one leg?

16. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Only my right is hard to move, I suspect as it's the one I kick with.

17. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Could be worse. Guy on our team in work was playing football last week and dislocated his elbow. Bent right backwards apparently...

MLyons likes this.
  19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

You have another 3, quit yo whining.

MLyons likes this.
  20. MLyons

Only fell on my ass once and I blame the wet grass for that. Made my mate who plays weekly fall over though which was a good laugh.

Nope.
    [​IMG]